Do shared libraries work on HPUX???
Author Message
 Do shared libraries work on HPUX???

Hello,
I'm trying to compile Regina Rexx 0.08e on an HPUX workstation (B.10).
Does anyone know if dynamic shared libraries are possible.  Using the make
file created I compile it, but if I run the dynfunc.rexx which loads a couple
of libraries (libtest1.sl and libtest2.sl), I get the message:
can't open shared library

So, how can I get them in?
Jordan Krim

Mon, 12 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Do shared libraries work on HPUX???
: Hello,
: I'm trying to compile Regina Rexx 0.08e on an HPUX workstation (B.10).
: Does anyone know if dynamic shared libraries are possible.  Using the make
: file created I compile it, but if I run the dynfunc.rexx which loads a couple
: of libraries (libtest1.sl and libtest2.sl), I get the message:
: can't open shared library

They do on HP-UX 9.0x, but I can't confirm whether they do on HP-UX 10.x.
Does LD_LIBRARY_PATH include the directory where the libregina*sl files and
symbolic links reside ?

Does the error indicate which shared library can't be opened ?

Do you have a file called libregina.sl.0.08e, or just the symbolic links that
point to it ?

BTW This messy use of symbolic links will be removed in the next release of
Regina.

: So, how can I get them in?
: Jordan Krim

--
Cheers, Mark

 PO Box 203                          http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/
 Bellara                                AUTHOR of  |  MAINTAINER of
 QLD 4507                                 THE      |    PDCurses
 Australia                              Rexx/SQL   |     Regina
                Member of RexxLA: http://www.rexxla.org/

Mon, 12 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Do shared libraries work on HPUX???
% Hello,
% I'm trying to compile Regina Rexx 0.08e on an HPUX workstation (B.10).
% Does anyone know if dynamic shared libraries are possible.  Using the make
% file created I compile it, but if I run the dynfunc.rexx which loads a couple
% of libraries (libtest1.sl and libtest2.sl), I get the message:
% can't open shared library

I have used shared libraries with .08d on HPUX 10.10 & 10.20. You might have
to set SHLIB_PATH to include the directory containing the libraries, or
something like that.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Do shared libraries work on HPUX???

Quote:

>: Hello,
>: I'm trying to compile Regina Rexx 0.08e on an HPUX workstation (B.10).
>: Does anyone know if dynamic shared libraries are possible.  Using the make
>: file created I compile it, but if I run the dynfunc.rexx which loads a couple
>: of libraries (libtest1.sl and libtest2.sl), I get the message:
>: can't open shared library

>They do on HP-UX 9.0x, but I can't confirm whether they do on HP-UX 10.x.
>Does LD_LIBRARY_PATH include the directory where the libregina*sl files and
>symbolic links reside ?

Yes. Doesn't help.

Quote:
>Does the error indicate which shared library can't be opened ?

Yes.  It is librexxmath.lib.  It is in $HOME/bin, but has no symbolic link.
I compiled it and then installed (copied) it to $HOME/bin.  Is this wrong?
The same error occurs when running dynfunc.rexx and libtest1.sl and libtest2.sl
can't be opened.  Also, hanoi.rexx and libcures.sl.

Quote:
>Do you have a file called libregina.sl.0.08e, or just the symbolic links that
>point to it ?

In $HOME/lib I have both.  SHLIB_PATH has $HOME/lib and LD_LIBRARY_PATH has
$HOME/lib.

Quote:
>BTW This messy use of symbolic links will be removed in the next release of
>Regina.

Great!!!! But for now, I can't get it work, so what else could be wrong.
Here is the output of chatr for the 'regina' module.

regina:
         shared executable
         shared library dynamic path search:
             SHLIB_PATH     enabled   second
             embedded path  enabled   first  /users/xxxxxx/zzzzzzz/lib
         internal name:
             regina
         shared library list:
             dynamic   /tmp_mnt/users/xxxxxx/zzzzzzz/Regina-0.08e/libregina.sl
             dynamic   /usr/lib/libdld.1
             dynamic   /usr/lib/libM.1
             dynamic   /usr/lib/libc.1
         shared library binding:
             deferred
         static branch prediction disabled
         data page size: 4K
         instruction page size: 4K

Note that I made the libregina.sl dynamic by doing a chatr +l, but regina
doesn't include any info about librexxmath.sl.  Does it have to?
To add to the confusion, I am on an internal network, so I really want
to install it in my local directories ($HOME/lib, $HOME/bin) and have any
user access it.

Jordan Krim

Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Do shared libraries work on HPUX???

: >: Hello,
: >: I'm trying to compile Regina Rexx 0.08e on an HPUX workstation (B.10).
: >: Does anyone know if dynamic shared libraries are possible.  Using the make
: >: file created I compile it, but if I run the dynfunc.rexx which loads a couple
: >: of libraries (libtest1.sl and libtest2.sl), I get the message:
: >: can't open shared library
: >
: >They do on HP-UX 9.0x, but I can't confirm whether they do on HP-UX 10.x.
: >Does LD_LIBRARY_PATH include the directory where the libregina*sl files and
: >symbolic links reside ?

: Yes. Doesn't help.

: >Does the error indicate which shared library can't be opened ?

: Yes.  It is librexxmath.lib.  It is in $HOME/bin, but has no symbolic link.
: I compiled it and then installed (copied) it to $HOME/bin.  Is this wrong?
: The same error occurs when running dynfunc.rexx and libtest1.sl and libtest2.sl
: can't be opened.  Also, hanoi.rexx and libcures.sl.

I have no idea what librexxmath.lib is. It has nothing to do with Regina.

[...]

No, it is nothing to do with Regina.

: To add to the confusion, I am on an internal network, so I really want
: to install it in my local directories ($HOME/lib, $HOME/bin) and have any
: user access it.

I suggest you post this problem to the Regina mailing list.  There are a couple
of people there who run Regina on HP-UX 10 without problem.  They may be able
to help with your problem.

Cheers, Mark

 PO Box 203                          http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/
 Bellara                                AUTHOR of  |  MAINTAINER of
 QLD 4507                                 THE      |    PDCurses
 Australia                              Rexx/SQL   |     Regina
                Member of RexxLA: http://www.rexxla.org/
>of people there who run Regina on HP-UX 10 without problem.  They may be able
>to help with your problem.

OK.  I tried to find the Regina mailing list.  Where is it?
Jordan Krim

Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Do shared libraries work on HPUX???

: >I suggest you post this problem to the Regina mailing list.  There are a couple
: >of people there who run Regina on HP-UX 10 without problem.  They may be able
: >to help with your problem.
: OK.  I tried to find the Regina mailing list.  Where is it?

Sorry, I thought that the details of the mailing list were in one of the README
files, but it isn't.  Details about the Regina mailing list are on my home
page below.

From my home page:

A mailing list exists for the announcement and discussion of Regina related
matters. To subscribe to this mailing list, send an email message to the list

containing:

subscribe regina-l

Cheers, Mark

 PO Box 203                          http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/
 Bellara                                AUTHOR of  |  MAINTAINER of
 QLD 4507                                 THE      |    PDCurses
 Australia                              Rexx/SQL   |     Regina
                Member of RexxLA: http://www.rexxla.org/

Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Shared libraries on HPUX

2. shared Tcl/Tk libraries under HPUX

3. Packages, shared-libraries & HPUX

4. Error compiling tk4.1 shared libraries on HPUX

5. Getting shared libraries to work

6. Work library not same as current working library

7. Shared Variable Requirements The Shared Variable Working Group of the IEEE DASC is developing a

8. FORTRAN common in AIX shared library not shared at runtime (0/1)

9. C++ shared libs on hpux

10. --enable-shared on HPUX 10.20

11. Generating shared libtcl and libtk on HPUX 9.x

12. Shared libs for hpux?