Converting in-line OREXX comments
Author Message
 Converting in-line OREXX comments

I want to convert the in-line comments (prefixed by '--' as in Object-Rexx )
to standard Rexx comments /*  */
I can do

Parse var line beg '--' end
If end \= '' Then line = beg'/*'end'*/'

This assume that -- is the only delimiter on the line.
I don't see how to decode directly a line as
str=overlay(a,'--',1,1)||"--" -- overlay(a,b,1,1) '--' etc
1st and 2nd -- are literal strings, 3rd is the comment
delimiter, 4th one is part of the comment
I don't see if REXXCOMM for OS/2 at
http://www.*-*-*.com/
 do something if the literal '/*' is on the line. Is it decoded as a comment
delimiter?
any help welcome
Orion

Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:18:56 GMT
 Converting in-line OREXX comments
Hello there,

   I wonder whether a smart 'REXX' and 'Object Rexx' formatter may be
useful.

As I am now starting to attempt to translate Object REXX to NetRexx &
Java, a REXX formatter might be a comparable simply side effect of
this effort.

   Do you think it might be useful?

cheers, Tom. (www.Rexx2Nrx.com)

Quote:
> I want to convert the in-line comments (prefixed by '--' as in Object-Rexx )
> to standard Rexx comments /*  */
> I can do

> Parse var line beg '--' end
> If end \= '' Then line = beg'/*'end'*/'

> This assume that -- is the only delimiter on the line.
> I don't see how to decode directly a line as
> str=overlay(a,'--',1,1)||"--" -- overlay(a,b,1,1) '--' etc
> 1st and 2nd -- are literal strings, 3rd is the comment
> delimiter, 4th one is part of the comment
> I don't see if REXXCOMM for OS/2 at
> http://www.degeus.com/rexx/rexxcomm_english.html
>  do something if the literal '/*' is on the line. Is it decoded as a comment
> delimiter?
> any help welcome
> Orion

Wed, 09 Nov 2005 02:42:08 GMT
 Converting in-line OREXX comments

Quote:
>   I wonder whether a smart 'REXX' and 'Object Rexx' formatter may be
>useful.

Yes, IMHO.

Any unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action.  I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not reply

Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:40:39 GMT
 Converting in-line OREXX comments
Before I start to release RexxForm (the REXX/Object Rexx Formatter)
could we please solicit what are the requirements.

Simply throw in your thoughts on this entry, and I will try to figure out
how it can be resolved... with your help, preferably, of course ..

Tom (www.Rexx2Nrx.com)

Quote:

> >   I wonder whether a smart 'REXX' and 'Object Rexx' formatter may be
> >useful.

> Yes, IMHO.

Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:57:24 GMT
 Converting in-line OREXX comments
- convert in-line comments (--) to standard ones (/* */)
- convert tabs to blank
- number of blanks for indentation as a user parameter
- allow user choice for case (upper, lower, proper-noun, mixed) separately
for instruction-function names, variables names, labels names. An example in
reFormat.zip in http://cvie.free.fr/rexx.html

Orion

Quote:
> Simply throw in your thoughts on this entry, and I will try to figure out
> how it can be resolved... with your help, preferably, of course ..

Sun, 13 Nov 2005 03:27:19 GMT
 Converting in-line OREXX comments

Quote:
>Before I start to release RexxForm (the REXX/Object Rexx Formatter)
>could we please solicit what are the requirements.

Requirements is rather a strong word, but some things I'd like to see
are:

  User control over whether to indent a closing END

  User control over capitaization of, e.g., keywords, procedure
  names, variables.

  User control of indentation styles for each control structure

  User control of whether to indent the DO inside a THEN, ELSE
  or WHEN.

  User control over indentation for comments.

Any unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action.  I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not reply

Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:57:52 GMT
 Converting in-line OREXX comments
My personal behaviour is to release software due to requirements. If
nobody requires what you have developed, it may me useless ...

What my current work includes is to translate simple Onject Rexx
'classes'
to 'Java Classes' (via NetRexx, of course !!). Far away from final
release,
but obviuously a first step in the probable rigth direction.

If we succeed, you will be able to run any 'Object Rexx' Program in a
Java Environment. Maybe useful, I do hope, at least  ...

There are a lot of open issues, but I am sure with Rony Flatschers
help I will be able to resolve them until the end of this year (2003).

Thus, please throw in your thoughts on this entry ,...

Thanks in advance, again,
Tom.

See www.Rexx2Nrx.com   for the current state of the art of my
conversion efforts.

Quote:

> >Before I start to release RexxForm (the REXX/Object Rexx Formatter)
> >could we please solicit what are the requirements.

> Requirements is rather a strong word, but some things I'd like to see
> are:

>   User control over whether to indent a closing END

>   User control over capitaization of, e.g., keywords, procedure
>   names, variables.

>   User control of indentation styles for each control structure

>   User control of whether to indent the DO inside a THEN, ELSE
>   or WHEN.

>   User control over indentation for comments.

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 07:14:55 GMT
 Converting in-line OREXX comments

Quote:

> My personal behaviour is to release software due to requirements. If
> nobody requires what you have developed, it may me useless ...

> What my current work includes is to translate simple Onject Rexx
> 'classes'
> to 'Java Classes' (via NetRexx, of course !!). Far away from final
> release,
> but obviuously a first step in the probable rigth direction.

> If we succeed, you will be able to run any 'Object Rexx' Program in a
> Java Environment. Maybe useful, I do hope, at least  ...

> There are a lot of open issues, but I am sure with Rony Flatschers
> help I will be able to resolve them until the end of this year (2003).

> Thus, please throw in your thoughts on this entry ,...

I agree it is a right direction to go in. Java's promise of a universal
environment should be made much of. So I think your work is excellent in
concept though I've never used your results so I can't say how good they
are :-)

--
Patrick Herring
http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/cgi-bin/makeperson?P.Herring

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 18:19:12 GMT

1. Counting commented lines (full-line comments only)

2. OREXX vs JAVA: comments on SOM?

3. inline comments, IDs

4. multi-lingual inline comments using rd...

5. Correction/Clarification on my comment on inline PERFORMs

6. Observation on Using // as the COBOL Inline Comment Indicator

7. lf as line terminators -- has this changed in orexx

8. Orexx - one line death

9. Converting Intel Masm to AT&T Gas, and inline assembly

10. How to convert this windows inline assembly to Linux

11. Converting Intel Masm to AT&T Gas, and inline assembly

12. Inline editing (non-command line)