Object REXX: incompatibility with T-REXX ?
Author Message
 Object REXX: incompatibility with T-REXX ?

Occassionally, variables get built *outside* the scope of a REXX program, like
in the following code-fragment in T-REXX:

   ... cut ...
   CALL SysFileTree input, "files", "FO"        /* <--- */

   DO i = 1 TO files.0
      CALL work_on_file files.i    /* get EA's and show them */
   END
   ... cut ...

The variable gets defined in SysFileTree(), hence OO-REXX comes up with the
errormessage on invocation of the respective program where such a variable is
referenced the first time:

    28 *-*       DO i = 1 TO files.0
   REX0041E: Error 41 running D:\APPS\os2\orexx\rony\dmp_eas.CMD line 28:  Bad
             arithmetic conversion
   REX0404E: Error 41.1:  Nonnumeric value ("FILES.0") used in arithmetic
             operation

Regards,

---rony

Mon, 12 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Object REXX: incompatibility with T-REXX ?
Quote:

>Occassionally, variables get built *outside* the scope of a REXX program, like
>in the following code-fragment in T-REXX:

>   ... cut ...
>   CALL SysFileTree input, "files", "FO"        /* <--- */

>   DO i = 1 TO files.0
>      CALL work_on_file files.i    /* get EA's and show them */
>   END
>   ... cut ...

You must be invoking the REXX program using the ORX.EXE program rather than
fully enabled.  SysFileTree (and other programs that use the RexxVariablePool
API) are directly linked to the file REXX.DLL.  If you are not running fully enabled,
then they are actually calling the classice Rexx REXX.DLL and Object Rexx nevers
sees the API call.

Rick McGuire, IBM Object REXX Development

- Drag me, drop me, treat me like the Rexx object that I am!

Tue, 13 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Porting from REXX on VM to Object REXX on AIX or W2000

2. for help about vispro rexx and Object REXX

3. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

4. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

5. REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

6. Support for REXX and Object REXX for Windows/AIX

7. Object REXX/VX-REXX DB problems

8. VX-REXX and Object REXX under OS/2

9. Object REXX & VX-REXX under OS/2

10. Will Object REXX replace REXX