PC REXX: Recommendations Requested 
Author Message
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

    As a CICS systems programmer in a large mainframe environment I like
REXX for the way it gives me results in a quick and easy fashion. I
understand it's possible to run REXX on my PC but I know little about
the various products available, or their respective merits.

    I would appreciate comment, both personal and public, based on the
fact that I'm using a Windows 95 PC and looking for something close to
the type of REXX I'm familiar with. Vendor contribution welcome.

Simon Elliott



Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

Quote:

>    As a CICS systems programmer in a large mainframe environment I like
>REXX for the way it gives me results in a quick and easy fashion. I
>understand it's possible to run REXX on my PC but I know little about
>the various products available, or their respective merits.

>    I would appreciate comment, both personal and public, based on the
>fact that I'm using a Windows 95 PC and looking for something close to
>the type of REXX I'm familiar with. Vendor contribution welcome.

>Simon Elliott


You could have a look at http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/rexx/.

Personally I use Rexx for OS/2 and AIX. I know Regina Rexx, though.
That's available for Windows 95 too. See
http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/#REGINA.

rl

--
Rolf Lochbhler
Vermont, USA



Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

I have found Peersonal Rexx works fairly well in the 95 environment and should
provide most of what you need.

Look for it at Quercus http://www.quercus-sys.com/index.htm

Hope that helps.

Jim West



Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

Should say Personal Rexx. Can't program can't type.

Jim West



Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

Quote:

>     I would appreciate comment, both personal and public, based on the
> fact that I'm using a Windows 95 PC and looking for something close to
> the type of REXX I'm familiar with. Vendor contribution welcome.

Slightly lateral, you can combine an Xedit look-alike with a Rexx macro
processer if you take KEDIT from Mansfield software.

(Xedit is to ISPF/EDIT as Ferrari is to Ford)

--
Roy Gardiner



Fri, 23 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested
You can combine a FREE Xedit look-alike with a Rexx macro processor if you
take Regina and THE, both available at http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/.
If you are used to MVS or CMS, you'll have to come up to speed on Rexx's
native I/O in place of EXECIO.
- Peter Buck
Quote:
> -----Original Message-----

> Sent: Monday, October 05, 1998 9:37 AM

> Subject: Re: PC REXX: Recommendations Requested


> >     I would appreciate comment, both personal and public,
> based on the
> > fact that I'm using a Windows 95 PC and looking for
> something close to
> > the type of REXX I'm familiar with. Vendor contribution welcome.

> Slightly lateral, you can combine an Xedit look-alike with a
> Rexx macro
> processer if you take KEDIT from Mansfield software.

> (Xedit is to ISPF/EDIT as Ferrari is to Ford)

> --
> Roy Gardiner



Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

Quote:

>     I would appreciate comment, both personal and public, based on the
> fact that I'm using a Windows 95 PC and looking for something close to
> the type of REXX I'm familiar with. Vendor contribution welcome.

I presume that the original request was posted to the newsgroup
comp.lang.rexx, since I haven't seen it here on the REXXLIST
mailing list yet.  So to bypass the 2-4 days before Netnews has
managed to pass the item(s) on to the mailing list, would you
please CC me directly when you reply to the NEWSGROUP?

Which Rexx (and which environment) are you familiar with?

Regards,
$$/      F. Scott Ophof                 Visit http://www.RexxLA.org !

RexxLA: The REXX Language Association (for everyone interested in REXX)



Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

Quote:

> Slightly lateral, you can combine an Xedit look-alike with a Rexx macro
> processer if you take KEDIT from Mansfield software.

KEDIT is not XEDIT and KEX is not REXX. Each is missing some functionality.
However, the last time that I used KEDIT it worked very well in conjunction
with Personal REXX.

Quote:
> (Xedit is to ISPF/EDIT as Ferrari is to Ford)

Sorry, but each has features that the other lacks. I'd say that XEDIT is to
ISPF/PDF as a submarine is to an airplane; neither is a good substitute for
the other. Now if IBM would just deliver a converged editor the cleanly
integrates the functionality of both, plus regular expressions, ...

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz



Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

Shmuel,

Quote:
>Sorry, but each has features that the other lacks. I'd say that XEDIT is to
>ISPF/PDF as a submarine is to an airplane; neither is a good substitute for
>the other. Now if IBM would just deliver a converged editor the cleanly
>integrates the functionality of both, plus regular expressions, ...

then we would have a flying submarine - the commander: would that be an airforce or a navy
captain? If I understand the military world correctly, it would probably be an army
captain.......
with kind regards

Volker Bandke
(BSP GmbH)



Wed, 28 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

Quote:


> >Now if IBM would just deliver a converged [version of XEDIT and
> >SPF that] cleanly integrates the functionality of both, [...]
> then we would have a flying submarine [...]

Sadly enough the 3270 architecture's limitations don't allow a
converged version of my own ideal; XEDIT/SPF/Kedit/THE/Sedit.
But Kedit does allow us to turn _it_ into a converged version of
XEDIT and SPF (if the folks at Mansfield would be so kind as to at
least implement the concept of local prefix macros).
That converged version running on a (not too) thin client that is
connected to a fat (or "large-scale") server might be what I could
see as an ideal solution.  I know, I'm a dreamer...  :-)

Regards,
$$/      F. Scott Ophof                 Visit http://www.RexxLA.org !

RexxLA: The REXX Language Association (for everyone interested in REXX)



Wed, 28 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested
I've noticed references to a Rexx mail list.  Could someone please let me know
how to join it?

TIA




Sat, 31 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

Quote:

>I've noticed references to a Rexx mail list.  Could someone please let me know
>how to join it?

It is the same as this newsgroup so you don't need to.
--

------ http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/users/ian.collier/imc.html

New to this group?  Answers to frequently-asked questions can be had from
http://rexx.hursley.ibm.com/rexx/ .



Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

Quote:

> I've noticed references to a Rexx mail list.  Could someone please let me know
> how to join it?

Send email to:

In the body, put:
   SUBSCRIBE REXXLIST Jerry Prather
The subject line can be anything you like.
Then follow the instructions in the mail you receive.
Please save the items you receive from LISTSERV, so you'll know
where to send listserv-commands, and how to unsubscribe...

If you already read the comp.lang.rexx newsgroup, ignore the
above, since that newsgroup and the REXXLIST mailing list are
cross-gated (what is posted to one is copied to the other).

Regards,
$$/      F. Scott Ophof                 Visit http://www.RexxLA.org !

RexxLA: The REXX Language Association (for everyone interested in REXX)



Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 22 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

2. Kedit & THE (was Re: PC REXX: Recommendations Requested

3. Sun APL Recommendations Requested

4. Request for Recommendation of Reports or Articles about Eiffel

5. Clipper 87 / dBaseiii request - network recommendation?

6. Book recommendation requested

7. Book recommendation requested

8. Recommendations requested

9. Request: recommendations for books on Oberon

10. request for book recommendations

11. request for book recommendations

12. Request for book recommendations

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software