IBM Object rexx for Windows 98 - problem installing
Author Message
 IBM Object rexx for Windows 98 - problem installing

Has anyone successfully installed IBM Object Rexx for Windows98?  How
does one undo the 'system file check' problems created with those 6
DLLs?  I've reinstalled the DLLs from the windows master disk, and still
the SFC is complaining.  I've even figured out how to lobotomize the
SFC, and the blasted thing is STILL complaining.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

       Protect privacy, boycott Intel: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Member: DNRC            Watcher: Babylon 5              User: OS/2 Warp

        If you're going to do something, do something worth doing.

Thu, 17 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM Object rexx for Windows 98 - problem installing

Quote:

>No problems here. My best suggestion is to go to
>http://www.msn.com/

>near the bottom of the web page on the left side under Microsoft is a link
>to Windows Updates.
>There you will find a link to Product Updates.
>There you will find a bunch of Win98 updates. I think the Win98 Service Pack
>1 might do the trick.

I just ordered service pack #2 - I did try reinstalling the Y2K service
pack - didn't help.

Quote:

>My reasoning is that I got DSL on June 15 and then applied a lot of Win98
>updates. When I did a DIR listing on the 3 DLLs you mentioned:

>Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

>VER      DLL        12,496  06-15-99  3:17p VER.DLL
>LZEXPAND DLL        23,696  06-15-99  3:15p LZEXPAND.DLL
>COMMDLG  DLL        88,544  06-15-99  3:17p COMMDLG.DLL

>Give me the names of the 3 other DLLs and I'll look at my file sizes and
>date/time stamps. Hopefully Service Pack 1 will refresh all 6 DLLs.

>With the web page, you can see your machines "installation history" for the
>Win98 updates. It's a pretty slick and easy.

I'll look into this tonight - thanks!

Quote:

>Alternatively you could uninstall Rexx, but I doubt that would fix the
>problem of old DLLs.

It didn't.

Quote:

>Also you could go to
> http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/orexx/
>and get the latest OREXX update. I doubt this would fix the problem but you
>should have the latest version of OREXX just for good form.

Already done.  I've learned with IBM to do a search for updates to a
product before doing the first install of the product.

Quote:

>Also you could just reinstall Win98. I had to do that once with Win95 after
>I'd been using the machine for a long time. I expect you would get a
>"refresh" of system files. In my experience I didn't lose any applications
>or customizations. This would be my last resort, but what's to lose.

UGH!  Last resort is an understatement.  I spent a week getting the LANs
and hardware profile correct - I don't want to do that ever again.  I'd
restore my most recent backup, but my DAT drive died the day after I
installed OREXX - waiting for the replacement now.

Quote:

>And NEVER let a new application replace a DLL with an older one. You should
>always get a prompt saying "do you want to keep the file" - answer YES.

The Orexx installation didn't ask...

Quote:
>Good luck.

Thanks, I'm going to need it.

       Protect privacy, boycott Intel: http://www.bigbrotherinside.org

Member: DNRC            Watcher: Babylon 5              User: OS/2 Warp

        If you're going to do something, do something worth doing.

Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. IBM Object REXX for Windows Evaluation copy available

2. Windows NT Object REXX - IBM fixes/CSDs?

3. RexxGMSQ just released---IBM Object Rexx---MS SQL Server APIs for MS Windows NT

4. Install Clipper 5.3 at Windows'95/98

5. Installing Ruby using Windows 98

6. MF NetExpress won't install in Windows 98

7. Pmw: please help with Windows 98 install

8. Object Rexx problems with cgi's when using IBM internet connection server

9. REXX for Windows 98

10. was Re: 4.01Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

11. 4.01 - Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

12. Digitalk smalltalk v1.1 problem running under windows 98