New front page for http://www.python.org
Author Message
 New front page for http://www.python.org

In our never-ending quest to serve python users better, we've changed
the lay-out of the front page of the Python website:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

We hope you like the new lay-out.  The front page now contains three
sections:

1. An explanation of the general lay-out of the site; in particular an
enumeration of the items you find at the top of every page on the
Python website, and two or three other important links like the FAQ.

2. Important announcements.  This is stuff we want to push until
you're sick of it. <wink>

3. Recent releases and other news.  This is a list of items extracted
from the comp.lang.python.announce newsgroup.

This third item is the reason for this post.  We are always watching
the newsgroup for announcements, but to make the process more
efficient, we could use some help.  We'd like to encourage you to
include two or three lines of HTML in your post to c.l.py.a (say, at
the very end) that we can paste directly into the front page, if we
decide to include it (for various reasons we have to reserve judgement
of what goes there).

The HTML should look like this:

        <P><A HREF=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ">PackageName 1.0</A> - short
        description of not more than one sentence.  (DD-Mon-YY)

We urge you to add a version number.  You are allowed *one* link --
this should ideally point to a page with more info about the package,
not just to a tar or zip file or an ftp directory listing.  The date
should be in parentheses, formatted as shown, e.g. 29-Jul-98; this
should be the date of the c.l.py.a posting.

If you don't include HTML in your c.l.py.a posting, we may still add
you to the front page if we think your announcement is important
enough.  Even if you do include HTML, we may edit or ignore it.  We
want to ensure that the collection is of maximum value for the Python
community, which means we may have to select items to avoid crowding.

DO NOT SEND US REQUESTS TO INCLUDE HTML DIRECTLY.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~guido/)

[Moderator's note: the HTML markup mentioned above will be inserted
by the c.l.py.a moderators if submissions don't include it.]

--
-------- comp.lang.python.announce (moderated) --------

Python Language Home Page:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT