Python chapter in "Handbook of Programming Languages"
Author Message
 Python chapter in "Handbook of Programming Languages"

A 120-page python chapter I wrote has just been published by Macmillan.
It's in the _Handbook of Programming Languages_, Volume 3: Little Languages
and Tools, ISBN 1578700108.  The best description on the Net I've found so
far seems to be at Computer Literacy's online pages:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

It's listed at amazon.com too:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

but search on the ISBN if I munged some of those numbers.  I'm going to
maintain a small page about the Python chapter too, at:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~lutz/about-hopl.html

Details: The chapter introduces Python, provides a short tutorial, peeks at
Pyhon/C integration, and shows a few larger examples at the end.  Some of it
parallels _Programming Python_, but most of the examples are new, and many
expand on ideas in that book.  The chapter was written a year ago, but is
still mostly up to date.  The Handbook volume itself also includes a Tcl/Tk
chapter by Cameron Laird, as well as chapters on Perl, awk, SQL, and others.

Cheers,
Mark L.
---
PS- While I'm in an announcing mood: I've also written a new page that
describes major Python changes since _Programming Python_ was first
published (Oct '96): http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~lutz/errata-python-changes.html.
Any and all comments are welcome; consider it a new appendix :-).

<P><A HREF=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;>Handbook
of Programming Languages</A> - Chapter on Python in Volume 3, Little
Languages and Tools, ISBN 1578700108.  (12-Aug-98)

<P><A HREF=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~lutz/errata-python-changes.html">
Programming Python: Errata/Updates</A> - errata and summary of Python
language changes since Python 1.3 for the Programming Python book by
Mark Lutz.  (12-Aug-98)

--
-------- comp.lang.python.announce (moderated) --------

Python Language Home Page:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 29 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Wrox Press publishes "PHP String Handbook"

2. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

3. "Einf├╝hrung in Ruby" chapter 2 available

4. Two new "AOA" Chapters

5. "Knowledge Systems and Prolog", chapter 3.

6. Smalltalk is not a "programming language"?

7. "reversed dataflow" programming language

8. "The Implementation of Functional Programming Languages"

9. "FORGET C" - New HOT Programming Language

10. "History of Programming Languages" by Wexelblat

11. "human factors" and programming languages

12. Announcing "The F Programming Language"