Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark
Author Message
 Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

Hi all,

 - Out of the following set of scripting languages:
     Perl, Python, Rexx, Tcl
   do you prefer one over the others?
 - Do you think one is inherently better than the others?
 - Or aren't you sure?

NOW IS THE TIME TO FIND OUT!

I have prepared an interesting small programming problem and have collected
a number of implementations for it in C, C++, Java and Lisp.

Comparing these programs, one finds that there are substantial differences
between the different languages (such as for program length, programming
time, run time, memory requirements), but that the differences between the
individual implementations even within one language are even larger.

I would now like to extend this investigation to scripting languages:

  o Are differences between implementations using the same language
    smaller or even larger than for "standard" programming languages?

  o Do systematic differences between different scripting languages
    exist?

  o How do the scripting languages compare to standard programming
    languages such as C or Java?

If you are interested in participating in this investigation please create
an implementation of the "Phonecode" benchmark problem in your favorite
scripting language and submit it to me. I will make the results available to
you after the evaluation. The effort required is typically somewhere between
1 and 8 hours.

For a description of the programming problem etc., see
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~prechelt/phonecode/

NOTE THAT THIS PROGRAM COLLECTION EFFORT CLOSES AT DECEMBER 18, 1999.

Happy programming!

  Lutz

P.S.: You sure know at least ONE other person who might be interested
      in this, right?  Please tell him or her!

Lutz Prechelt   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~prechelt/ | Whenever you
Institut f. Programmstrukturen & Datenorganisation | complicate things,
Universitaet Karlsruhe;  76128 Karlsruhe;  Germany | they get
(Phone: +49/721/608-4068, FAX: +49/721/608-7343)   | less simple.

Quote:

--
----------- comp.lang.python.announce (moderated) ----------

python Language Home Page:   http://www.*-*-*.com/
Python Quick Help Index:     http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 05 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

2. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

3. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

4. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

5. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

6. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

7. LAST CALL - Postdoc "Intentional Programming"

8. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

9. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

10. Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS

11. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

12. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"