KOffice article
Author Message
 KOffice article

An article on the KOffice office suite talks a bit about the
spreadsheet component's use of Python.  New spreadsheet functions are
written in Python, and you can use this to do arbitrary things in a
spreadsheet.  Quoting from the article:

      Since the same calculations recur frequently in spreadsheets,
      KSpread enables users to insert buttons in tables and to assign
      functions to them. When the user clicks on the button, the
      specified function will be executed. Insofar as these functions
      may consist of any python script, it is possible to accomplish
      far more than numerical calculations using these function
      buttons. For example, retrieving, analyzing and displaying data
      from the Internet or a local network is a potential function
      which could be so initiated.

One application that immediately springs to mind is a stock tracking
spreadsheet that uses urllib to retrieve current stock prices from
quote.yahoo.com or some other Web site, and therefore always has the
correct valuation of your portfolio.

The full article is at http://www.*-*-*.com/

==
A.M. Kuchling                   http://www.*-*-*.com/
If I can't picture it, I can't understand it.
    -- Albert Einstein

--
----------- comp.lang.python.announce (moderated) ----------

Python Language Home Page:   http://www.*-*-*.com/
Python Quick Help Index:     http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 10 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. KOffice article

2. Silly Articles (Articles or misplaced ones).

3. simple file i/o (Article 4882 in comp.lang. (Article 4885 in comp.lang.oberon)

4. Java Articles

5. Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.

6. APL2/2 article in OS/2 Developer

7. amusing article

8. good article about smalltalk in german computer magazine

9. BYTE Magazine article

10. Smalltalk Article