mpage/nenscript/a2ps manipulations
Author Message
 mpage/nenscript/a2ps manipulations

Am trying to print text files from a Linux/PP200 box using
gv3.5.8 (very nice program!). Can treat .ps and .pdf without
problems - however, text is another matter.

nenscript - I am used to enscript, and would like to use
nenscript. However, I cannot write the output to another
file. According to the man pages for nenscript, the
-pfilename option should write the ouptut to filename as
a .ps file. Then I can run gv to print this out - however,
this does not work (at all!) - no output and nothing is
sent to the printer (NEC860 - NOT a ps printer). Any hints
on what I am doing wrong.

mpage - using "mpage -1 file.txt > file.ps" I can do the above.
However, I cannot eliminate the bordering box, and thus
can't do anything as simple as print out a letter.
Can anyone tell me the option for eliminating the bordering box?

Alternatively, is a2ps available for linux???

Many thanks - the above email is bogus. Please use

Thu, 28 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 mpage/nenscript/a2ps manipulations

Quote:

>Am trying to print text files from a Linux/PP200 box using
>gv3.5.8 (very nice program!). Can treat .ps and .pdf without
>problems - however, text is another matter.

>nenscript - I am used to enscript, and would like to use
>nenscript. [...]

>Alternatively, is a2ps available for linux???

I've used both genscript (http://www.iki.fi/"mtr/genscript/), a
program very similar to enscript, and a2ps successfully under linux. I
personally prefer genscript.

rolf

Thu, 28 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 mpage/nenscript/a2ps manipulations

Robert> Am trying to print text files from a Linux/PP200 box using
Robert> gv3.5.8 (very nice program!). Can treat .ps and .pdf without
Robert> problems - however, text is another matter.

Robert> Alternatively, is a2ps available for linux???

Of course it is!  Actually it is very hard to have a program compile
somewhere, but not on Linux :)

a2ps 4.10 (tar.gz and rpms) is available on

        http://www.inf.enst.fr/~demaille/a2ps/

A significant difference it has with the other tools, is it's ability
to encapsulate processing of many different type of files (ps,
texinfo, dvi, roff, etc. etc.).

A single interface to do everything!

Here's a piece of the www page:

Its brand new features are:

   * Style sheets. The languages support is no longer hard coded. a2ps now
     comes with a set of style sheets, easy to understand, patch and
     develop. Regular expressions can be used. Here is an example.

   * Automatic style selection. A stand alone file allows you to define the
     rules (on the name, or on the result of a call to `file (1)') that
     automatically select a style sheet.

   * Delegations. This gives you a uniform access to most postscript
     producers, such as Netscape (HTML to PostScript), psnup (PostScript to
     PostScript), groff (roff to PostScript). Actually anything you want!
     Here is a good example:

     gargantua demo $ a2ps ogonkify.1 glibc.dvi.gz a2ps.texi -o demo.ps
     [ogonkify.1 (roff, delegated to Groff): 3 pages on 2 sheets]
     [glibc.dvi.gz (compressed, delegated to Gzip-a2ps): 601 pages on 301 sheets]
     [a2ps.texi (texinfo, delegated to texi2dvi): 81 pages on 41 sheets]
     [Total: 684 pages on 342 sheets] saved into the file `demo.ps'

     There are more details here.

   * (Weak) PPD support. Which means there is automatic fonts downloading.
     It also means that you can break through the 13 basic Level 1
     PostScript fonts, and go to the 35 Level 2 (I hate Times, Palatino is
     much better :-).

   * Named outputs (printers etc.). Symbolic outputs are much more powerful.
     For instance you may define `file' to be the symbolic output `> $N.#.',
     which means that `a2ps foo.c bar.h -P file' will save the PostScript
     into `foo.ps'.

   * Contributions. Some tools are provided with a2ps: Card which prints
     reference cards of your favorit programs, psmandup which helps you to
     print Duplex on non Duplex printers, and fixps which automatically
     fixes most common problems in PostScript files.

   * Version control. Version control is supported the way GNU emacs does,
     e.g., in the previous case, if `foo.ps' existed, it has been moved as
     `foo.ps~', or `foo.ps~1~', or destroyed: upon your own choice.

   * Encodings. Many encodings are supported, most notably the ISO Latin 2,
     3, 4, 5 and 6 are quite well handled, thanks to Ogonkify (by Juliusz
     Chroboczek);

   * Output Design is customizable (colors, fonts etc.);

   * Pretty Printing of course many programming languages are supported;

   * Native Language Support the interface may be either in Catalan, Dutch,
     English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Polish, Spanish and Turkish
     (See the translation page).

Best regards,
        Akim

--
P-mail: Akim Demaille, 107 rue Bobillot, F-75013 Paris, France

V-mail: +33 1 45 81 78 68

Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 mpage/nenscript/a2ps manipulations

:mpage - using "mpage -1 file.txt > file.ps" I can do the above.

Is anyone maintaining mpage?  I really like it, but there's a few odds
and ends that it doesn't do, or doesn`t do right, and I was hoping to
find a newer version than the 1989 version I have been using.

One problem I had with mpage before was getting it to pagenate postscript
files properly.  A wish item for mpage I have is to be able to specify
'booklet' format , so that I could fold and staple the output and
end up with a 'paperback' style booklet.
--

<*> O- <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> only planning.

Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 mpage/nenscript/a2ps manipulations

Quote:

> Is anyone maintaining mpage?

Yes.  See http://www.mesa.nl/index_e.html

For other interesting PS links, visit:

     http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/5682/postscript.html

Jim Land        Minneapolis       to reply, remove the 6

Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. mpage vs. a2ps

2. nenscript for pcl ?

3. Nenscript for windows

4. nenscript

5. left margin offset in NENSCRIPT

6. Wanting "nenscript" author

7. nenscript and control-h

8. nenscript

9. nenscript 1.13 patches for OS/2 and MSDOS

10. Patch to nenscript-1.12 to override the filename in default headers

11. More on nenscript

12. I have posted Mpage which reduces text and Postscript