Has anyone customized the Bookman "i"?
Author Message
 Has anyone customized the Bookman "i"?

[]
        Has anyone written a little program to replace the normal postscript
Bookman lowercase "i" with one made from the dotless "i" plus a period
to produce an "i" with a higher dot?  (To be more clearly an "i" in small
sizes after being badly Xeroxed, etc.  I like dots with clearance.)

        I don't suppose anybody has, but if you have, I'd appreciate a way
of "tweaking" the "i"  :-)

--
james "kibo" parry, 8 Park Plaza Suite #152, PO Box 722, Boston MA 02117-0722

Fri, 26 Jun 1992 11:31:05 GMT
 Has anyone customized the Bookman "i"?

Quote:
> []
>    Has anyone written a little program to replace the normal PostScript
> Bookman lowercase "i" with one made from the dotless "i" plus a period
> to produce an "i" with a higher dot?  (To be more clearly an "i" in small
> sizes after being badly Xeroxed, etc.  I like dots with clearance.)

>    I don't suppose anybody has, but if you have, I'd appreciate a way
> of "tweaking" the "i"  :-)

Probably not, but perhaps the following suggestion will help.  Try printing
the I at say 500 points, then measure from the base up and from the right
sidebearing (i.e. when you do a flattenpath and a bounding box computation)
llx is the sidebearing),  Determine where you need to draw a white box to
erase the dot.  Then determine where you need a white box to erase the body
of the I.  Scale the numbers back to 1 point, and then you should be able to
either build a font based on Bookman and redifine the I to print, then print
the dot removal box, then print the dot where you want to.  The exact sequence
would be to image the I a bit higher on the page than normal, then white the
body out.  then print the i and white the old dot out.  You could either
build a font based on Bookman, or if you are laying each character down
individually, just check for I and handle it separatly.  I have used this
to modify Avent-Garde, so that it has serifs on it.  There is a commercial
font the name of which escapes me at the moment, that is just Avante-Garde
with serifs.  Hope this helps some.  The "real world postscript" book has
a nice example of accessing a font character from within another user defined
font, so perhaps it won't be to hard if you look there.

Cheers
Woody

Quote:

> --
> james "kibo" parry, 8 Park Plaza Suite #152, PO Box 722, Boston MA 02117-0722

Fri, 26 Jun 1992 21:18:17 GMT

1. dbgrid - checkbox,memo,etc

2. mdb-database with delphi 4

3. MD5 and DES

4. Error 104 in TP 6.0

5. Disabling "BACK"/"FORWARD" buttons

7. Problem With "window.showmodaldialog("")"

8. Disabling "BACK"/"FORWARD" buttons

9. How to Replace("String Irregular # of space", "?", "")

10. TV: edit a TStrCollection in a TListBox (with Source)

11. JavaScript "\"" and WShell Run