No output on HP 4050 TN from UNIX
Author Message
 No output on HP 4050 TN from UNIX

A postscript 2 file is created from an application on Solaris 8. Thisn is
sent to the printer using lp.

Although other files print OK, a few particular ones result in simply the
UNIX banner page being printed .... and then nothing. There are no messages
on the printer screen. It is as though something within the file causes the
printer to cease printing.

If I FTP the file to Windows and use Ghostview (gs6) it looks OK.

I have tried chopping bits out of the file, but at 256K, and with no real
knowlegde of PostScript, I'm not getting far.

Any ideas please ?

Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:22:17 GMT
 No output on HP 4050 TN from UNIX

Quote:

>A postscript 2 file is created from an application on Solaris 8. Thisn is
>sent to the printer using lp.

>Although other files print OK, a few particular ones result in simply the
>UNIX banner page being printed .... and then nothing. There are no messages
>on the printer screen. It is as though something within the file causes the
>printer to cease printing.

Perhaps a Ctrl+D character (ASCII 004).

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Mon, 23 Aug 2004 02:50:06 GMT
 No output on HP 4050 TN from UNIX

Quote:

>A postscript 2 file is created from an application on Solaris 8. Thisn is
>sent to the printer using lp.

>Although other files print OK, a few particular ones result in simply the
>UNIX banner page being printed .... and then nothing. There are no messages
>on the printer screen. It is as though something within the file causes the
>printer to cease printing.

You set up the printer queue on Solaris 8 using HP's Jetdirect
software?

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Mon, 23 Aug 2004 03:58:34 GMT
 No output on HP 4050 TN from UNIX

Quote:

>>A postscript 2 file is created from an application on Solaris 8. Thisn is
>>sent to the printer using lp.

>>Although other files print OK, a few particular ones result in simply the
>>UNIX banner page being printed .... and then nothing. There are no messages
>>on the printer screen. It is as though something within the file causes the
>>printer to cease printing.

I have not read this thread before.
But do you have the problem printing files generated by TeX resp. dvips?
Using the switch -j0 for dvips solves the problem.

Example:

latex foo
dvips -j0 foo
lpr foo.ps

I don't know why but for{*filter*}files this works (for our HP 4100 DTN).

Yours
Harald

--
Harald Harders                              Langer Kamp 8
Institut fr Werkstoffe                     D-38106 Braunschweig

WWW   : http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;Fax: +49 (0)5 31 - 3 91 - 30 58

Mon, 23 Aug 2004 06:44:54 GMT
 No output on HP 4050 TN from UNIX
The output file is generated from Oracle Reports 6i.

Most of the reports are fine, apart from half a dozen or so that only print
the banner page (from lp). These files that are generated are quite sizeable
(250K) and do include images, but so do the ones that do work.

I saw reference to the Control-D problem on the Postscript FAQ, but could
not find this in the files.

The printer is a Windows network printer, and has been set up on Solaris
using net_ljx00. As I say, it works fine with most prints.

I have tried to find out what commands in PostScript would cause a print to
terminate in this way.

Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:45:19 GMT
 No output on HP 4050 TN from UNIX

Quote:

>The output file is generated from Oracle Reports 6i.

>Most of the reports are fine, apart from half a dozen or so that only print
>the banner page (from lp). These files that are generated are quite sizeable
>(250K) and do include images, but so do the ones that do work.

>I saw reference to the Control-D problem on the Postscript FAQ, but could
>not find this in the files.

The following characters will cause problems in some cases

Ctrl+D
Ctrl+C
Ctrl+S
Ctrl+Q
Ctrl+T

In fact, check the file contains only printable ASCII.

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:43:21 GMT
 No output on HP 4050 TN from UNIX

Quote:

>The output file is generated from Oracle Reports 6i.

>Most of the reports are fine, apart from half a dozen or so that only print
>the banner page (from lp). These files that are generated are quite sizeable
>(250K) and do include images, but so do the ones that do work.

>I saw reference to the Control-D problem on the Postscript FAQ, but could
>not find this in the files.

>The printer is a Windows network printer, and has been set up on Solaris
>using net_ljx00. As I say, it works fine with most prints.

>I have tried to find out what commands in PostScript would cause a print to
>terminate in this way.

Are you sue Oracle is sending Postscript to the printer rather than PCL?
What printer is selected in Oracle?

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:33:12 GMT
 No output on HP 4050 TN from UNIX

Quote:

>Are you sue Oracle is sending Postscript to the printer rather than PCL?
>What printer is selected in Oracle?

>  -Greg

Absolutely positive. The printer selected is correct as the file that is
generated looks to be right in a broad sense when compared to other
files that print OK, but obviously somewhere amongst the differences is
a key piece of data that terminates the print job.

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:18:37 GMT
 No output on HP 4050 TN from UNIX
I'd like to suggest viewing this files with ghostscript (or just
converting it to another format). Ghostscript will report the illegal
lines with 90% probability.

Robert

Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:17:27 GMT

1. Printing PS on Xerox 4050 laser printer

2. Print PostScript on a Xerox 4050?

3. electronic publisher for UNIX 386's which makes Postscript output

4. ? Looking for a UNIX screen capture utility that outputs PS.

5. HP JetDirect for Unix

6. Translate PS to HP-GL/2 on Unix

7. HP 970C, Ghostscript and Unix Box

8. again - printing in Unix (HP-UX)

9. printing in Unix (HP-UX)

10. HP IV Si printer driver for unix lpd or transcript

11. Connecting HP Laserjet 4M to Unix

12. HP LaserJet II, Unix and PostScript