Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux
Author Message
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux

Does anyone know of an RPM of a recent version of Ghostscript that
does not depend on X windows?

I am setting up a linux RH 7.1 box as a print server, and do not have
(or want) X installed. However, all the Ghostscript RPM's I have found
depend on X.

Alternatively, if I compile (or build an RPM) from source, what
switches would I use to remove the X dependencies?

Thanks in advance. Apologies if this is the wrong newsgroup, couldn't
find anything closer...

Bruce

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:57:24 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux

Quote:
> Does anyone know of an RPM of a recent version of Ghostscript that
> does not depend on X windows?

> I am setting up a linux RH 7.1 box as a print server, and do not have
> (or want) X installed. However, all the Ghostscript RPM's I have found
> depend on X.

> Alternatively, if I compile (or build an RPM) from source, what
> switches would I use to remove the X dependencies?

I suspect all RPMs contain X dependencies.
To compile without X, remove the X include, X library makefile defines,
and the x11 devices from DEVICE_DEVS=
These are all in unix-gcc.mak.

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:29:44 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux
Thanks; editing the unix-gcc.mak file was what I was looking for.
Unfortunately, given my complete lack of experience in compiling anything
that doesn't use automake, I have spent the last few hours tearing my few
remaining hairs out failing miserably in getting ghostscript to compile.
I'll just have to wait until I have the time to figure this out. It seems
completely brutal at the moment, trying to track down compile error after
compile error, figuring out what is missing and why it isn't working.

Bruce

<snip>

Quote:

> I suspect all RPMs contain X dependencies.
> To compile without X, remove the X include, X library makefile defines,
> and the x11 devices from DEVICE_DEVS=
> These are all in unix-gcc.mak.

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:03:16 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux
Compiling Ghostscript, after commenting out the relevan X11 lines, and
adding  the line "#include "sys/time.h" " to the file src/time_.h
(apparently necessary due to a bug in GNU GS 6.51)  I get the following
errors. I am trying to compile GNU Ghostscript 6.51 on a Debian Woody
system called "mona":

mona:/usr/src/ghostscript-6.51# make

gcc `cat ./obj/cc.tr`  -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -fno-builtin -fno-common  -I./obj
-I./src  -o ./obj/gp_unix.o -c ./src/gp_unix.c
In file included from ./src/gp_unix.c:22:
src/pipe_.h:41: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
In file included from src/time_.h:27,
                from ./src/gp_unix.c:24:
/usr/include/sys/time.h:33: syntax error before `typedef'
make: *** [obj/gp_unix.o] Error 1
mona:/usr/src/ghostscript-6.51#

I have no idea why this isn't working. Any ideas??

Thanks, Bruce

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:36:48 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux
Yes, I did install the jpeg6b, libpng and zlib sources as set out in the
Ghostscript "How to Compile" docs.

I think the problem is I am not sure what changes to make to src/time_.h;
the suggested fixes for the bug were a bit vague and probably assumed
something that I am not aware of. This is apparently a problem with
Ghostscript and the fact that my system uses libc6 2.2.4.

I have seen various suggestions to add lines such as,

        #  include <sys/time.h>
or
        #  include <time.h>

Did both, neither seemed to make a difference.

The only other changes I made to the GS source files were commenting  out
the following lines from the default 6.51 unix-gcc.mak file,

XINCLUDE=-I/X11R6/include

XLIBDIRS=-L/usr/X11R6/lib
XLIBDIR=
XLIBS=Xt Xext X11

DEVICE_DEVS=$(DISPLAY_DEV) $(DD)x11.dev $(DD)x11alpha.dev $(DD)x11cmyk.dev
$(DD)x11gray2.dev $(DD)x11gray4.dev $(DD)x11mono.dev

Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions?

Bruce

<snip>

Quote:

> Well, I started to say that I had to go get the time_.h from the gs5.50
> distro to make that work, but I see its fussing about your _system's_
> time_.h instead, and thats a different colored horse entirely.  Or did
> you change the makefiles default includes path?

> Cheers, Gene

Thu, 25 Mar 2004 02:47:19 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux
I mucked about with this a bit more, and eventually figured out what needed
to be fixed. I found hints to the answer to the solution in
alt.os.linux.slackware (though, because the message I found had many typos
with respect to the lines that needed to be changed, it took a while to
figure out what to do)

The problem lay with the following three files in the Ghostscript src/
folder,

zdevcal.c
gdevtifs.c
gdevpsu.c

Each of these files has the following line,

  #include "time_.h"

which needs to be changed to

  #include "time.h"

Also (according to the alt.os.linux.slackware article), that line had to be
moved to be the first in the list of #include statements in each file.

In any case, doing the above allowed me to compile Ghostscript 6.51 on my
system. Thanks for your help.

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:09:06 GMT

See my notes on www.ghostscript.com:
http://www.ghostscript.com/person/rdieter/

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
Mathematics and Statistics

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 01:11:10 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux

Quote:

> In any case, doing the above allowed me to compile Ghostscript 6.51 on my
> system. Thanks for your help.

My not use redhat's ghostscript from rawhide:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS
ghostscript-6.51-15.i386.rpm

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
Mathematics and Statistics
University of Nebraska Lincoln

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 01:15:08 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux

Quote:

>> In any case, doing the above allowed me to compile Ghostscript 6.51 on my
>> system. Thanks for your help.

> My not use redhat's ghostscript from rawhide:
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS
> ghostscript-6.51-15.i386.rpm

Does that RPM not depend on X11? The reason I was wanting to compile from
source is because I wanted a version of gs without X11 dependencies for a
print server installation. I note you also responded to an earlier message
in this thread on that subject (see beow).

I did download the "rawhide" RPM, but got the following error message,

error: ghostscript-6.51-15.i386.rpm cannot be installed

I don't really care what version of Ghostscript; I generally prefer GNU,
which is why I chose 6.51. However, if I can find an non-X dependent RPM of
any version, I will take it.

I tried to install the ghostscript RPM from your website,

http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/Software/Linux/apps/ghostscript/

but I still get the X11 dependencies;

error: failed dependencies:
        libICE.so.6   is needed by ghostscript-7.00-3.1
        libSM.so.6   is needed by ghostscript-7.00-3.1
        libX11.so.6   is needed by ghostscript-7.00-3.1
        libXext.so.6   is needed by ghostscript-7.00-3.1
        libXt.so.6   is needed by ghostscript-7.00-3.1

Perhaps I misunderstood the notes on your website; is this just the stock
RPM, and I should download the SRPM and patches and build a new one which
doesn't depend on X11?

Bruce

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 06:53:12 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux

Quote:

> > Does anyone know of an RPM of a recent version of Ghostscript that
> > does not depend on X windows?

> See my notes on www.ghostscript.com:
> http://www.ghostscript.com/person/rdieter/

Further to your notes, GSview 7.02 beta includes an executable
"gsc" with no gtk+ that loads the Ghostscript shared library.
The Ghostscript shared library will still have X11 dependencies.
In the next Ghostscript release, the "gsx" loader for the shared library
will run without a X11 display, after I figured out how to start
up gtk+ correctly (FAQs are useful).

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:11:00 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux

Quote:

> I did download the "rawhide" RPM, but got the following error message,

> error: ghostscript-6.51-15.i386.rpm cannot be installed

This usually means the rpm is corrupted.  Try downloading again.

Quote:
> I don't really care what version of Ghostscript; I generally prefer GNU,
> which is why I chose 6.51. However, if I can find an non-X dependent RPM
> of any version, I will take it.

I think we're talking apples and oranges here... sorry.  What I built was a
version of ghostscript that does not require an X-server connection to run.
 What you want is a version of ghostscript with no dependence or use of X
at all... My gs 7.00 rpm still uses X libraries, and requires the
XFree86-libs rpm to be installed.

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
Mathematics and Statistics
University of Nebraska Lincoln

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:17:48 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux

Quote:

> Further to your notes, GSview 7.02 beta includes an executable
> "gsc" with no gtk+ that loads the Ghostscript shared library.

Great!  I'm gonna have to take a closer look at ghostscript 7.02.  Thanks.

Quote:
> In the next Ghostscript release, the "gsx" loader for the shared library
> will run without a X11 display, after I figured out how to start
> up gtk+ correctly (FAQs are useful).

Does that mean, then, that there will no longer be a need for 2 exe's gsc,
gsx since gsx will be able to run without an X11 display?

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
Mathematics and Statistics
University of Nebraska Lincoln

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 05:59:11 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux
Yes, I was looking for a version to run on a box with no X libraries
installed at all.

I managed to find no-X11 Ghostscript RPM's through www.tuxfinder.com;
gs_serv-6.51-0.i386.rpm (think it was from Suse).

Thanks. Now all I have to do is figure out why foomatic-gswrapper isn't
being found by cupsomatic, and I may have a print server...

<snip>

Quote:
>> I don't really care what version of Ghostscript; I generally prefer GNU,
>> which is why I chose 6.51. However, if I can find an non-X dependent RPM
>> of any version, I will take it.

> I think we're talking apples and oranges here... sorry.  What I built was
> a version of ghostscript that does not require an X-server connection to
> run.
>  What you want is a version of ghostscript with no dependence or use of X
> at all... My gs 7.00 rpm still uses X libraries, and requires the
> XFree86-libs rpm to be installed.

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:52:09 GMT
 Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux

Quote:

> > In the next Ghostscript release, the "gsx" loader for the shared library
> > will run without a X11 display, after I figured out how to start
> > up gtk+ correctly (FAQs are useful).

> Does that mean, then, that there will no longer be a need for 2 exe's gsc,
> gsx since gsx will be able to run without an X11 display?

Both versions will remain.  gsc does not use gtk+ and is much simpler.
gsx uses gtk+ to provide support of the display device.

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:34:54 GMT

1. Ghostscript Windows and Linux

2. Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs

3. WordPerfect 7 for Linux crashing Ghostscript

4. AutoCAD 2002 PS and Linux Ghostscript

5. Configuring ghostscript margins on Linux.

6. ghostscript on dual processors in linux smp kernel

7. Ghostscript and ms font encodings (Linux/X)

8. Solved: Missing fonts, ghostscript and Linux

9. Linux GhostScript Troubles

10. Ghostscript ouput in Linux

11. Mac Ghostscript vs linux ghostview

12. mac-to-linux papd ghostscript Charcoal font problem