Capture the PostScript output on a macintosh
Author Message
 Capture the PostScript output on a macintosh

I remember sometimes ago, someone mentioned a Macintosh trick to redirect
the printing to a file.  I did not save that article.  Now, I like to
capture a postscript output from a Macintosh application.  Can someone
tell me how to do it?

Thank you in advance.

--
.signature under construction ...

{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,seismo!ihnp4,ucbvax!hpda}!nsc!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai
Daisy Systems Corp, 700B Middlefield Road, Mtn View CA 94039.  (415)960-6961

Wed, 19 May 1993 06:33:00 GMT
 Capture the PostScript output on a macintosh

+----------

| I remember sometimes ago, someone mentioned a Macintosh trick to redirect
| the printing to a file.  I did not save that article.  Now, I like to
| capture a PostScript output from a Macintosh application.  Can someone
| tell me how to do it?
|
| Thank you in advance.
|
| {cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,seismo!ihnp4,ucbvax!hpda}!nsc!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai
+----------

  This particular trick is an Apple developer secret.  The gentleman who told
me about this said it was used for debugging the printer driver, and was NOT
supported... in other words, it could go away in the next release (or maybe
it already has; I haven't used it for months).
  The trick is, just after you've clicked on "OK" to print (from the system
Printer window), type Option-D.  (The Option key is that funny looking key with
the ()_()
     |_|
    () () on it.)  It'll be sent to a file in the current folder, the name of
which eludes me (I think it resembles POSTSCRIPT.001 or something).

  Personally, I think that it SHOULD be supported, and should be documented.
Of course, I don't have much influence in this area, nor do I use a Mac...

--
 /|\ /|\   .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
| |\| |\|  .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .

  | |/| |/|L_ (_\( ( (_/  | |(_\_) (_ || )(_)_)UUCP: *!ucbvax!ucscb!funkstr
   \|/ \|/ larry      /   hastings        _/   WORK: sun!acad!metaware!funkster
MetaWare Incorporated   Disclaimer: It was a bad day.
"If any of your OSF force are caught or killed, the Secretary will deny any
 knowlege of your activities."  --from the new Mission: Impractical

Wed, 19 May 1993 03:04:00 GMT
 Capture the PostScript output on a macintosh

        Just after you click on the OK button under the print menu,
        press the Command (flower/Apple) key and the F key, i.e. a
        Command-F. This will capture the PostScript in a file on the
        the desktop called PostScript0; the next file will be
        PostScript1, etc. A Command-H combined key will produce a
        file that contains the LaserPrep PostScript and the application
        specific PostScript.

        NOTE: You need to be quick in typing the Command-F after clicking
              the OK button. You might try holding down the Command and
              F keys before releasing the mouse button.

                Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!
                        --Len Schwer

Wed, 19 May 1993 15:15:00 GMT
 Capture the PostScript output on a macintosh

Quote:
>   The trick is, just after you've clicked on "OK" to print (from the system
> Printer window), type Option-D.  (The Option key is that funny looking key with

(1) The funny looking key is usually called "Command".  There is another
key labelled "Option".

(2) I've always heard it as "Command-F" to dump the PostScript to a file
WITHOUT the LaserPrep prologue, and "Command-K" to dump WITH the prologue.
And that's the way it's worked on my "classic" Mac and SE, and the Pluses
and IIs at work from System 3.2 through System 6.0.2

Mike Khaw
--

uucp:     {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|ames|hplabs}!mkhaw%teknowledge.arpa
hardcopy: Teknowledge Inc, 1850 Embarcadero Rd, POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303

Wed, 19 May 1993 19:58:00 GMT
 Capture the PostScript output on a macintosh

Quote:

>   This particular trick is an Apple developer secret.  The gentleman who told
> me about this said it was used for debugging the printer driver, and was NOT
> supported... in other words, it could go away in the next release (or maybe
> it already has; I haven't used it for months).
>   The trick is, just after you've clicked on "OK" to print (from the system
> Printer window), type Option-D.

Wrong. The required incantation is [cloverleaf] [F] or [cloverleaf] [K] not
[option] [D] after (and that is *immediately* after) clicking on the [OK]
button in the PRINT dialog box. The file produced is POSTSCRIPT 01 then 02
03 04 ....etc. for subsequent dumps.

[cloverleaf] [F] = just the "munged" bastardized QuikDraw that looks like PS
                   smells like PS, and feels likes PS but ain't really PS

[cloverleaf] [K] = the above with LaserPrep appended to the front .... BURP!

Have fun.

Disclaimer: My name is Ken Jenkins and I am here as a guest of Bruce Edwards
            to whom this account belongs. Although he may be interested or even
            amused by my ramblings, he should not be held accountable for them
            in any way.
   "Politics is ,in the ultimate analysis, religion applied to economics"

                                              UUCP: ..!osu-cis!bgsuvax!edwards

Wed, 19 May 1993 20:38:00 GMT

1. Macintosh Pagemaker output to PostScript file is HUGE!

2. Postscript output from the Macintosh

3. capturing Mac postscript output

4. Capture output from command line program

5. capturing a shell commands output

6. capturing the output of an MSDOS program

7. Capture Screen Output

8. Capture result/output from 'run'-command

9. capture output of shelled process

10. Capturing command-line output

11. capture output to a var.

12. Error trying to capture command box output