Looking for a simple TCP/IP Port Monitor for Windows NT or 95/98
Author Message
 Looking for a simple TCP/IP Port Monitor for Windows NT or 95/98

In Windows parlance, a "Port Monitor" is a software module which interfaces
between the Windows Print Spooler and the physical connection to the printer.
A "TCP/IP Port Monitor" uses a TCP connection (often to port 9100) to send
data to the printer. Most networked postscript printer manufacturers supply
one, but they generally involve SNMP in addition to the basic TCP connection
for the data. The Port Monitor itself isn't aware of the PDL being used, but
commonly the AdobePS Printer Driver is used with a vendor-supplied .ppd file
to generate the page description.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a simple TCP/IP Port Monitor which just opens
a TCP connection to a remote printer and sends the data to it, without using
SNMP. Note that I'm not talking about the "Microsoft TCP/IP Printing" Port
Monitor on NT, which talks the lpd protocol over TCP/IP here; I'm looking for
something simpler using a single unidirectional TCP connection without SNMP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, particularly if you could E-mail
me a copy in case I miss all your valuable replies :-).

Thanks,
Graham

Tue, 20 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Looking for a simple TCP/IP Port Monitor for Windows NT or 95/98

Quote:

> I'm wondering if anyone knows of a simple TCP/IP Port Monitor which
just opens
> a TCP connection to a remote printer and sends the data to it,
without using
> SNMP. Note that I'm not talking about the "Microsoft TCP/IP Printing"
Port
> Monitor on NT, which talks the lpd protocol over TCP/IP here; I'm
looking for
> something simpler using a single unidirectional TCP connection

without SNMP.

RedMon is a port monitor which redirects a printer port to a program.
This program is often Ghostscript, but RedMon is flexible and
can drive other programs.  You could write a simple program to send
the RedMon output to the TCP printer, or you could modify RedMon
to do this.  RedMon is available from
  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/
Source code is included.

--
Russell Lang
Ghostgum Software Pty Ltd

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Thu, 22 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Looking for a simple TCP/IP Port Monitor for Windows NT or 95/98

Quote:

>I'm wondering if anyone knows of a simple TCP/IP Port Monitor which just opens
>a TCP connection to a remote printer and sends the data to it, without using
>SNMP. Note that I'm not talking about the "Microsoft TCP/IP Printing" Port
>Monitor on NT, which talks the lpd protocol over TCP/IP here; I'm looking for
>something simpler using a single unidirectional TCP connection without SNMP.

HP JetAdmin v.2.5 as shipped with the HP4000 series printers does a good
job IMO. I have used it to set up "peer-to-peer" TCP printing for the lone
Win95 PC in our Mac establishment. It prints to a HP4MV which had already
been configured to run TCP for lpr jobs from an Ingres server we sometimes
access.

On the Win machine you need to create a new port when you add this
printer. It is called a JetAdmin port, then from the JetAdmin software you
need to set its default protocol to be TCP.

Gotchas: Some versions of the Novell Netware client installer will
overwrite some of the *.dll & *.vxd with older versions. I can happily do
without Novell, but YMMV.

--
Peter Kerr                           bodger
School of Music                      chandler

Sat, 24 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Word spell checker - 95/98/NT/2K friendly?

2. Norton Anti Virus for 95/98/NT

3. Help!, runs on 95/98 but not on NT

4. Script to change WINS on 95/98/nt/2000

5. Ghostscript on Windows 95/98

6. Printing PostScript files from Windows 95/98 on non-laser printer

7. vbs with Windows 95 or 98

8. Creating a script to modify a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE variable in windows registry (98/95)

9. ADSI and Windows 98 / 95

10. ADSI and Windows 98 / 95

11. Windows 98 clients with windows NT home directory

12. ActiveX error when adding tcp/ip printer port?