Not embedding fonts in PDF created with ghostscript
Author Message
 Not embedding fonts in PDF created with ghostscript

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with embedding fonts in a PDF file. I realise this is
a common topic, but my searches have revealed nothing and I've only
got a limited amount of time to waste :-)

My problem seems to be that my postscript file remaps the fonts like
this:

/F5 ISOLatin1Encoding /ArialMT ISOEncode
/F9 ISOLatin1Encoding /CentaurMT ISOEncode

Now, I would like Ghostscript to not embed ArialMT and to use
Helvetica instead (or whatever helvetica substitute is on the reader's
machine).

The problem seems to be that the PDF created by Ghostscript refers
only to "F5" and "F9". I can stop the font from being embedded easily
enough, but then the reader doesn't know what alternative to use.

I've tried updating the fontmap, but it doesn't seem to affect the
output.

I know other products can give me what I want - can Ghostscript?

Thanks,

Tom.

Sat, 19 Nov 2005 10:52:10 GMT
 Not embedding fonts in PDF created with ghostscript

Quote:

> Hi everybody,

> I have a problem with embedding fonts in a PDF file. I realise this is
> a common topic, but my searches have revealed nothing and I've only
> got a limited amount of time to waste :-)

> My problem seems to be that my postscript file remaps the fonts like
> this:

> /F5 ISOLatin1Encoding /ArialMT ISOEncode
> /F9 ISOLatin1Encoding /CentaurMT ISOEncode

> Now, I would like Ghostscript to not embed ArialMT and to use
> Helvetica instead (or whatever helvetica substitute is on the reader's
> machine).

> The problem seems to be that the PDF created by Ghostscript refers
> only to "F5" and "F9". I can stop the font from being embedded easily
> enough, but then the reader doesn't know what alternative to use.

> I've tried updating the fontmap, but it doesn't seem to affect the
> output.

> I know other products can give me what I want - can Ghostscript?

The main reason is that the PostScript code presumably registers the
re-encoded
(to ISOLatin1Encoding) font under the name /F5 or /F9, respectively.
Thus, the
original font gets trashed at least when the next garbage collection
occurs, and
the graphics state, as maintained by ghostscript (and any other "normal"
PostScript
interpreter), does no longer contain any information on the original
font.

Acrobat distiller, which seems to be the de facto reference application,
obviously
treats fonts as objects global to the whole job and keeps them
available. Moreover,
any font modification (be it encoding or metrics or whatever) keeps an
additional
reference to its predecessor. Thus it is possible to trace any font back
to the
original.

I have tried to hack the PDF generator of gs 7.00 to follow this same
strategy, but
only with limited success. But the font management has been severly
revised in
gs 8.00/8.10; perhaps it is worth while to try that first.

Another approach would be to modify the ISOEncode procedure in your PS
jobs to use
the original font name to register the modified font and only use the
/Fx names
as kind of an "alias". But to do so requires some skills in PostScript
programming.

Helge

--

Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:59:36 GMT
 Not embedding fonts in PDF created with ghostscript

Quote:

> > My problem seems to be that my postscript file remaps the fonts like
> > this:

> > /F5 ISOLatin1Encoding /ArialMT ISOEncode
> > /F9 ISOLatin1Encoding /CentaurMT ISOEncode

> The main reason is that the PostScript code presumably registers the
> re-encoded
> (to ISOLatin1Encoding) font under the name /F5 or /F9, respectively.
> Thus, the
> original font gets trashed at least when the next garbage collection
> occurs, and
> the graphics state, as maintained by ghostscript (and any other "normal"
> PostScript
> interpreter), does no longer contain any information on the original
> font.

> I have tried to hack the PDF generator of gs 7.00 to follow this same
> strategy, but
> only with limited success. But the font management has been severly
> revised in
> gs 8.00/8.10; perhaps it is worth while to try that first.

> Another approach would be to modify the ISOEncode procedure in your PS
> jobs to use
> the original font name to register the modified font and only use the
> /Fx names
> as kind of an "alias". But to do so requires some skills in PostScript
> programming.

Thanks Helge - you certainly are one of the most helpful people on
this group.

I was using gs 8.00 and I have tried 8.10 with a similar lack of
success.

Unfortunately, the postscript is generated by a 3rd party application,
so writing an application to change it will not be easy (or reliable).

I guess we'll have to look at a few other options.

Tom.

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 07:44:44 GMT
 Not embedding fonts in PDF created with ghostscript
Quote:

> > > My problem seems to be that my postscript file remaps the fonts like
> > > this:

> > > /F5 ISOLatin1Encoding /ArialMT ISOEncode
> > > /F9 ISOLatin1Encoding /CentaurMT ISOEncode

> > The main reason is that the PostScript code presumably registers the
> > re-encoded
> > (to ISOLatin1Encoding) font under the name /F5 or /F9, respectively.
> > Thus, the
> > original font gets trashed at least when the next garbage collection
> > occurs, and
> > the graphics state, as maintained by ghostscript (and any other "normal"
> > PostScript
> > interpreter), does no longer contain any information on the original
> > font.

> > I have tried to hack the PDF generator of gs 7.00 to follow this same
> > strategy, but
> > only with limited success. But the font management has been severly
> > revised in
> > gs 8.00/8.10; perhaps it is worth while to try that first.

> > Another approach would be to modify the ISOEncode procedure in your PS
> > jobs to use
> > the original font name to register the modified font and only use the
> > /Fx names
> > as kind of an "alias". But to do so requires some skills in PostScript
> > programming.

> Thanks Helge - you certainly are one of the most helpful people on
> this group.

> I was using gs 8.00 and I have tried 8.10 with a similar lack of
> success.

> Unfortunately, the postscript is generated by a 3rd party application,
> so writing an application to change it will not be easy (or reliable).

> I guess we'll have to look at a few other options.

> Tom.

Perhaps you could post an URL to a sample file -- it may well be that
the issue can be
improved.

Helge

--

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 18:14:54 GMT
 Not embedding fonts in PDF created with ghostscript

Quote:

> > Tom.
> Perhaps you could post an URL to a sample file -- it may well be that
> the issue can be
> improved.

> Helge

I may try and do that, but with our security set-up it won't be easy :-(

Tom.

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:25:17 GMT

1. MASTER/DETAIL relationship

2. Directory behind alias

3. Windows CODEC drivers link

4. Lack of Embedded Type42 fonts in PDF output from GhostScript

5. Embedding fonts in pdf with Ghostscript...

6. Ghostscript ps2pdf embedded fonts not recognized by Acrobat Reader

7. Real: Ptr Casting syntax??

8. Pascal-compiler sources

9. boolean variable in function

10. IB TABLE

11. Embedding Type 1 Fonts in PDF - How?

12. How To Embed A Font into PDF