Exporting Freehand to Postscript without mucho baggage?
Author Message
 Exporting Freehand to Postscript without mucho baggage?

I write mathematics papers in TeX that typically have a number of
postscript figures.  I often make these figures in Aldus Freehand and
then export the Freehand figures to EPS format, which is then suitable
for the TeX package EPSF, dvips, and other important standard
software.  Unfortunately, Freehand weighs down each exported figure
with 20K of Postscript baggage (mostly the header but probably other
junk too), and I'm sure that at least 19K of it is superfluous.  20K
might not seem like much, but TeX translated to Postscript is not the
epitome of brevity, and if you throw in 20 Postscript figures that are
20-30K each, you can easily get a 1 megabyte Postscript document as the
final format of a 30-page math paper.  This is a nuisance (*).

Is there a utility that strips Freehand EPS files down to their
essentials?  Or would I be better off drawing my pictures in
Illustrator?  Or is there some other solution?  Please send a copy of
your reply by mail.  Thanks in advance.

(*) Some people, and some preprint servers, like to have lots of papers
on disk, and not everyone has room for 1-megabyte math papers, even
compressed.

Thu, 14 Aug 1997 12:59:05 GMT
[...]

Depending on the kinds of diagrams you make, you might want to
investigate the PSTricks package for TeX and LaTeX.  This gives you a
lot of graphics capability directly in your TeX manuscript.

--
Peter Davis                     "Education is not the                 617/873-4145
BBN Educational Technologies     filling of a pail, but       FAX: 617/873-2455

Cambridge, MA 02140                     -- W. B. Yeats

Fri, 15 Aug 1997 23:55:19 GMT
 Exporting Freehand to Postscript without mucho baggage?

Quote:

>Depending on the kinds of diagrams you make, you might want to
>investigate the PSTricks package for TeX and LaTeX.  This gives you a
>lot of graphics capability directly in your TeX manuscript.

This is a good suggestion and it appears that it will work for
some but not all of the figures that I need to make.

Sun, 17 Aug 1997 05:38:34 GMT

1. freehand to postscript?

2. problems importing postscript into freehand

3. Freehand: Using userprep file to add customized PostScript tricks

4. Postscript lines for Freehand on MAC

5. Generating editable PostScript for FreeHand

6. Postscript to Printer vs Export Postscript

7. Adobe Acrobat 4.0 and Exporting EDITED PDF files to Postscript

8. Need Help with Exporting PostScript Images in AutoCAD

9. DOS/WIN drawing package that exports postscripts?

10. Send e-mail without Outlook or without pop up messages

11. freehand to ps to pdf

12. possibly bad sreening PS in Freehand 7.0.1