Graphic to PostScript converter
Author Message
 Graphic to PostScript converter

I'm looking for an application that convert graphics to postscript, running
under Windows NT.  I have some graphic applications that made this when
saving (save as... EPS), but I would like to have a command-line utility
(ex: CONVERT Image1.GIF Image1.PS).  Thanks!

Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Graphic to PostScript converter
: I'm looking for an application that convert graphics to postscript, running
: under Windows NT.  I have some graphic applications that made this when
: saving (save as... EPS), but I would like to have a command-line utility
: (ex: CONVERT Image1.GIF Image1.PS).  Thanks!

While I'm not sure if freeware utilities might handle this (e.g.
Ghostscript, which can convert _to_ certain graphics formats either
directly or with help from other utilities), Image Alchemy (available
in a 32-bit Windows version) can do what you request for a very large
number of bitmapped formats. There are also versions for MS-DOS,
Macintosh, and UNIX, for example.

Although I'm only familiar with the 32-bit version for MS-DOS, of which
I'm a beta tester, my experience has been that it's generally easy; you
can run using the command line, or for that matter a batch file.

The main caution here would be that while Image Alchemy converts many
bitmap formats, and Image Alchemy PS additionally includes a full
PostScript language interpreter to handle arbitrary PostScript files, it
cannot process non-PostScript _vector_ formats (e.g. vector PCL or PICT).

Also, bear in mind that the PostScript output will be in sampled image
format as an EPS file. This is a different kind of conversion than the
"autotrace" function offered by some drawing packages where a bitmapped
image can be converted into a vector-based drawing.

As I recall, even the regular Image Alchemy (non-"PS" version) can
convert _to_ EPS, and in fact I discovered the product by using a demo
version to convert some Targa True Color output from a ray-tracing utility
called POV-Ray into EPS for viewing on a monochrome monitor or printing.

If you might be interested in this option, the developers of Image
Alchemy, Handmade Software, Inc. (HSI) have a site at

http://www.handmadesw.com

Most respectfully,

Margo Schulter

Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Graphic to PostScript converter

TB> I'm looking for an application that convert graphics to postscript, running
TB> under Windows NT.  I have some graphic applications that made this when
TB> saving (save as... EPS), but I would like to have a command-line utility
TB> (ex: CONVERT Image1.GIF Image1.PS).  Thanks!

Install ImageMagick (free software!) and it has a convert command that you
can use exactly as your example.

http://www.wizards.dupont.com/cristy/ImageMagick.html
--

Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Looking for a VT100 graphics to Postscript converter

2. help! need ps converter to Mac-based graphics

3. MS Word graphics document to EPS format converter?

4. Converter to converter converters?

5. Postscript to `raw' Postscript converter

6. MS Postscript to correct postscript converter?

7. Good image to PostScript converter (UNIX source or raw PostScript)

8. Is there any PostScript to Encapsulated PostScript converter ?

9. Convert graphics in winword to TeX useable ps graphics

10. IBM PC graphics characters to postscript converter... got one?

11. Graphics Editor Using PostScript?

12. T3 postscript output for graphics