HP LaserJet II, Unix and PostScript
Author Message
 HP LaserJet II, Unix and PostScript

I just got my hands on a second hand HP LaserJet II laserprinter.
And now there's the problem that I want to print to that printer from
my personal Unix box. Essentially a solution would be to translate
postscript to whatever the LaserJet understands. I tried ghostscript with
the deskjet drivers but with no luck. Anyone has another idea? (Apart from
throwing the LaserJet out of the window and buy a decent postscript
printer :-) )

I'm not familiar with HP printers. What exactly does the LaserJet understand?

Thanks,

Erwin

Erwin J.M. Giling                    |

Delft - The Netherlands              |

Sat, 01 Jun 1996 17:59:50 GMT
 HP LaserJet II, Unix and PostScript

: I just got my hands on a second hand HP LaserJet II laserprinter.
: And now there's the problem that I want to print to that printer from
: my personal Unix box. Essentially a solution would be to translate
: postscript to whatever the LaserJet understands. I tried ghostscript with
: the deskjet drivers but with no luck. Anyone has another idea? (Apart from
: throwing the LaserJet out of the window and buy a decent postscript
: printer :-) )

: I'm not familiar with HP printers. What exactly does the LaserJet understand?

  HP printers use simple ASCII and a set of escape sequences call PCL which
  performs the controls needed for anything besides straight ASCII.  PCL is
  currently the most common printer language in use on laser printers today.

  If you have ASCII files, simply cat them to the device file or through
  your spooler with no translation to Postscript.  If the files are already
  in Postscript, then ghostscript is ideal in converting them to PCL.

Bill

: Thanks,

: Erwin

: ================================================================================
: Erwin J.M. Giling                    |

: Delft - The Netherlands              |
: ================================================================================

Mon, 03 Jun 1996 00:12:48 GMT
 HP LaserJet II, Unix and PostScript

Quote:
>I just got my hands on a second hand HP LaserJet II laserprinter.
>And now there's the problem that I want to print to that printer from
>my personal Unix box. Essentially a solution would be to translate
>postscript to whatever the LaserJet understands. I tried ghostscript with
>the deskjet drivers but with no luck. Anyone has another idea? (Apart from
>throwing the LaserJet out of the window and buy a decent postscript
>printer :-) )

>I'm not familiar with HP printers. What exactly does the LaserJet understand?

>Thanks,

>Erwin

You could (if your on sun) run newsprint (sun's version of ghostscript). I've done
this. Expensive and slow but it works.

Or, by a postscript cartdridge? try Pacific Data.

---

Glenn Newell                    I am not an official spokesperson for National
National Semiconductor          Semiconductor. All the above are my own opinions

voice (408)721-4291               /----   /      /----  /\    /  /\    /
fax (408)721-4785                /  __   /      /---   /  \  /  /  \  /
                                /____/  /____  /____  /    \/  /    \/

Tue, 04 Jun 1996 09:27:43 GMT
 HP LaserJet II, Unix and PostScript

Quote:

>>I just got my hands on a second hand HP LaserJet II laserprinter.
>>And now there's the problem that I want to print to that printer from
>>my personal Unix box. Essentially a solution would be to translate
>>postscript to whatever the LaserJet understands. I tried ghostscript with
>>the deskjet drivers but with no luck. Anyone has another idea? (Apart from
>>throwing the LaserJet out of the window and buy a decent postscript
>>printer :-) )
>>I'm not familiar with HP printers. What exactly does the LaserJet understand?

"Printer Control Language", aka PCL.  The language level that the printer
understands is "PCL4".  Ghostscript has a PCL4 driver.

The deskjet drivers perhaps should have worked.

If your printer is serially connected, make absolutely certain that your
connection to it is 8-bit with no output translations (eg: tabs to spaces,
NL to CRNL etc.).  The output *must* be transparent 8 bit clean.
--
Look on the bright side - at least the PC's reached gender parity!

Latest psroff: FTP://ftp.uunet.ca/distrib/chris_lewis/psroff3.0pl17/*

Wed, 05 Jun 1996 11:38:25 GMT

1. PostScript on an HP Laserjet II

2. Postscript font for HP-laserjet II line drawing needed

3. postscript for HP-Laserjet II ?

4. UNIX driver for HP LaserJet III with Postscript Cartridge Plus

5. gs with hp laserjet series II

6. Pringting PS on a HP Laserjet Series II

7. How Do I: Print Postcript on an HP Laserjet Series II

8. Ghostscript and HP laserjet II

9. Q: Ghostscript and HP-LaserJet-II

10. HP LaserJet II, PS, and MacPrint

11. Connecting HP Laserjet 4M to Unix

12. Printing Postscript on HP LJ II (not a Postscript printer)