Acrobat 2.0 now on ftp.adobe.com, and I've got some questions
Author Message
 Acrobat 2.0 now on ftp.adobe.com, and I've got some questions

Quote:

> In addition, I'm wondering about the indexing/searching, security, and
> the ability to extend Acrobat via things like third-party plug-ins and
> AppleEvents.  How does all this work?  Is there any support available
> for dropping PDF files into systems like WAIS, AppleSearch, or Lotus
> Notes and make use of their indexing, search, and retrieval services
> (perhaps through developers' support services from Adobe in the form of
> source/binary code libraries)?  For example, both AppleSearch and Notes
> have supported the full-text indexing of CommonGround files for about
> a year now ... has Acrobat finally caught up?

I'm fairly certain that Acrobat is using the Topic (tm) search engine
from Verity Corp. This is the same engine that Notes uses. Adobe has
integrated the engine with Acrobat and provided the necessary PDF-text
filters. The indexes are built by the tools (like Distiller) that create
the PDF.

-Jeff Leader

Sat, 29 Mar 1997 09:53:59 GMT
 Acrobat 2.0 now on ftp.adobe.com, and I've got some questions
(*** BNR/NT warning: this is going into external groups ***)

I just pulled Acrobat Reader 2.0 for Macintosh and MSWindows off of
ftp.adobe.com and fired up the Mac version.  If looks like this might
be a somewhat reduced version of the product.  The ReadMe file says:

Quote:
> To take full advantage of the benefits of electronic documents, you
> can purchase Acrobat, Acrobat Pro, or Acrobat for Workgroups with the
> coupon contained in the Acrobat Reader On-Line Guide or by calling
> 800-87-ADOBE (800-872-3623). With the Acrobat products, you can:

> - Create your own electronic documents as easily as printing from your
>   existing applications with PDF Writer.
> - Protect your files with passwords; control access, printing,
>   changing the document, adding and changing notes, copying text and
>   graphics.
> - Find exactly what you need across multiple PDF files by searching on
>   keywords, author, title, subject, synonyms, etc.
> - Reuse information easily by extracting, copying, reordering and
>   replacing pages among PDF files -- with bookmarks, links, and  notes
>   preserved.
> - Create your own custom views into information.
> - Add value, set priorities, and maintain a dynamic information
>   network with links, bookmarks, notes and connections to external
>   applications and documents.
> - Take advantage of third-party plug-ins to add new features to
>   Acrobat.
> - Integrate Acrobat with your desktop applications with Acrobat's
>   support for AppleEvents, OLE automation, Notes F/X, and more.

But Apple Script Editor 1.1 doesn't seem to want to find a dictionary
in this program even though the ReadMe file talks about AppleEvents and
so I wonder if this isn't quite the whole thing.

In addition, I'm wondering about the indexing/searching, security, and
the ability to extend Acrobat via things like third-party plug-ins and
AppleEvents.  How does all this work?  Is there any support available
for dropping PDF files into systems like WAIS, AppleSearch, or Lotus
Notes and make use of their indexing, search, and retrieval services
(perhaps through developers' support services from Adobe in the form of
source/binary code libraries)?  For example, both AppleSearch and Notes
have supported the full-text indexing of CommonGround files for about
a year now ... has Acrobat finally caught up?

I poked around on ftp.adobe.com but couldn't find anything that talked
about any of these subjects and so I'm posting this to ask if anyone
has any news or material that answers any of these question and, if so,
could you please make it available?

Thanks.

--

P.O. Box 3511, Station C, Ottawa, Canada, K1Y 4H7 \ Phone: 613-763-3556
** Opinions expressed are mine, not BNR's. - MJB ** \ Fax: 613-763-5048

Sat, 29 Mar 1997 13:39:44 GMT
 Acrobat 2.0 now on ftp.adobe.com, and I've got some questions
Acrobat Reader was designed for mass market viewing of PDF files. Reader
does not support any API and has minimal Apple event (run, open file,
print, quit) and corresponding DDE support.  For developing or integrating
with Acrobat, you need to use Acrobat Exchange.  Exchange supports a broad
API that allows for the development of plug-ins (additional features for
Acrobat like PageMaker Additions or Quark Extensions).  Exchange also has
substantial support for Apple events, DDE and OLE Automation.  In addition,
Exchange is an OLE 2.0 server (Windows only) and support Lotus Notes/FX
technology. Exchange is not free.

In terms of full text, index based search...The search client (which is a
plug-in) is included in Acrobat Exchange (sold as Acrobat 2.0).  The
technology is indeed based on Verity's Topic search engine.  The indexes
are created by the Acrobat Catalog product (not by the Distiller) which is
a separate product that only creates indexes (not PDF files).  Acrobat
Catalog is sold as part of the Acrobat for Workgroups product and is
Windows only but can index any collection of PDF files on the net.

Anyone interested in Acrobat Development can get more specific information
from the Adobe Developers Association.

Developer Support
Adobe Systems, Inc.

Sun, 30 Mar 1997 01:17:17 GMT
 Acrobat 2.0 now on ftp.adobe.com, and I've got some questions

Quote:

> > - Integrate Acrobat with your desktop applications with Acrobat's
> >   support for AppleEvents, OLE automation, Notes F/X, and more.

> But Apple Script Editor 1.1 doesn't seem to want to find a dictionary
> in this program even though the ReadMe file talks about AppleEvents and
> so I wonder if this isn't quite the whole thing.

I'll have to grab it and take a look but there are various levels of
support for AppleEvents. An application can be capable of handling
AppleEvents without "publishing" that capability. An "AETE" (AppleEvent
terminology extension) resource needs to be included to enable
scriptability. That is what enables Apple Script Editor to display the
higher level semantic interface and terminology. Beyond that an
application can be structured so that it runs itself largely through
sending AppleEvents to itself which makes it possible to record scripts.
For instance Mosaic Netscape is scriptable and recordable. I suspect that
the next version of Common Ground will be both scriptable and recordable
though it is not available yet.

--

Sexton Software            CompuServe: 76545,527
Minneapolis, MN                   Fax: (612) 929-1799

Thu, 03 Apr 1997 01:07:40 GMT

1. ftp.adobe.com and acrobat

2. Adobe Acrobat Version 2.0 for Windows, Comments

3. Ok, I've got a very simple question

4. ftp.adobe.com

5. HELP: Adobe Type manager, Adobe Sans MM, Adobe Serif MM, Acrobat Distiller

6. Adobe's Transcript for FontMetrics 2.0?

7. Adobe Acrobat question

8. adobe 3.0 vs Adobe 2.0

9. I've got plenty of nothing (I think)

10. I 'VE FINALLY FIND!!!!!!!!!

11. Disaster Recovery - I've got the postscript

12. I've looked everwhere