looking for good, free, fixed-pitch PostScript fonts
Author Message
 looking for good, free, fixed-pitch PostScript fonts

Ghostscript comes with one fixed-pitch font, Courier, and it's
pretty ugly.  Looks like output from a dot-matrix printer with
bent pins and a faded ribbon.  I'd like to find some alternatives.
I've done archie searches on things like .gsf, .pfa, .pfb, but
didn't find anything useful.  I tried Ghostscript's script
to convert X11 .bdf files into postscript fonts, but it doesn't
seen to work - it aborts with an invalidfont error.

Any clues?
---
Jef

       "That must be wonderful!  I don't understand it at all."

Sun, 20 Aug 1995 10:02:37 GMT
 looking for good, free, fixed-pitch PostScript fonts

) Subject: looking for good, free, fixed-pitch PostScript fonts
) Date: Tue, 2 Mar 93 18:02:37 PST
)
) Ghostscript comes with one fixed-pitch font, Courier, and it's
) pretty ugly.  Looks like output from a dot-matrix printer with
) bent pins and a faded ribbon.  I'd like to find some alternatives.
) I've done archie searches on things like .gsf, .pfa, .pfb, but
) didn't find anything useful.  I tried Ghostscript's script
) to convert X11 .bdf files into PostScript fonts, but it doesn't
) seen to work - it aborts with an invalidfont error.
)

What version of GhostScript.  I have GS 2.5.2 and the Courier that
comes with it it straight from IBM (i.e. creators if Courier - I
think) and is a true outline font.

I did:
/Courier findfont 600 scalefont setfont
10 10 moveto (e) show

and got a VERY clean image, no jaggies or anything.

I believe there are some ATM (i.e. .PFB,.PFB) fonts on
ftp.cica.indiana.edu:~ftp/pub/pc/win3/fonts
                     ~ftp/pub/pc/win3/fonts/atm

Most of them are zip (get unzip50 from Info-ZIP to unzip them on
almost any machine)

--

Mon, 21 Aug 1995 05:08:43 GMT

1. Help change (increase) the pitch in a fixed pitch font

2. HP IIISi fixed pitch fonts under postscript

3. Need Fixed-pitch Japanese PS Font Names

4. looking for a date -- the best free site on the net

5. How to make fixed width fonts with non-fixed width fonts

6. I am looking for a free font

7. Looking for a free postscript/eps image library on the web

8. Looking for Font Downloader for Japanese PostScript (Composite) Fonts

9. Looking for a good postscript laser printer

10. Looking for a good intro postscript text

11. PostScript file looks good in ghostview, but ...

12. Looking for the best PD postscript viewer