Hard drive help needed
Author Message
 Hard drive help needed

I tried searching on deja first with little luck. Hope someone can help.

I finally own a printer with a hard drive, an HP 8550DN. I would like to use
"run" to execute an EPS file that lives on the HD, instead of breaking up
large files into small chunks that can be used as procedures.

On the phone with HP several times trying to get someone to understand the
problem. I should learn never to say the word "postscript" because
understandably their brain goes blank.

The problem is:

Getting an EPS file to the hard drive in a known directory and of course
retrieving it in a program when needed.

With the help of HP I have placed a file on the hard drive. It is there
somewhere but no one can tell me where it goes! I can print it from the
control panel on the printer and it stays on the drive. What directory is it
in. The file was placed on the machine by opening it in Photoshop, using
print and after several menus creating a "retained file".

The control panel allows me to print a listing of the directories, so I
thought I could find the file. Maybe (probably) I've done something wrong.
In a very simple program, I've used a command in the form:

(0:\\temp\\atlas.eps) run

I did this with all directories and sub directories with no luck.

I should probably try to use Postscript to write the file to disk but the
PLRM is not much help. I could use a real code example.

Also, I understand level 3 Postscript has a way to keep large files in
memory. Please point me to that in the new manual.

Thank you for any help.

Mike

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard drive help needed

Quote:

>With the help of HP I have placed a file on the hard drive. It is there
>somewhere but no one can tell me where it goes! I can print it from the
>control panel on the printer and it stays on the drive. What directory is it
>in. The file was placed on the machine by opening it in Photoshop, using
>print and after several menus creating a "retained file".

>The control panel allows me to print a listing of the directories, so I
>thought I could find the file. Maybe (probably) I've done something wrong.
>In a very simple program, I've used a command in the form:

>(0:\\temp\\atlas.eps) run

>I did this with all directories and sub directories with no luck.

Printers don't run DOS! And why would there be a TEMP directory in
your printer...

It is very device dependent, but the PostScript filing system is much
more likely to be like this:

/alpha/beta

To enquire about files you can use the standard filenameforall
procedure.

If HPs method for writing the hard drive didn't use PostScript, forget
it. The file is unlikely to be visible in the PostScript filing
system.

You will need to write files using a downloader that writes files in
PostScript (file, write, writestring, closefile operators).

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Search hard driveS for file help

2. Please help: Search Hard Drive

3. How do attach file from local hard drive

4. Iterating through all files on Hard drive

5. checking hard drive levels

6. Desperarely seeking Hp5si Hard drives

7. Hard drive initialisation

8. Does GhostScript work on non-C: hard drive?

9. Saving to the local hard drive

10. Download redirect to server hard drive

11. Search hard drive

12. find all the users external hard drives