printing multiple pages on one with Windows 3.1 and Postscript
Author Message
 printing multiple pages on one with Windows 3.1 and Postscript

There are some shareware tools to print the contents of 2, 4or 8
pages on one in the UNIX environment like mpage or psnup.
This may save a lot of paper if you just want to see how your print
looks like.
It should not be too difficult to do the same type of utility
in DOS or Windows.
Does anyone know of some program or Macro or a DOS- version of the
above,that does the same for output which has been generated for a
postscript printer under Windows 3.11. ( e.g. by printing to file)?
Something which works under DOS without having to be compiled, would
maybe help enough to get things going with little programming effort.

Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 printing multiple pages on one with Windows 3.1 and Postscript

Quote:

> [...]

>Does anyone know of some program or Macro or a DOS- version of the
>above,that does the same for output which has been generated for a
>Postscript printer under Windows 3.11. ( e.g. by printing to file)?
>Something which works under DOS without having to be compiled, would
>maybe help enough to get things going with little programming effort.

This little thing does the trick. However you need pstops, part of the psutils
package. I do not remember where the home of psutils is, but you may find on
several servers. Try one of the search machines. :-(

I use it this way:
   1 print postscript from any application to a file.
   2 Use psnup to generate the next file
   3 print the resulting file

My news reader does not allow too long lines, therefore some of the lines have
been broken. This is indicated in the text. The broken lines must be
concatenated before you try it. Leave a space when you delete the <CR>.

For some reason I have named this psnup. :-)

Bjorn BL.

psnup.bat

if "%3" == "" goto stop

if "%1" == "2" goto 2
if "%1" == "4" goto 4
if "%1" == "8" goto 8
if "%1" == "9" goto 9

if "%1" == "-2" goto 2
if "%1" == "-4" goto 4
if "%1" == "-8" goto 8
if "%1" == "-9" goto 9

goto stop

:2
rem
rem Two pages rotated and scaled
rem

goto slutt

:4
rem
rem 4 pages, scaled and placed.
rem

rem The following three lines must be concatenated to one.

c:\prog\psutils\pstops -q

%3

goto slutt

:8

rem 8 pages

rem
rem Because MS-DOS do not allow long command lines this must be done in two
rem steps, using the temp file psnup.$$$
rem First the pages are gruped 4 side by side, then two groups of 4 are placed
rem on top of each other.
rem

rem The following three lines must be concatenated to one.

c:\prog\psutils\pstops -q
m,22
.275cm) %2 psnup.$$$

c:\prog\psutils\pstops -q 2:0(10.5cm,0cm)+1(21cm,0cm) psnup.$$$ %3

del psnup.$$$goto slutt

:9
rem
rem Because MS-DOS do not allow long command lines this must be done in two
rem steps, using the temp file psnup.$$$
rem First 3 pages are grouped side by side, then 3 pages are place on top of
rem each other.
rem

rem The next 2 lines must be concatenated.

psnup.$$$

c:\prog\psutils\pstops -q 3:0(0cm,19.8cm)+1(0cm,9.9cm)+2(0cm,0cm) psnup.$$$ %3

del psnup.$$$
goto slutt

:stop

echo "  Correct usage is:"
echo "     psnup [-]{2|4|8|9} <infile> <outfile>"

:slutt

               s-mail:                         e-mail:

|__ |__ |      Sor-Trondelag College
|  \|  \|      Gunnerus gate 1
|__/|__/|_     N-7005 TRONDHEIM                tel: +47 - 7389 6288
               NORWAY                          fax: +47 - 7389 6286

Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 printing multiple pages on one with Windows 3.1 and Postscript

Quote:

>There are some shareware tools to print the contents of 2, 4or 8
>pages on one in the UNIX environment like mpage or psnup.
>This may save a lot of paper if you just want to see how your print
>looks like.
>It should not be too difficult to do the same type of utility
>in DOS or Windows.
>Does anyone know of some program or Macro or a DOS- version of the
>above,that does the same for output which has been generated for a
>Postscript printer under Windows 3.11. ( e.g. by printing to file)?
>Something which works under DOS without having to be compiled, would
>maybe help enough to get things going with little programming effort.

As a different approach you could use the Adobe PostScript driver 3.01
and above which offers n-up printing for most applications.

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 printing multiple pages on one with Windows 3.1 and Postscript

How would you use the Adobe Postscript
driver to print a 2-up version of a
postscript file?

George Chiu

Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 printing multiple pages on one with Windows 3.1 and Postscript

Quote:
>How would you use the Adobe Postscript
>driver to print a 2-up version of a
>postscript file?

You can't. It won't read a PostScript file. It will allow you to
create PostScript to print 2- or 4-up. This isn't quite what the
original question asked for, but since it referred specifically to
PostScript produced from the Windows drivers, there is a good chance
that being able to do it in one step is an even better answer. Or not.

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Print to a Postscript file in Delphi and Paradox in Windows 3.1

2. Problem: Windows 3.1, ATM and postscript printing

3. how to print multiple pages on one page

4. Printing Multiple Pages on One Page

5. Help: Printing one logical page to multiple physical pages

6. psnup -- print multiple page images to one physical page

7. Printing one page over multiple pages (inverse psnup)

8. Printing multiple pages from one page

9. recompiling ghostscript-3.53 under Windows 3.1 with BC 3.1

10. QUATTRO PRO 4, WINDOWS 3.1 AND PACIFIC PAGE HP LASER

11. MS Windows 3.1 Postscript driver and SUN SPARC printer

12. MS Windows 3.1 PostScript driver and DSC