GS can't find fonts
Author Message
 GS can't find fonts

I've just started using GS 5.5 on a Mac to view PS files on screen and,
eventually, to create PDF files for distribution.

The PS files are created from PageMaker 6.0 by printing to file, using
LaserWriter 8.5

Watching the output, all the fonts seem to be downloaded as needed. But
when I open the file with GS, there seem to be some files that it cannot
find. Others are perfectly OK.

I've done everything I can to sort out the files, but the only thing I
can see now seems to be that GS is looking for a slightly different Font
Name, "GoudyOldStyleCGATT" instead of "Goudy Old STyle CG ATT"

How can I persuade GS to find the correct file? If this is in a FAQ or
an archive, I have not been able to find it.

Thanks

Jeremy Cherfas

Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 GS can't find fonts
Quote:

> I've just started using GS 5.5 on a Mac to view PS files on screen and,
> eventually, to create PDF files for distribution.

> The PS files are created from PageMaker 6.0 by printing to file, using
> LaserWriter 8.5

> Watching the output, all the fonts seem to be downloaded as needed. But
> when I open the file with GS, there seem to be some files that it cannot
> find. Others are perfectly OK.

> I've done everything I can to sort out the files, but the only thing I
> can see now seems to be that GS is looking for a slightly different Font
> Name, "GoudyOldStyleCGATT" instead of "Goudy Old STyle CG ATT"

I don't know if Ghostscript on Mac uses a Fontmap file as on other
platforms.
If yes, edit this file to tell Ghostscript the FILE name containing this
font. In any case, check if the font in question is properly named. The
string "Goudy Old STyle CG ATT" is a menu name; I suppose it is
misspelled and
should read "Goudy Old Style CG ATT", which would result in a file name
"GoudyOldStyCGATT" containing the postscript resources.
FYI: the MacOS has somewhat weird naming conventions for font files :the
5-3-3...
rule. It is roughly as follows:
1. from the "official font name", e.g. "Times-BoldOsfItalic", strip off
all
   hypens (results in "TimesBoldOsfItalic").
2. Split this into separate words after any lower case letter (or
non-letter)
   followed by an upper case letter (results in "Times Bold Osf
Oblique").
   This string should be taken as the menu name for the font suitcase.
3. From the first word, take the first five characters, from all other
words,
   take the first three characters (-> "Times Bol Osf Ita")
4. Delete the spaces (-> "TimesBolOsfIta"), that is the file name for
the
   PostScript resources of the font.
If these conventions are violated, an application (be it Ghostscript or
a printer
driver) may or may not find the font resource file.

Helge

Quote:

--

Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 GS can't find fonts

Can someone please explain why MacGS finds some of the fonts but not
others, when all of them appear to be downloaded to the PS file when I
print to File from Pagemaker?

This is driving me nuts.

Thanks

Jeremy Cherfas

Sat, 31 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 GS can't find fonts
Are you sure all the enviromental variables and options are set
correctly? I am not sure if MACS work the same way or not, but you need
to have the enviromental variables point to the fonts, e.g., this is my
variables I set for all of my Adobe postscript fontgs,

SET GS_LIB=G:\Utils\Viewer\gs5.50;G:\Utils\Viewer\gs5.50\Fonts;D:\PSFonts

Quote:

>I tried various suggestions and permutations in the Fontmap file, with
>no luck.

>Can someone please explain why MacGS finds some of the fonts but not
>others, when all of them appear to be downloaded to the PS file when I
>print to File from Pagemaker?

>This is driving me nuts.

>Thanks

>Jeremy Cherfas

Mon, 02 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 GS can't find fonts

Quote:

> Are you sure all the enviromental variables and options are set
> correctly? I am not sure if MACS work the same way or not, but you need
> to have the enviromental variables point to the fonts, e.g., this is my
> variables I set for all of my Adobe postscript fontgs,

> SET GS_LIB=G:\Utils\Viewer\gs5.50;G:\Utils\Viewer\gs5.50\Fonts;D:\PSFonts

I'm not sure where I would set this variable, but in any case Macs
always keep their fonts in the same place, the Fonts folder in the
System folder of the Startup disk.

--
Jeremy Cherfas
Somerset, UK

Tue, 03 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 GS can't find fonts
That may be true, However, (I am not sure about MACS) Ghostscript
generally places the fonts in the gs5.x directory under Fonts. You may
try using some of the other options -I with it pointing to your font
directory. Note, make sure that the fontmap variable is properly set.
Quote:

>> Are you sure all the enviromental variables and options are set
>> correctly? I am not sure if MACS work the same way or not, but you need
>> to have the enviromental variables point to the fonts, e.g., this is my
>> variables I set for all of my Adobe postscript fontgs,

>> SET GS_LIB=G:\Utils\Viewer\gs5.50;G:\Utils\Viewer\gs5.50\Fonts;D:\PSFonts

>I'm not sure where I would set this variable, but in any case Macs
>always keep their fonts in the same place, the Fonts folder in the
>System folder of the Startup disk.

>--
>Jeremy Cherfas
>Somerset, UK

Sat, 07 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. GS 3.51 on PC doesn't seem to find fonts

2. Can't find fonts gs 3.01

3. gs and why can't gs find my fonts? what's my command line?

4. Installing OS/2 GS 3.53 - can't find Times

5. Problem with GS, fonts are not found!

6. RH7.3 Ghostscript upgrade to 7.05 can't find fonts

7. gsview can't find fonts?

8. Why can't Ghostscript find fonts?

9. HELP, Can't find the fonts.

10. how to find out the client's windows system font-size (big/ small) - important

11. MAC GS 5.01 doesn't see my fonts

12. Newby question: why won't GS find my font?