ascii code offset
Author Message
 ascii code offset

I'm writing a program that extracts data from postscript spool files (Win
95). Sometimes the ascii characters are offset (in an ashow). For example W
(ascii code dec 87) is really U (ascii code dec 85). The offset is -2.

Does anyone know why this would be, how this would be, where in the ps code
the decode offset is specified?

Please help.

Sun, 01 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ascii code offset

Quote:

> I'm writing a program that extracts data from postscript spool files (Win
> 95). Sometimes the ascii characters are offset (in an ashow). For example W
> (ascii code dec 87) is really U (ascii code dec 85). The offset is -2.

> Does anyone know why this would be, how this would be, where in the ps code
> the decode offset is specified?

> Please help.

    This is a known problem with Windows-95: Microsoft does not
    follow the industry standard known as ASCII encoding.

    This doesn't affect printing which does not care about font
    encoding, but does affect programs like Adobe Acrobat.

    If you attempt to copy text from out of a PDF that originally
    came a W95 PostScript file, that text may appear garbled.

    You can test if this is your problem by distilling your PS file
    with Acrobat Distiller and then attempt to copy the problem text
    to another document. If the text transfers garbled, you know the
    encoding does not follow the ASCII standard.

    /Bob

--
 Robert A. Anderson            Tel:    603.884.3269
 Compaq Computer Corp.         Fax:    603.884.3940

Mon, 02 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ascii code offset
:    This is a known problem with Windows-95: Microsoft does not
:    follow the industry standard known as ASCII encoding.

just a problem with spool files?  I have created many postscript files
by print-to-disk under win95 with no problems.
--

to reply simply press "r"
       -- I hate editing addresses more than I hate the spam!

Mon, 02 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ascii code offset
Quote:
>just a problem with spool files?  I have created many postscript files by

print-to-disk under win95 with no problems.

This is what I'm doing (print to file). It is a problem with Windows NT 4.0
also.

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ascii code offset
:This is what I'm doing (print to file). It is a problem with Windows NT 4.0
:also.

how about that - I reproduced the trouble under NT.  Appears to happen
when the font gets included in the file (are they perhaps playing
some game related to font copyrights?)

--

to reply simply press "r"
       -- I hate editing addresses more than I hate the spam!

Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ascii code offset

Quote:

> I'm writing a program that extracts data from postscript spool files (Win
> 95). Sometimes the ascii characters are offset (in an ashow). For example W
> (ascii code dec 87) is really U (ascii code dec 85). The offset is -2.

> Does anyone know why this would be, how this would be, where in the ps code
> the decode offset is specified?

Are you sure this is happening in 95/98?  I have never seen this other than in NT,
where the printer drivers (both MS and Adobe that is) have yet to learn how to
implement wide character support in  a more reasonable fashion .

Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ascii code offset

Quote:
>Are you sure this is happening in 95/98?  I have never seen this other than
in NT,
>where the printer drivers (both MS and Adobe that is) have yet to learn how
>implement wide character support in  a more reasonable fashion .

Yes, positive. It actually seems to be 'stupider' on Win 95.

Fri, 13 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. command in ASP/VBscript to convert date and time into a Hex code, ASCII code

2. command in ASP/VBscript to convert date and time into a Hex code, ASCII code

3. special characters and ASCII code

4. Extracting ASCII code from Characters

5. Q: ASCII code for euro symbol ?

6. replace ascii codes

7. ASCII Character Code Reference Chart

8. Sending ASCII/HEX codes to printer??

9. passing ascii code to onKeyPress event?

10. Copy ASCII Codes to Network Printer does not Work Permison Error

11. ps font code table???(like ascii table)

12. need postscript to ascii code