Display PostScript - NX
Author Message
 Display PostScript - NX

I was told that there is a product called DPS-NX which will
allow applications running DPS to display on remote X-windows
terminals which do not have DPS.  Basically we would like to
run pageview and answerbook on macs running eXodus, which does
not have DPS support.

Is anyone familiar with this?  Do I need to contact Adobe or
our local sun dealer to get this software?  Any help is greatly
appreciated.

John Hopper

Thu, 09 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Display PostScript - NX

: I was told that there is a product called DPS-NX which will
: allow applications running DPS to display on remote X-windows
: terminals which do not have DPS.  Basically we would like to
: run pageview and answerbook on macs running eXodus, which does
: not have DPS support.

: Is anyone familiar with this?  Do I need to contact Adobe or
: our local sun dealer to get this software?  Any help is greatly
: appreciated.

There is such a product, and your description of it is about right,
from what I know.  You should contact Adobe for more information.

--
Peter Davis                    "Education is not the                617/873-4145
BBN Educational Technologies    filling of a pail, but      FAX: 617/873-2455

Cambridge, MA 02140                     -- W. B. Yeats

Sat, 11 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Display PostScript - NX

Quote:

>: I was told that there is a product called DPS-NX which will
>: allow applications running DPS to display on remote X-windows
>: terminals which do not have DPS.  Basically we would like to
>: run pageview and answerbook on macs running eXodus, which does
>: not have DPS support.
>There is such a product, and your description of it is about right,
>from what I know.  You should contact Adobe for more information.

DPS-NX was supposed to be included in Solaris 2.4. Then it was not,
then it was, then it was not, etc. And obviously it is *not* included.
So how about Solaris 2.5. Is DPS-NX included :-)

--

Sat, 11 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Display PostScript - NX

   Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript,comp.unix.solaris

   Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 18:31:00 GMT

   >: I was told that there is a product called DPS-NX which will
   >: allow applications running DPS to display on remote X-windows
   >: terminals which do not have DPS.  Basically we would like to
   >: run pageview and answerbook on macs running eXodus, which does
   >: not have DPS support.

   >There is such a product, and your description of it is about right,
   >from what I know.  You should contact Adobe for more information.

   DPS-NX was supposed to be included in Solaris 2.4. Then it was not,
   then it was, then it was not, etc. And obviously it is *not* included.
   So how about Solaris 2.5. Is DPS-NX included :-)

   --

Huh?  Dunno who your source is, but as the Project Lead for
Display PostScript on Solaris, I can safely say that the DPS

An NX Agent on Solaris would be required to recognize all of
our value added functionality and run on all of our platforms,
so it's not as trivial as slapping Adobe's binary on our CD.

Rick

        Richard M. Goldstein

        Window Platform Software Group
        SunSoft, Inc.

        "Without time, we pick up all the streams,
        and find the leaves that drift out in between"
                        - Kirkwood

Sat, 11 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Display PostScript - NX

Quote:
>DPS-NX was supposed to be included in Solaris 2.4. Then it was not,
>then it was, then it was not, etc. And obviously it is *not* included.
>So how about Solaris 2.5. Is DPS-NX included :-)

It's more that Solaris 2.4 libdps includes support for NX so you
can display Answerbook documents if you have NX.

Casper
--
Casper Dik - Network Security Engineer - Sun Microsystems
This article is posted from my guest account at the University

Wed, 15 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Display PostScript - NX
Quote:

 (Innermost message deleted)

Quote:
>    DPS-NX was supposed to be included in Solaris 2.4. Then it was not,
>    then it was, then it was not, etc. And obviously it is *not* included.
>    So how about Solaris 2.5. Is DPS-NX included :-)

>    --

> Huh?  Dunno who your source is, but as the Project Lead for
> Display PostScript on Solaris, I can safely say that the DPS
> NX Agent was never on our deliverable list for 2.4 nor is it
> for 2.5.  What was promised is that our DPS apps, namely
> docviewer, imagetool, and pageview, would be able to work with
> an NX Agent if one was in use.

We have DPS/NX, but found that pageview didn't work with it under
Solaris 2.3, at least.  What release of Solaris will have a pageview
that works with DPS/NX?

Sat, 18 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Display PostScript - NX

   Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript,comp.unix.solaris
   Date: 2 May 1995 14:54:54 GMT

    (Innermost message deleted)

   >    DPS-NX was supposed to be included in Solaris 2.4. Then it was not,
   >    then it was, then it was not, etc. And obviously it is *not* included.
   >    So how about Solaris 2.5. Is DPS-NX included :-)
   >
   >    --
   >
   > Huh?  Dunno who your source is, but as the Project Lead for
   > Display PostScript on Solaris, I can safely say that the DPS
   > NX Agent was never on our deliverable list for 2.4 nor is it
   > for 2.5.  What was promised is that our DPS apps, namely
   > docviewer, imagetool, and pageview, would be able to work with
   > an NX Agent if one was in use.

   We have DPS/NX, but found that pageview didn't work with it under
   Solaris 2.3, at least.  What release of Solaris will have a pageview
   that works with DPS/NX?

Solaris 2.4.  The only issue was that PageView and ImageTool
were testing to see if DPS was present by calling XQueryExtension,
which would obviously fail if all you had was an NX agent.  This
was a reasonable thing to do in the days before NX, but now they
make this check in a more NX-friendly way.

Rick

        Richard M. Goldstein

        Window Platform Software Group
        SunSoft, Inc.

        "I Kant, therefore I am."

Sun, 19 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Display PostScript - NX

Quote:

>Solaris 2.4.  The only issue was that PageView and ImageTool
>were testing to see if DPS was present by calling XQueryExtension,
>which would obviously fail if all you had was an NX agent.  This
>was a reasonable thing to do in the days before NX, but now they
>make this check in a more NX-friendly way.

What's the recommended way for checking for DPS capability now?

Well, our problem stems from the fact that we, basically, allow every planet
and moon-base this side of Alpha Centauri to make their own version of Spam.
                                                        "Mystery Meat"
                                                        Man... or Astroman?

Wed, 22 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Display PostScript - NX

   Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript,comp.unix.solaris
   Date: 6 May 1995 21:34:14 GMT

   >Solaris 2.4.  The only issue was that PageView and ImageTool
   >were testing to see if DPS was present by calling XQueryExtension,
   >which would obviously fail if all you had was an NX agent.  This
   >was a reasonable thing to do in the days before NX, but now they
   >make this check in a more NX-friendly way.

   What's the recommended way for checking for DPS capability now?

If you're using the DiPSTicK, you can call XDPSExtensionPresent
(yes, it's a misnomer), otherwise, just create a context and
check to see if it returns NULL.

Rick

        Richard M. Goldstein

        Window Platform Software Group
        SunSoft, Inc.

        "I Kant, therefore I am."

Thu, 23 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Display PostScript NX

2. Display Postscript NX ?

3. Display Poscscript-NX

4. DPS-NX (by Bluestone)

5. PostScript displays fine, but prints wrong

6. Display PostScript Availability (Summary)

7. Display PostScript for a PC?

8. Display Postscript Availability

9. NeXT Display PostScript

10. Soliciting Display PostScript opinions

11. C code beautifier for postscript printers/displays

12. Wanted: Postscript interpreter for Macintosh display