Can I view the .ps file in the console mode?
Author Message
 Can I view the .ps file in the console mode?

Hi,
     I don't want to install X.

Thanks.

Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:57:14 GMT
 Can I view the .ps file in the console mode?
postscript being a (mostly) textual interpreted language, any text editor
(emacs, vi, notepad, whatever) will show you the PostScript *program*.

If you want to see the result of the program *execution* (usually a
graphical output) you need an interpreter. If you don't want screen output
(you asked for "console mode") then you can use Acrobat Distiller to create
a PDF file. Or run GhostScript to create a PDF or a TIFF or a JPEG or... (I
think X is not required by GhostScript, as long as the output device is a
file.)

And X is not required *at all* with the Windows build of GS.
Fran?ois Robert
(to mail me, reverse character order in reply address)

Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:45:53 GMT
 Can I view the .ps file in the console mode?

Quote:
> If you want to see the result of the program *execution* (usually a
> graphical output) you need an interpreter. If you don't want screen
> output (you asked for "console mode")

How about ASCII graphics... :)

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:05:30 GMT
 Can I view the .ps file in the console mode?

    HMJ> Hi, I don't want to install X.

ps2ascii (from Ghostscript distributions)
pstotext (http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/virtual-paper/pstotext.html)

Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:00:07 GMT
 Can I view the .ps file in the console mode?

Quote:

> Hi,
>     I don't want to install X.

The easiest thing to do is print the postscript then.

There may be a framebuffer portion of ghostscript, but I
don't know of it. There is a dvi framebuffer viewer, though.

--
Dave Blake

Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:11:16 GMT
 Can I view the .ps file in the console mode?

Quote:

>     I don't want to install X.  Thanks.

There were old Ghostscript versions for DOS which would write directly
to EGA/VGA monitors (very old versions, 2.3 and earlier, would even
write to CGA and Herc monitors); maybe you could run one of those
versions in FreeDos or whatever the DOS emulator is (have no idea if
that would work).  Viewing was pretty primitive though -- you had to
decide what the magnification was beforehand with a command-line
option, there was no changing it on the fly, no scrolling to display
any part of the page that may have been off the screen at your chosen
magnification, and the ">>showpage, press <return> to continue<<" text
appeared at the bottom of the screen after each page was displayed,
overwriting anything previously displayed there (i.e. there was no
separation between rendered graphics output and Postscript interpreter
messages).

--%!PS
10 10 scale/M{rmoveto}def/R{rlineto}def 12 45 moveto 0 5 R 4 -1 M 5.5 0 R
currentpoint 3 sub 3 90 0 arcn 0 -6 R 7.54 10.28 M 2.7067 -9.28 R -5.6333
2 setlinewidth 0 R 9.8867 8 M 7 0 R 0 -9 R -6 4 M 0 -4 R stroke showpage

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:32:03 GMT

1. Getting input in Console mode

2. Runing console mode aplications

3. Problem with viewing all pages of a ps file with embedded eps files

4. running console app in same console

5. Viewing PS files

6. Can't view .ps file created in Win95 from gv in UNIX

7. Viewing .ps files using Acrobat

8. how to view ps files in windows?

9. how do I view a *.ps file?

10. How can I view .ps file?