groff & imageable area on Apple LaserWriter
Author Message
 groff & imageable area on Apple LaserWriter
When I print groff generated postscript on an Apple LWII, the bottom
1/2" consistently gets cut off... on a DECLN03R the same postscript
prints fine right up to the edge of the paper.  I'm probably doing
something wrong, but I can't figure out what it could be... the Apple
Laserwriter driver on the Mac has an option for "larger print area"
that allows you to print up to about 2/16" of the edge of the paper,
and also some postscript documents that I've grabbed from the Net
print right up to the edge, whereas some also have their footers
chopped.

I don't know postscript, but I assume there is a statement for setting
the imageable area that needs to be included in the code which my
groff installation isn't generating?  I suppose I could change the
"paperlength" setting in the "DESC" file, but that would only be a
workaround, not a solution.  Also, for the case of postscript files
for which I have no source, can I change the default of the printer so
that they'll print correctly even if they don't explicitly include
this code?

Forgive if this is a naive question... I did read the c.l.p. FAQ
(excellent, kudos to the authors) but couldn't find anything relevant.

--

Mount Holyoke College        |      Voice: (US) 413-538-2375 (daytime)
South Hadley, MA, USA        | Snail Mail: J. Botz, 01075-0629

Tue, 23 May 1995 11:34:14 GMT
[...]

I wish I had the tech manual for my Apple LaserWriter IINT, which I assume
would have all of the device dependent operators in it.  But, if nobody has
messed with the printer, it should print near the edges.  Here is a simple
little piece of code that will draw a 1" wide box around the outside edge
of 8.5" x 11" paper.  It is a gray box, so that ink isn't wasted.  It will
not print up exactly to the edges, but pretty close.  If it doesn't print
the bottom 1/2" then something is wrong with the printer.

***** cut here and send to printer *****
%!
72 setlinewidth
.95 setgray
36 36 moveto 0 720 rlineto 540 0 rlineto 0 -720 rlineto closepath stroke
showpage
**** end of file to send *****

There are other programs that will compute the imagable area and display a
box, but it is longer and you are just interested in seeing if the printer will
really print there.

There is nothing in groff that you can change, if the PostScript file prints
correctly elsewhere.

A clippath area can be set for a particular job, but if the printer is turned
off, and then back on, that clippath will be removed.

Did someone put your printer in the "note" paper size mode by mistake?  That
will decrease the vertical image are by about .8 inches.  I found this by
looking at the old Red PostScript manual, which had more technical information
on the Apple LaserWriter.  There wasn't an EEPROM value that could be used to
change the image area, other than "note".

It is tough trying to determine if someone screwed with the printer's EEPROM,
but it can be done.
--
      harvard\                          spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

Wed, 24 May 1995 13:46:51 GMT

1. Printable Area Adjustments On Apple LaserWriter?

2. Apple LaserWriter Select 310: Image area too small?

3. Apple Laserwriter Driver 8.3 is broken for Apple Laserwriters

4. printing area on an Apple LaserWriter IIg

5. Apple LaserWriter IIf: printing area

6. Apple LaserWriter II NTX & HP Emulation

7. Imageable area and friends

8. Imageable area of printer

9. Imageable area of printer

10. Imageable area change ?

11. 8.5 x 14 image area on Apple LW

12. Change image area on LaserWriter/QMS-810