Password Protected PDF?
Author Message
 Password Protected PDF?

Does anyone know if Ghostscript supports creation of password protected
PDF?
Thanks
Ed Deinstadt

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:07:37 GMT
 Password Protected PDF?

Quote:
>  Does anyone know if Ghostscript supports creation of password
>  protected PDF?

Not in the US. You can download one file that allows
reading/decoding of all password protected PDFs from Australia.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~geoffk/pdfencrypt/

--
Dave Blake

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:21:14 GMT
 Password Protected PDF?
I think he wanted to _create_ protected PDFs, not read them.

As far as I know, Ghostscript does not support this.

tom b.

Quote:

>>  Does anyone know if Ghostscript supports creation of password
>>  protected PDF?

>Not in the US. You can download one file that allows
>reading/decoding of all password protected PDFs from Australia.

>http://members.ozemail.com.au/~geoffk/pdfencrypt/

>--
>Dave Blake

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:49:50 GMT
 Password Protected PDF?

Quote:
>  I think he wanted to _create_ protected PDFs, not read them.

>  As far as I know, Ghostscript does not support this.

My bad.

Why would someone want to support such a useless feature ?
You are better off taking a pdf and using real encryption on
it, like PGP. At least then you will have real password
protection. As it is, xpdf and ghostscript both bypass the
trivial password protection schemes in ghostscript.

--
Dave Blake

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:18:45 GMT
 Password Protected PDF?
It doesn't make sense to me but I have a customer who thinks that there
is some benefit.
Thanks for the replies.
Ed Deinstadt
Quote:

> >  I think he wanted to _create_ protected PDFs, not read them.

> >  As far as I know, Ghostscript does not support this.

> My bad.

> Why would someone want to support such a useless feature ?
> You are better off taking a pdf and using real encryption on
> it, like PGP. At least then you will have real password
> protection. As it is, xpdf and ghostscript both bypass the
> trivial password protection schemes in ghostscript.

> --
> Dave Blake

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:50:58 GMT
 Password Protected PDF?

Actually, with GS 7.00 we included pdf_sec.ps in the standard
distribution since the US gov relaxed restrictions a while ago.

Also in 7.03 or later (7.04 is latest as of this writing) AFPL
Ghostscript also includes decode for PDF 1.4 128-bit "standard"
encryption.

We don't have immediate plans to support encryption in the pdfwrite
device.

Quote:

>>  Does anyone know if Ghostscript supports creation of password
>>  protected PDF?

>Not in the US. You can download one file that allows
>reading/decoding of all password protected PDFs from Australia.

>http://members.ozemail.com.au/~geoffk/pdfencrypt/

>--
>Dave Blake

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 06:57:36 GMT

1. Password Protected Site

2. Connecting to password protected network drives

3. Accessing password protected database

4. password protecting a page

5. protecting pages with passwords

6. open password protected database

7. Opening Excel Password protected workbooks

8. logon to a password protected web page

9. Q: Password Protecting Printers

10. Password Protected Site

11. Password Protecting using VBScript

12. Bookmark used on a password protected page