Pixel Lock Resolution
Author Message
 Pixel Lock Resolution

Hello all --

The current project requires the equivalent of a 1.9 point typeface.
Hand coded Type3 font.  For satisfactory output we plan to use a
Linotronic (?) at 5,000 dpi.  This is _barely_ satisfactory according to
calculations.

A recent test, though, showed wide variations in stroke width and
spacings (viewed with MAGnification).  I suspect that Pixel Lock methods
might help this, but have lost whatever references to examples and
explanations that I once had.

I would appreciate some coaching on this issue, url's or ISBN's.
--
Chris Kuether, Instrument Designer
CollegeOfOptometry, UniversityOfHouston

--- remember folks, reality is ANALOG ---

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Pixel Lock Resolution

Quote:

>Hello all --

>The current project requires the equivalent of a 1.9 point typeface.
>Hand coded Type3 font.  For satisfactory output we plan to use a
>Linotronic (?) at 5,000 dpi.  This is _barely_ satisfactory according to
>calculations.

>A recent test, though, showed wide variations in stroke width and
>spacings (viewed with MAGnification).  I suspect that Pixel Lock methods
>might help this, but have lost whatever references to examples and
>explanations that I once had.

Sounds like you need to look at setstrokeadjust, although that will
only standardise one of the width or spacing of rules.

Given that you're already using a hand-coded Type 3 font and it sounds
as if you plan to only use it at one size and resolution I suggest
that you very carefully design it for that size and resolution, maybe
even think about a bitmap representation than strokes.

See
http://partners.adobe.com/supportservice/devrelations/PDFS/TN/PLRM.pdf
for the postscript reference manual which covers both.

Regards

Martin Bailey

 Digital Print & Publishing                 Harlequin Ltd

 I try to ensure that my views expressed here accord with
 my employers, but I am not a spokesman for Harlequin and
        the buck stops with me for what I say here

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Pixel Lock Resolution

Quote:

>Hello all --

>The current project requires the equivalent of a 1.9 point typeface.
>Hand coded Type3 font.  For satisfactory output we plan to use a
>Linotronic (?) at 5,000 dpi.  This is _barely_ satisfactory according to
>calculations.

Huh?  I make that 131 pixels to play with - or the equivalent of a 30 pt
headline at 300dpi.  Anything should be able to render that without problems.
If your harlines are thin enough to show gross stroke width variation at that
size, then they're going to disappear altogether when you devleop and print the
output from your Linotronic.

First suggestion - have you thoroughly debugged your type 3 font?

Second suggestion - use a commercially available font.

Ian Kemmish                   18 Durham Close, Biggleswade, Beds SG18 8HZ, UK

Behind every successful organisation stands one person who knows the secret
of how to keep the managers away from anything truly important.

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Snap to Pixel Question

2. Twip to pixel using VbScript

3. defining pixel graphics as macro

4. Driving Printer at Pixel Level?

5. Twips to Pixels

6. I need to resize a window to 60 pixels

7. get the width or length of a string in pixels

8. How to acquire a string length in pixel using javascript

9. converting pixel to twips

10. Pixels

11. Pixel and mm relaionship

12. rendering at fixed width in pixels?