problems importing postscript into freehand
Author Message
 problems importing postscript into freehand

Hi All.

This little postscript code gives me a lot of problems. Using Adobe
Illustrator 7.0 it is not a problem to load it and use it further on.
Macromedia Freehand shows only an EPS location box. It will not import
the two elements as editable paths.
Using Fontographer (also from Macromedia) can interpret the CURVETO
command but will not give me the ARCTO.

Does anybody know how to make Freehand and Fontographer import files
using the ARCTO command as editable path?

Thanx in advance.

        - joachim mueller

Please mail to:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%%Creator: Abnehmen v0.1?
%%CreationDate: (7/16/1998) (17:30)
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 500 500
%%DocumentProcSets: Abnehmen_v0.1?

%%EndComments

%%EndSetup

newpath 10 0 moveto
10 350 400 400 100 arct
400 400 lineto
0.5 setgray
stroke

newpath 10 0 moveto
100 400 300 400 200 200 curveto
400 400 lineto
stroke 0.5 setgray

%%Trailer

Sat, 20 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 problems importing postscript into freehand

Quote:

> Does anybody know how to make Freehand and Fontographer import files
> using the ARCTO command as editable path?
  [snip]
> newpath 10 0 moveto
> 10 350 400 400 100 arct

You are using the arct operator, a level 2 operator. Freehand and
Fontographer cannot handle this. If you replaced this with:

  10 350 400 400 100 arcto pop pop pop pop

or added the definition:

/arct { arcto pop pop pop pop } bind def

it would probably work.

Stephen Zisk

Sat, 20 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 problems importing postscript into freehand

Quote:

>Hi All.

>This little postscript code gives me a lot of problems. Using Adobe
>Illustrator 7.0 it is not a problem to load it and use it further on.
>Macromedia Freehand shows only an EPS location box. It will not import
>the two elements as editable paths.
>Using Fontographer (also from Macromedia) can interpret the CURVETO
>command but will not give me the ARCTO.

>Does anybody know how to make Freehand and Fontographer import files
>using the ARCTO command as editable path?

I'm impressed Ilustrator managed anything, since it isn't even an EPS.

Try importing to Illustrator and exporting again. This will simplify.

There are no real arcs in PostScript, illustrator, or type 1 fonts:
only bezier curves.

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Sat, 20 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 problems importing postscript into freehand

Quote:

> I'm impressed Ilustrator managed anything, since it isn't even an EPS.

All of the programs originally mentioned can import arbitrary PostScript
files with some restrictions. They all do this via a PostScript
interpreter with a specialized back end. The ones attached to
Fontographer and Freehand are L1 interpreters.

Other obvious restrictions are:

  * only one page can be imported
  * for fontographer, it will get confused by complex drawings/shapes
  * loses procedures, only maintaining objects

These are similar to the Distiller's restrictions. Using Distiller is
another "clean" way to convert arbitrary PostScript into something
parseable by Illustrator et al.

Stephen Zisk

Sat, 20 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ZapfDingbats problem in FreeHand generated EPSF ?

2. gs3.51 problem with FreeHand EPS in Frame doc

3. Problem printing from Aldus FreeHand

4. freehand to postscript?

5. Freehand: Using userprep file to add customized PostScript tricks

6. Exporting Freehand to Postscript without mucho baggage?

7. Postscript lines for Freehand on MAC

8. Generating editable PostScript for FreeHand

9. Importing PostScript into PostScript

10. eps import problems

11. Problem importing EPSI file into FrameBuilder

12. problem with xfig for importing EPS files