HP JetDirect for Unix
Author Message
 HP JetDirect for Unix

Quote:

> Yeah, wouldn't it be nice if HP did something standard, like LPD or
> TELNET??  What's so great about their canned software, anyway?

If the printer has an IP address, you can "telnet <ip_addr> 9100" and
have whatever you send to that telnet connection printed.  SunOS uses
LPD and the canned software supports it.  The code was written to run on
a SunSPARC station.  If you can get a copy of the source, you can
recompile it for your machine.  The older tapes HP distributed had the
source on it.  Many people have gotten it to work.

- Steve Kao

Tue, 15 Aug 1995 03:01:53 GMT
 HP JetDirect for Unix

   > Yeah, wouldn't it be nice if HP did something standard, like LPD or
   > TELNET??  What's so great about their canned software, anyway?

   If the printer has an IP address, you can "telnet <ip_addr> 9100" and
   have whatever you send to that telnet connection printed.  SunOS uses
   LPD and the canned software supports it.  The code was written to run on
   a SunSPARC station.  If you can get a copy of the source, you can
   recompile it for your machine.  The older tapes HP distributed had the
   source on it.  Many people have gotten it to work.

Anyone have one of these printers not behind a router so that I can print
some of rude message on it? {*filter*}o gifs, etc. :-)

I hope it's got at least some sort of security built into it.......
 <tdr.
--

Sat, 26 Aug 1995 12:39:16 GMT
 HP JetDirect for Unix

Quote:
> of course, who knows how many people actually bother to set up
> the access lists...

Very few!  I support the card, and have yet to talk to someone using the
access lists.

Quote:
> not an official statement of hp.

Me neither.

- Steve Kao

Tue, 29 Aug 1995 01:07:42 GMT
 HP JetDirect for Unix

Quote:
> Anyone have one of these printers not behind a router so that I can print
> some of rude message on it? {*filter*}o gifs, etc. :-)

> I hope it's got at least some sort of security built into it.......

it does.  you can define access lists of networks and/or hosts that
can connect to the printer.  unacceptable hosts receive a connection
refused message, i believe.

of course, who knows how many people actually bother to set up
the access lists...

not an official statement of hp.
--

                          San Diego Division       - or -
                          Hewlett-Packard Company  uunet!ucsd!hp-sdd!allyn

Mon, 28 Aug 1995 14:10:39 GMT

1. HP JetDirect for Unix

2. HP JetDirect printserver barfs on some PostScript jobs

3. HP LJ 4M JetDirect Cards Question

4. No output on HP 4050 TN from UNIX

5. Translate PS to HP-GL/2 on Unix

6. HP 970C, Ghostscript and Unix Box

7. again - printing in Unix (HP-UX)

8. printing in Unix (HP-UX)

9. HP IV Si printer driver for unix lpd or transcript

10. Connecting HP Laserjet 4M to Unix

11. HP LaserJet II, Unix and PostScript

12. UNIX driver for HP LaserJet III with Postscript Cartridge Plus