NEWBIE: EPS inclusion in a PS file.
Author Message
 NEWBIE: EPS inclusion in a PS file.

Hello all,

  I'm trying to include EPS files in a PS but I'm not doing everything as
it should.
  From previous posts I know I can do this by using the "run" command and
that I have to take any showpage commands out of the EPS file.

   --------------------------------

 The only showpage I have in the EPS file is:

[cutted text]
mul exch 0 get A mul add .99 lt{/QV}{/RV}ifelse load def pop pop}N/eop{

userdict/start-hook known{start-hook}if pop/VResolution X/Resolution X
[cutted text]

  What would be the right way of editing this??? (yes, I know nothing about
postscript....)

 ---------------------------------

 If I just include:

 (formula.eps) run

  at the end of the PS file, just before the showpage command.

 What I get is my formula.eps displayed  upside-down at the bottom of the
page.

 I also  hoped to be able to set the position of the eps figure by editing the
eps file like this:

BEFORE:
%%BoundingBox  178 610 433 642

AFTER:
%%BoundingBox  20 610 270 642

 But nothing happens....

  Could some merciful soul tell me what I'm doing wrong???

 NOTE: This is all being done on Debian GNU/Linux and the eps is produced
with:
$  latex   -interaction=batchmode  file.tex
$  dvips -o file.eps  -E file.dvi

 Thank you for your attention.
--
  Francisco.
  S?o Paulo, Brasil.

Thu, 04 Mar 2004 05:48:59 GMT
 NEWBIE: EPS inclusion in a PS file.

Quote:
>Hello all,

>  I'm trying to include EPS files in a PS but I'm not doing everything as
>it should.
>  From previous posts I know I can do this by using the "run" command and
>that I have to take any showpage commands out of the EPS file.

Neither of these is normally true.

Usually an EPS is included - actually physically included in the
PostScript file. Using run is of limited use, as it is only going to
work if the interpreter runs actually on the computer - most run
inside the printer.

There is never any need to edit the EPS to remove showpage. It is part
of the job of the including PostScript to disable showpage in the
prefix.

For instance

save
/showpage {}
... initialise graphics state ...
... other initialisations ...
... EPS included here ...
restore

Quote:

> If I just include:

> (formula.eps) run

>  at the end of the PS file, just before the showpage command.

> What I get is my formula.eps displayed  upside-down at the bottom of the
>page.

This is going to be a problem if you are editing other PostScript
files, rather than your own. You cannot predict the current
transformation matrix (CTM), so it can be at any scale, rotation, or
transformation.

In general you can't just dump stuff in without analysis of the CTM
and other aspects of the file, but adding "initmatrix" to your
prologue can help.

Quote:

> I also  hoped to be able to set the position of the eps figure by editing the
>eps file like this:

>BEFORE:
>%%BoundingBox  178 610 433 642

>AFTER:
>%%BoundingBox  20 610 270 642

> But nothing happens....

These are just comments. You use the translate, and possibly the
scale, operator in your prologue.

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:17:37 GMT

1. Multiple inclusion of EPS file in single EPS file

2. ps to eps for inclusion in LaTex

3. Help needed with inclusion of EPS file

4. psfig and inclusion of EPS file from MAC

5. extract a ps or eps graphics file from a compiled ps file

6. EPS format of documents for inclusion in Word 6

7. newbie PS --> EPS

8. Newbie: PS and EPS?

9. urgent newbie question: converting EPS to PS

10. Newbie: diff between ps and eps

11. Mac PS inclusion in Latex doc.

12. newbie: embedding eps inside eps