Conversion PostScript-to-Ascii from a scanner generated file
Author Message
 Conversion PostScript-to-Ascii from a scanner generated file

Here at our institute we bought a scanner (DEC-Image mod MD30C and we are running ULTRIX RISC) which outputs in DDIF and postscript format. Our problem is the following: we would like to translate the scanned image of some text in an ASCII (text) file. The PostScript file generated by the scanner is an image type, so the programs PS2ASCII and PS2TXT are of not use. Is there a way to convert the "image" PostScript file of a text in a "text" PostScript file?

Thank you, Mauro
--
  +--------+    Mauro Orlandini      |   - What's a comet?
  ||\    /||    TESRE Institute      |   - A star with a tail!
  || \  / ||  Consiglio Nazionale    |   - Right! Name one!
  ||  \/  ||     delle Ricerche      |   - Rin Tin Tin !
  +--------+    Bologna - Italy      |              Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy
Telephone: [39] (0)51 287 022                            FAX: [39] (0)51 229 702
Internet:                                                       SPAN:

Mon, 26 Feb 1996 23:11:21 GMT
 Conversion PostScript-to-Ascii from a scanner generated file

Hello,
to convert the scanned textes into ASCII, there's a DEC-product named
DEC character recognition software available.
Check out the product list or ask your dec representive.
If public domain software works with the dec-image format is unknown to
me.
Hope that helps.
BTW. I don't run this product, so I don't know anything about it's performance

--
                Mathias Gaertner
                Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics

Wed, 28 Feb 1996 00:21:12 GMT
 Conversion PostScript-to-Ascii from a scanner generated file

Quote:
> Here at our institute we bought a scanner (DEC-Image mod MD30C and we
> are running ULTRIX RISC) which outputs in DDIF and PostScript format.
> Our problem is the following: we would like to translate the scanned
> image of some text in an ASCII (text) file. The PostScript file
> generated by the scanner is an image type, so the programs PS2ASCII and
> PS2TXT are of not use. Is there a way to convert the "image" PostScript
> file of a text in a "text" PostScript file?

What you need is an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program of some
sort.  I do not know if anything exists to read the POstScript bitmap,
but the DDIF format should be readable by some relatively cheap OCR
software that is available (for PC's anyway). You might ask at your
local computer store.

| Syed Zaeem Hosain          P. O. Box 610097            (408) 441-7021 |

Thu, 29 Feb 1996 09:32:52 GMT

1. Illustrator grouping in custom-generated PostScript? / Font conversion

2. I need an ASCII to Postscript conversion filter

3. Ascii to PostScript conversion

4. Postscript conversion to ascii

5. Postscript TO Ascii conversion ?

6. postscript -> ascii conversion

7. Postscript to ascii conversion

8. Mac to ASCII-Postscript conversion: HOW?

9. strange problem with a unicode to ascii file conversion

10. How can I convert a ascii file to a postscript file

11. js file causes the virus scanner to alert for viruses

12. Conversion of EPS or TIFF Files Into Postscript Files