HP LJ 4M JetDirect Cards Question
Author Message
 HP LJ 4M JetDirect Cards Question

I've been considering getting a JetDirect EtherNet card for my LJ 4M printer so
I can use thin ethernet for Unix work and leave the parallel and serial
interfaces for PC and MAC needs, since I do the bulk of my printing from Unix.
When I called a local store to check on card prices, they said that the J2340A
TCP/IP EtherNet (Unix) card was no longer available, and that the J2372A card
was what I'd need.  Supposedly, this new card supports multiple network
protocols on the ethernet.

Has anyone actually seen this new card, or can confirm it really can handle
multiple protocols?  Anyone know of any inexpensive sources for either the
older J2340A card or the new one?  Thanks.

                Leonard

Tue, 19 Mar 1996 10:49:52 GMT
 HP LJ 4M JetDirect Cards Question

Quote:
>I've been considering getting a JetDirect EtherNet card for my LJ 4M printer so
>I can use thin ethernet for Unix work and leave the parallel and serial
>interfaces for PC and MAC needs, since I do the bulk of my printing from Unix.
>When I called a local store to check on card prices, they said that the J2340A
>TCP/IP EtherNet (Unix) card was no longer available, and that the J2372A card
>was what I'd need.  Supposedly, this new card supports multiple network
>protocols on the ethernet.
>Has anyone actually seen this new card, or can confirm it really can handle
>multiple protocols?  Anyone know of any inexpensive sources for either the
>older J2340A card or the new one?  Thanks.
>            Leonard

The new jet-direct card for the LaserJet 4M supports all of the previous
functionality of the previous line of cards, on one card. One thing though,
the 4M only has the ability to support one communication protocol on that
card at a time. To switch protocols, the printer must be restarted and re-
configured. On the 4si, the same card supports multiple protocols simultaneously
without having to be reconfigured. If you want multiple protocols simultaneously
other vendors, such as Extended Systems, make cards for the 4M that can do this.
As far as I know, they do not support TCP/IP as one of the protocols.

 University of Minnesota
 Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics

Fri, 22 Mar 1996 22:15:53 GMT
 HP LJ 4M JetDirect Cards Question

   without having to be reconfigured. If you want multiple protocols simultaneously
   other vendors, such as Extended Systems, make cards for the 4M that can do this.
  As far as I know, they do not support TCP/IP as one of the protocols.

Emulex makes a card that does Netware, EtherTalk, TCP/IP and LAT. I didn't use it
though.

                        Reactor Division (bldg. 235), E111
                        Gaithersburg, MD 20899,      USA

                        (301) 975 6249 tel
                        (301) 921 9847 fax

Sat, 23 Mar 1996 01:16:07 GMT

1. Q: Bug in HP LJ 4M?

2. HP LJ 4M

3. Duplex on HP LJ 4M+ (AGAIN)

4. Turning off RET for HP LJ 4m

5. Macintosh PPD file for HP LJ 4M wanted

6. HP LJ 4M printer specific PostScript features.

7. Adobe Transcript, VAX Ultrix 4.3 and HP LJ-4M

8. HP LJ 4M specific cmds

9. Can't print out Adobe type 1 fonts on HP LJ 4M

10. HP 4M and 4Si Postscript Bug: HP response

11. Yo! HP (HP LaserJet 4M SIMM bug)

12. Bug in LJ-4M PS-processor -- Verified