Error on creating PDF with PS
Author Message
 Error on creating PDF with PS

I am trying to create a PDF from a PS created from a Pagemaker file.
I create the pS fine but when I distill it I get this:

%%[ Error: stackunderflow; OffendingCommand: exch ]%%

Stack:

/BitsPerComponent

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: postscript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

What is this and why does it happen.  I never had problems before.
Does distiller have a hard time recognizing masks?  Because there are
masks used in the file. I used them before and it was fine.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:11:38 GMT
 Error on creating PDF with PS

Quote:
> %%[ Error: stackunderflow; OffendingCommand: exch ]%%

> Stack:

> /BitsPerComponent

> %%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

> %%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

> What is this and why does it happen.

Its an error, it happens because your PostScript is (apparently) broken.

In this case, the 'exch' operator tries to exchange the order of the top
two operands on the operand stack. The 'stackunderflow' error means that
there weren't two operands on the stack.

The stack dump tells you that the (one and only) operand was
/BitsPerComponent, which is one of the image operand dictionary
parameters.

Quote:
>  I never had problems before.
> Does distiller have a hard time recognizing masks?  Because there are
> masks used in the file. I used them before and it was fine.  Any help
> would be appreciated.

There is insufficient information, all I can tell you is that the
PostScript file is broken, which you already knew.

You could try recreating the PostScript file, you could also try simply
printing to Distiller from PageMaker, which might work better.

                                Ken

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:42:34 GMT
 Error on creating PDF with PS

Quote:
> I am trying to create a PDF from a PS created from a Pagemaker file.
> I create the pS fine but when I distill it I get this:

> %%[ Error: stackunderflow; OffendingCommand: exch ]%%

> Stack:

> /BitsPerComponent

> %%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

> %%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

I got this exact same error today w/same offending command and stack
position. I had a 4 page newsletter to print. I opened all the graphics
in the job and resaved them, overwriting the originals. All the graphics
which had been saved in eps format had the encoding set to jpeg rather
than binary. I changed them to binary. I think that was the problem,
although I can't be sure.

The new PS file distilled fine.

RJay

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 05:56:24 GMT

1. Creating PDF from PS with GS6.50

2. Tools for creating watermark on pdf/ps

3. PS to PDF produces error invalid font/no pages

4. converting pdf into 2up pdf/ps using Ghostscript

5. GS PS to PDF: images in QMS PS won't compress

6. Compatibility of WIN95 created PS-Files with LATEX PS-Tools

7. creating dynamic pdf using VBScript?

8. Not embedding fonts in PDF created with ghostscript

9. Creating pdf - files with ghostview

10. Create a PDF Writter

11. INFO WTD: How to create PDF???!

12. GSView Created PDF's Crash Acrobat Reader