generating 'page independent' ps
Author Message
 generating 'page independent' ps

hello all,

i'm using adobe's PS windows driver to generate PS output which is
converted by ghostscript and sent to a printer.

problem is that i think the output is 'page dependent' and this causes
ghostscript to barf. using an 'apple laserwriter' driver with 'page
independence' set to false does the same, while setting it to true works
fine.

can a fix ghostscript or adobe ps so that the postscript they exchange
is compatible?

(please reply via e-mail)

graeme

Graeme Pyle                                Computer Science Department

Tel: +27-12-420-3617                       Pretoria
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~gpyle              South Africa

Sat, 07 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 generating 'page independent' ps
Quote:

> hello all,

> i'm using adobe's PS windows driver to generate PS output which is
> converted by ghostscript and sent to a printer.

> problem is that i think the output is 'page dependent' and this causes
> ghostscript to barf. using an 'apple laserwriter' driver with 'page
> independence' set to false does the same, while setting it to true works
> fine.

> can a fix ghostscript or adobe ps so that the postscript they exchange
> is compatible?

Try to select the postscript submenu in your printer driver's setup box,
uncheck
"optimize for speed" but check "portable" or "archive format".
It should work then, at least if you don't select individual pages or
reverse
the page order etc.
Note: there are applications that PER SE produce page dependent output
(e.g.
QuarkXpress).

Helge
--

Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 generating 'page independent' ps

Quote:

> > hello all,

> > i'm using adobe's PS windows driver to generate PS output which is
> > converted by ghostscript and sent to a printer.

> > problem is that i think the output is 'page dependent' and this causes
> > ghostscript to barf. using an 'apple laserwriter' driver with 'page
> > independence' set to false does the same, while setting it to true works
> > fine.

> > can a fix ghostscript or adobe ps so that the postscript they exchange
> > is compatible?

> Try to select the postscript submenu in your printer driver's setup box,
> uncheck
> "optimize for speed" but check "portable" or "archive format".
> It should work then, at least if you don't select individual pages or
> reverse
> the page order etc.
> Note: there are applications that PER SE produce page dependent output
> (e.g.
> QuarkXpress).

And DVIPSONE in the Y&Y TeX system :-)  This requires scanning the
job twice, once to extract the resources needed, which are then
prepended, the second time to actually generate the PS.  Most
Windows applications pump the PS output as the go (so there is no
need to store anything or run through the job twice) and hence will
have to insert resources (like fonts and procsets) where they
are first called for).  Some recent Mac drivers can do this also.

--

Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. how do I display a 'page loading...'- image while actual page is loading

2. Fix ps files (gv can't go to the previous pages)

3. PS Doesn't Print Blank Pages?

4. Can''t paging - HELP !!!

5. Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0126'

6. Printing 'behind' a page

7. Looking for free PS output filter that uses PDF's and DSC's

8. Help with 'ps', how to print postscript centered on A3

9. 'Biohazard' sign in PS

10. GS 3.51, running 'someGS_LIB_DEFAULTfile.ps' [Q]

11. 'inverting' PS files

12. looking for 'Manuscript' PS prolog