UNIX driver for HP LaserJet III with Postscript Cartridge Plus
Author Message
 UNIX driver for HP LaserJet III with Postscript Cartridge Plus

Well I got the upgrade, and not surprizingly it comes with drivers for
Windows and DOS and nothing for UNIX or an explanation of how it
works.  I read the batch files and see that it sends a file that is
just full of NULs to the printer to change from PS to PCL and back.  I
do not have a good feeling about this - if the printer needs n seconds
to change mode I would much rather do a sleep.

I sent away the card for the Technical something manual, but has
someone already written a program to run the printer from UNIX?
Something that drops right into System V lp would be great, but
anything will do, even if it's standalone or for lpd.

thanks

--
/|/-\\/-\\       The entire kitchen             Jerusalem
 |__/__/_/     is a very bitter ***.

/ nysernet.org is worried.

Tue, 25 Oct 1994 05:08:04 GMT
 UNIX driver for HP LaserJet III with Postscript Cartridge Plus

Quote:

>Well I got the upgrade, and not surprizingly it comes with drivers for
>Windows and DOS and nothing for UNIX or an explanation of how it
>works.  I read the batch files and see that it sends a file that is
>just full of NULs to the printer to change from PS to PCL and back.  I

This isn't quite the whole story; see below.

Quote:
>do not have a good feeling about this - if the printer needs n seconds
>to change mode I would much rather do a sleep.

>I sent away the card for the Technical something manual, but has

Well, so did I, and was sent back a card saying that they were out of
stock.  I'm still waiting (1 month now).

Quote:
>someone already written a program to run the printer from UNIX?
>Something that drops right into System V lp would be great, but
>anything will do, even if it's standalone or for lpd.

Under Dell SVR4, I modified the postscript interface so that it
automatically append a \004 to the end of the file to be printed.
THis way, I can send file which don't have the \004.  But that doesn't
answer your question :-).

I created a printer which I call 'pcl' (!).  The interface for this
one has been modified to switch the printer from ps to pcl before
printing the document, and to switch back to ps after having printed
it.  It assumes that the printer is in ps initially.  THis was
accomplished by copying the two "magic" files which HP provides on one
of the disks, to the printer before and after sending the file to be
printed.  Note that these files are not just a bunch of nulls.
The pcl manual makes a vague (to my mind) reference on how to switch
w/o using these "magic" files, and I would imagine that the ps manual
will have more to say on this topic.

It works.

Bruno.
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

McGill Research Centre for Intelligent Machines - Controls Group
New systems generate new problems -- Join the Flat Earth Society.

Wed, 26 Oct 1994 11:56:47 GMT
 UNIX driver for HP LaserJet III with Postscript Cartridge Plus

Quote:

>Under Dell SVR4, I modified the postscript interface so that it
>automatically append a \004 to the end of the file to be printed.
>THis way, I can send file which don't have the \004.  But that doesn't
>answer your question :-).

I did the same using printcap under SunOS (tr= from memory)... however,
since receiving the new card I instead use the output filter entry (of)
to start a script that determines if the first two characters are %!.
If so, PostScript is assumed and the file copied verbatim. Otherwise,
I print the first magic file, then copy the output, then print the
second magic file. This saves having the rest of our team having to
remember to redirect their output.

Where is this magic documented?

Earl
--
Earl Chew,   Dept of Computer Science,   Monash University 3168,   Australia

Sat, 29 Oct 1994 19:01:18 GMT
 UNIX driver for HP LaserJet III with Postscript Cartridge Plus

Quote:

>[ stuff about soft-switching omitted ]

>Where is this magic documented?

Ah, the $64,000 question.  There is some mention of this magic in the
PCL Technical Reference Manual, but it's geared for fiddling around
with PCL font cartridges.  My best guess is that it'll be (properly)
documented in the PS Technical Reference Manual.  *If* it ever
arrives.  Has anyone received it yet?

Bruno

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

McGill Research Centre for Intelligent Machines - Controls Group
New systems generate new problems -- Join the Flat Earth Society.

Sun, 30 Oct 1994 10:36:53 GMT
 UNIX driver for HP LaserJet III with Postscript Cartridge Plus

< deletet >

|> Where is this magic documented?

If you're refering to the PS/PCL software switching then:

The PostScript Cartridge Plus Tech Ref, appendix A, Page A-1

switch to PCL:

switch to PostScript:

NOTE: <9K nulls> represents 9216 bytes of hex value 00
      <100 nulls> represents 100 bytes of hex value 00
      <LF> represents a byte with hex value 0A
      <ESC> represents a byte with hex value 1B

Mon, 31 Oct 1994 02:38:39 GMT

1. HP LaserJet III cartridge upgrade - info needed

2. HP's PostScript Cartridge for HP LJ III

3. PostScript level II cartridges for LaserJet III?

4. Wanted: recommendation for LaserJet III postscript cartridge.

5. PostScript Cartridge for LaserJet III

6. HP III PostScript Cartridge

7. Postscript bug in HP LJ III cartridge?

8. PostScript to HP LaserJet 4m Plus

9. HP LaserJet 3 Postscript Cartridge

10. WTB: PostScript cartridge or I/O board for HP LaserJet IID

11. Names of fonts for HP LaserJet PostScript cartridge

12. Postscript Cartridges for the HP Laserjet IIP