PS Reference Manuals (off topic really)
Author Message
 PS Reference Manuals (off topic really)

Hi all,

I just read the thread about the new postscript Language Reference
becoming available.  I've only just entered the mysterious world of
postscript programming and have used the first edition (in 3 volumes)
and second edition (for DCS and EPS) in learning what I need.  Is it
just me, or does anyone else prefer smaller books and more of them?  I
found it loads easier to skip around between the three hardback volumes of
the first edition than the huge paperback of the 2nd.

Well, there we go.  Got that off my chest...

Steve-o

--
Steve Carter, York, UK.

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PS Reference Manuals (off topic really)

Quote:

> I just read the thread about the new Postscript Language Reference
> becoming available.  I've only just entered the mysterious world of
> postscript programming and have used the first edition (in 3 volumes)
> and second edition (for DCS and EPS) in learning what I need.  Is it
> just me, or does anyone else prefer smaller books and more of them?  I
> found it loads easier to skip around between the three hardback volumes of
> the first edition than the huge paperback of the 2nd.

I don't so much mind either approach as long as the info in the manuals is
*good*. Unfortunately, the PS Reference Manuals seem to assume you already
know about all the obscure functionality of PostScript when describing
something to you. And they have the {*filter*} habit of supplying the syntax,
and a brief description of the operators, but not giving an example, or
giving a poor example. I guess what I'm saying is I would like a manual
that spells it out more.

Darrin

--
Darrin Cardani

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PS Reference Manuals (off topic really)

Quote:

> The reference manual has one job it MUST do - completely defining
> PostScript, and that must not be weakened. The manual is enough to
> completely implement a PostScript interpreter (after following a few
> specific references).  It makes no assumptions at all, though in any
> one part of the manual it may assume that you have read another later
> part - that is the nature of reference manuals, they are not designed
> to be read in order.

> There have been many books to learn PostScript over the years. It is a
> pity so few are in print.

Indeed!  And one reason is perhaps that people want it for free, and instantly.
PostScript is non-trivial and a good book can be very helpful.  And the person
or persons putting in the months of work needed to write such a book should
be amply rewarded by readers going out and buying their books.

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PS Reference Manuals (off topic really)

Quote:

> There have been many books to learn PostScript over the years. It is a
> pity so few are in print.

But Glenn Reid's Thinking in PostScript is available free as a PDF file.
I don't remember the URL, but I'd think a web search would turn it up.
It's a good book.

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PS Reference Manuals (off topic really)

Quote:

> > There have been many books to learn PostScript over the years. It is a
> > pity so few are in print.

> But Glenn Reid's Thinking in PostScript is available free as a PDF file.
> I don't remember the URL, but I'd think a web search would turn it up.
> It's a good book.

It's available at <http://www.rightbrain.com/rightbrain.shtml>. Click on
the "Books" link. Personally, I didn't like it that much. It didn't seem to
answer the questions I had at the time, and it made incredibly bizzare
statements like "there are many good debugging tools for PostScript". I'm
not sure what planet he programs on, but I'd love to see these debugging
tools.

Darrin

--
Darrin Cardani

Mon, 27 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Off Topic---programming contract

2. hide an image - off topic ??

3. OFF-TOPIC: Microsoft buys the Catholic Church

4. Off topic

5. Off topic: Windiff/.VBS - Please help

6. Stuck! [off-topic]

7. MS Calendar - off topic

8. Counting lines of code? (A bit off topic)

9. off topic... how to write .inf that works

10. OFF-TOPIC: Microsoft buys the Catholic Church

11. (off topic) IE5 default save file type

12. just curious - slightly off-topic