gs3.51 problem with FreeHand EPS in Frame doc
Author Message
 gs3.51 problem with FreeHand EPS in Frame doc

When I export an EPS image from FreeHand 5.0 on the Macintosh,
convert the image to EPSI using Frame's EPSF-EPSI converter,
import the image to a FrameMaker document on the Macintosh,
create a postscript file (still on the Macintosh), transfer the
PS file to a Sun workstation, and display the PS file using
ghostscript 3.51, I get the following bad behavior:

1)  If the FreeHand image is on the first page of the file, the
page displays correctly.

2)  If I then redisplay the same page, gs3.51 draws the page,
including the image, but erases it as soon as the drawing is
complete.

3)  If the FreeHand image is not on the first page that is
displayed, gs3.51 always erases the page with the image as
soon as it is finished drawing the page on the screen.

The same behavior occurs if I transfer the Frame document to
the Sun workstation and produce the PostScript file using the
Unix version of FrameMaker.

I have tried EPS images from another source (not FreeHand) and
get correct behavior (i.e., page stays on screen) with gs3.51.

If I use gs3.33 for display, I get correct display of the image
provided that I created the final PostScript file with
FrameMaker on the Macintosh.  If I created it with FrameMaker
on Unix, gs3.33 gives the error

  PostScript Lang. Ref. Man., 2nd Ed., H.2.4 says EPS
  must not call setglobal

This error occurs even if the source of the EPS image was not
FreeHand. It appears to be a response of error-checking code
generated by the Unix version of FrameMaker to a setglobal
command generated by gs3.33 in displaying the EPS image (but
I don't know how to determine where or why the setglobal is
generated).

The erasure of the page by gs3.51 and the setglobal error in
gs3.33 appear to be distinct problems.  I'd be happy to get a
solution to either of them.

I'll send the troublesome PostScript files on request.  They
are kinda big to send to the whole newsgroup.

Dick Zacher
Tandem Computers

Sun, 05 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 gs3.51 problem with FreeHand EPS in Frame doc

 > When I export an EPS image from FreeHand 5.0 on the Macintosh,
 > convert the image to EPSI using Frame's EPSF-EPSI converter,
 > import the image to a FrameMaker document on the Macintosh,
 > create a PostScript file (still on the Macintosh), transfer the
 > PS file to a Sun workstation, and display the PS file using
 > ghostscript 3.51, I get the following bad behavior:
 >
 > 1)  If the FreeHand image is on the first page of the file, the
 > page displays correctly.
 >
 > 2)  If I then redisplay the same page, gs3.51 draws the page,
 > including the image, but erases it as soon as the drawing is
 > complete.
 >
 > 3)  If the FreeHand image is not on the first page that is
 > displayed, gs3.51 always erases the page with the image as
 > soon as it is finished drawing the page on the screen.
 >
 > The same behavior occurs if I transfer the Frame document to
 > the Sun workstation and produce the PostScript file using the
 > Unix version of FrameMaker.
 >
 > I have tried EPS images from another source (not FreeHand) and
 > get correct behavior (i.e., page stays on screen) with gs3.51.
 >
 > If I use gs3.33 for display, I get correct display of the image
 > provided that I created the final PostScript file with
 > FrameMaker on the Macintosh.  If I created it with FrameMaker
 > on Unix, gs3.33 gives the error
 >
 >   PostScript Lang. Ref. Man., 2nd Ed., H.2.4 says EPS
 >   must not call setglobal
 >
 > This error occurs even if the source of the EPS image was not
 > FreeHand. It appears to be a response of error-checking code
 > generated by the Unix version of FrameMaker to a setglobal
 > command generated by gs3.33 in displaying the EPS image (but
 > I don't know how to determine where or why the setglobal is
 > generated).
 >
 > The erasure of the page by gs3.51 and the setglobal error in
 > gs3.33 appear to be distinct problems.  I'd be happy to get a
 > solution to either of them.
 >
 > I'll send the troublesome PostScript files on request.  They
 > are kinda big to send to the whole newsgroup.
 >
 >{*filter*} Zacher
 > Tandem Computers

Could be something wrong in the EPS file, e.g. a (forbidden!) page size
definition?

"setglobal" was a gs3.33 "feature", it was called by gs itself in some
(text-related?) situation. Nothing (necessarily) wrong with the Frame job.

You may email me one of the files, if you like, or put them to a ftp server.

Olle
--

  +358 0 5255 8556 (voice)              +358 0 5255 8585 (fax)
  Check out http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problems with gs3.51 and Frame 5.0...

2. Displaying GS3.51 EPS file in MS Word 6

3. aladdin gs3.51 postscript to paintjet problems

4. GS3.51+GSVW132B Problem

5. Problem Compiling gs3.51 with MSVC 2.0

6. Problem with ps2epsi and gs3.51

7. Problems with gs3.51 pdf2ps

8. Problem with GS3.51 pdf->ps

9. Mosaic v2.0.0fb + GS3.51 - Problem

10. GS3.51 - Windows NT Functionality question

11. GS3.51 Print with HP Deskjet

12. gs3.51: ccfontab.c missing?