Where is the Ghostscript support?
Author Message
 Where is the Ghostscript support?

I am really getting tired of viewing all of these ghostscript related
problems. They really do have nothing to do with the purpose of this
newsgroup. This is the comp.lang.postscript newsgroup, thus threads
should contain discussions about postscript as a programming language.
 Is there no support site that users of this software can go to get
help?

Fri, 05 Mar 2004 05:12:42 GMT
 Where is the Ghostscript support?
Dunkie,

There are the discussion forums at sourcefourge, but they seem to be pretty
slow moving - I don't like your chances of moving Ghostscript discussion
elsewhere.

Perhaps if we agree to us GS: as a subject prefix for all
ghostscript-related matters? At least they could be easily filtered then.

Tom B.

Quote:

>I am really getting tired of viewing all of these ghostscript related
>problems. They really do have nothing to do with the purpose of this
>newsgroup. This is the comp.lang.postscript newsgroup, thus threads
>should contain discussions about postscript as a programming language.
> Is there no support site that users of this software can go to get
>help?

Fri, 05 Mar 2004 06:32:06 GMT
 Where is the Ghostscript support?

Quote:
>  I am really getting tired of viewing all of these ghostscript related
>  problems.

Maybe you should write better documentation for them. The
existing documentation pretty much sucks rocks, although the
program works very well.

--
Dave Blake

Fri, 05 Mar 2004 06:21:19 GMT
 Where is the Ghostscript support?
Hi Dunkie

I must confess that, although GhostScript
is a great tool (I use PSAlter, though), I feel
the same way you do. However, it would be
a real shame if this newsgroup became as hostile
as comp.lang.c seems to be (toward anything
"perceived" to be "off topic").

Are there any newsgroups dedicated
to GhostScript? If not, why? Surely such a
hugely popular free program deserves a proper
"support home"?

There's probably some money
to be made for someone willing to write
and publish some >>*affordable*<< books.
Although the first book would have to be
an encyclopaedia covering configuration and
command-line options ;-).

Regards

Graham

Fri, 05 Mar 2004 20:09:04 GMT
 Where is the Ghostscript support?
Dunkie

First of all if i did not use GhostScript i would have no need of
postscript. That said GhostScript is after all a postscript compiler so
it would seem this is the right place for questions on task/programs in
postscript compiled under GhostScript.

Jeff McDonald

Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:12:02 GMT
 Where is the Ghostscript support?

Quote:
>  There's probably some money to be made for someone willing to
>  write and publish some >>*affordable*<< books. Although the
>  first book would have to be an encyclopaedia covering
>  configuration and command-line options ;-).

I think the reason the documentation is so poor wrt this
newsgroup is that most of the things that come up are actually
ps to pdf conversion problems, and they are solved by pointing
out the compatible distiller options (which ghostscript uses in
the same way distiller does).

Distiller already has documentation.

A nice GUI that allowed one to set all the distiller options
would be cool, though.

--
Dave Blake

Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:51:59 GMT
 Where is the Ghostscript support?

Quote:
> First of all if i did not use GhostScript i would have no need of
> postscript.

I program in postscript (as well as many other languages) and have
never required GhostScript. But that is not my point here -- nor is it
my intention for this be be taken as a hostile comment.   I try to
read most of the posts  and with limited time lately, I only wish that
they would stay on topic.  Whomever has developed the software should
offer their own support site should they not?

Sat, 06 Mar 2004 02:01:15 GMT
 Where is the Ghostscript support?

Quote:
>I am really getting tired of viewing all of these ghostscript related
>problems. They really do have nothing to do with the purpose of this
>newsgroup. This is the comp.lang.postscript newsgroup, thus threads
>should contain discussions about postscript as a programming language.
> Is there no support site that users of this software can go to get
>help?

From the Ghostscript FAQ, http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/faq.htm#usenet

"Which USENET newsgroups are relevant to Ghostscript?

Discussion about AFPL Ghostscript and GSview can be found in the USENET
newsgroup comp.lang.postscript

Discussion about GNU Ghostscript and Ghostview can be found in the USENET
newsgroup gnu.ghostscript.bug "

Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:47:59 GMT
 Where is the Ghostscript support?

Quote:

>>I am really getting tired of viewing all of these ghostscript related
>>problems. They really do have nothing to do with the purpose of this
>>newsgroup. This is the comp.lang.postscript newsgroup, thus threads
>>should contain discussions about postscript as a programming language.
>> Is there no support site that users of this software can go to get
>>help?

Ghostscript has a developer's site at SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghostscript/

SourceForge also has two discussion forums for Ghostscript users:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=1897

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:02:47 GMT

1. ghostscript 8 support for CID fonts?

2. Lexmark support in Ghostscript 6.0

3. Does GhostScript support ECP?

4. Ghostscript 5.50 binary for Win32 including level 3 support

5. Does Ghostscript support Epson Stylus C70?

6. comp.ghostscript.support

7. HPA support in ghostscript

8. memory input support in Ghostscript - when?

9. Pantone Color support in Ghostscript

10. ghostscript printer support

11. Support in GhostScript/GSview for A3 printers

12. Plotter support for GhostScript