Same problem: How to open .ps text files on Mac
Author Message
 Same problem: How to open .ps text files on Mac

After importing a .ps file I can't find a way (so far)
to access it (Application not found). What kind of application
do I need? Where can I find it?
My Mac is a Quadra 840 AV.

Wed, 05 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Same problem: How to open .ps text files on Mac

Quote:

> After importing a .ps file I can't find a way (so far)
> to access it (Application not found). What kind of application
> do I need? Where can I find it?
> My Mac is a Quadra 840 AV.

You shouldn't double-click the file; you should open it as a text file
from within your text processor; very often, even SimpleText is sufficient
to edit
a PS file
Marc

Thu, 06 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Same problem: How to open .ps text files on Mac

Quote:
>? even SimpleText is sufficient to edit a PS file

An afterthought
SimpleText is sufficient to edit small PS files (32K limit).
I use the editor Alpha 6.04 (written by Pete Keleher) which colors most
of the command words and offers the facility to print a PS file
as PS (not as text) by sending it via AppleEvents to DropPS.

mc and fp

Fri, 07 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Same problem: How to open .ps text files on Mac

Quote:

> After importing a .ps file I can't find a way (so far)
> to access it (Application not found). What kind of application
> do I need? Where can I find it?
> My Mac is a Quadra 840 AV.

Roland,
      I haven't figured this one out either...but keep tryin'.   It's
probably something really somple.

     One of the fellas who left the company found a way to get a ps on the
screen, which seemed to work, but I didn't need it at the time and now I
can't reproduce it.  As best as I can remember...it was loading the file
into Canvas and then setting the foreground color to black...then possibly
re-saving it.
     I wonder what the scrapbook says if you save it there...hmmm.  I
haven't tried this yet.
     The other common problem I have is that Word (5.1) balks with an
"illegal character" in some PS files, so I don't even get the dreaded X'ed
out box.

     I have had to transfer files over to a Unix Guru and have him print
them.

     There is a Mac freeware called "DropOff€PS" which is available on the
net which at least allows you to print them to a PS printer.  Try the
following places

Regards

UA SOFT / mac/print
      mac/print. dropps1.13.sit.hqx [42 Kb] Download postscript files to any
      PostScript printer connected to the AppleTalk network. Requires System 7.
      duplexhelperz1.0d3.sit.hqx [13 Kb] A printing extension for use with
      QuickDraw GX, to make it easier to print...
      http://ftp.ua.pt/mac/print/index.html - size 12K - 9 Dec 95

/mac/util/print/
      mac/util/print. Printing utilities ... hey, I thought we were moving to a
      paperless society! The format used below is (roughly) as follows:Name of
      package (with extensions).Size(Kb) Date Compression Format(s).Short
      description of the package....
      http://ubu.hahnemann.edu/UBUdex/print.html - size 13K - 8 Dec 95

--
I know everything except how to be humble...and if there's a contest for the longest signature that I have yet to hear about.

Fri, 07 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Same problem: How to open .ps text files on Mac
The PS files on the mac are created by the chooser and driver, along with
the application itself.  They can be read by opening them in simpletext if
they are small, or with BBedit (and probably Alpha as well).
     -- Burton

Sat, 08 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. problem: printing ps file and ps to text problem

2. Problems printing Mac PM PS files on a PC

3. Problems with ps files: Win --> Mac

4. Problem printing ps file created on Mac.

5. Problem with Mac ps file in Latex

6. sample code needed to open plain text file and use as excel97 file

7. PS Rip for Mac Needed (Comp proofs of sep'd PS files)

8. mac ps-file to ethernet ps-printer ?

9. using Mac GS to read ps text received in email

10. How to open .ps text files on a Mac?

11. Problem merging multiple single page ps files into one multipage ps file

12. Postscript text files to Mac Postscript resource?