How to reset the #-of-copies-made counter
Author Message
 How to reset the #-of-copies-made counter

Does someone know what systemdict command resets the NVRAM on the AppleLaser,
or in particular the page count number, printed at the frontpage after reset.

Thanks in advance,

Jos van Wezel

Sun, 12 Jul 1992 23:08:55 GMT
 How to reset the #-of-copies-made counter
Woody and Amanda:  don't oneupsmanship yourselves into
answering that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Civilized people everwhere would be mighty angry to buy a used
car with a gimmicked odometer or a used laserwriter with a gimmicked
page counter!

--
Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research

Columbus, OH 43210                        Fax/Phone: (614) 292-4890

Mon, 13 Jul 1992 10:19:31 GMT
 How to reset the #-of-copies-made counter

Quote:
> Does someone know what systemdict command resets the NVRAM on the AppleLaser,
> or in particular the page count number, printed at the frontpage after reset.

> Thanks in advance,

> Jos van Wezel

There is no systemdict command to do that.  Like copiers, lasers have the
counter for a reason.  It is illegal to reset copier counters, and probably
laser counters as well, just as it is to reset odometers on cars.  However,
the counter is held in eeprom or battery backed ram.  When ever I have sent
the controller board back to the factory, it has come back with a new counter
value, usually of 0.  The legitimate useage for this might be to keep
track of useage per site, if
lasers are moved around.  But you would be far better served, either reading
the counter, or manually recording the info.  Since it is stored in EEPROM
or bb ram, there is a way to reset it, but I'm not going to post it due to
ethics.

Cheers
Woody

Mon, 13 Jul 1992 21:24:55 GMT

1. outline print

2. Postscript to reset internal page counter ?

3. Making My Old ASP Counter Code To Work With UDEV

4. Delphi 2 with Paradox or Access

5. SWAG Archive Inactivity

6. Parsing strings, str>numbers etc, FAQs

7. Ghostscript BUG: making copy of systemdict

8. WSH that makes a url file Makes BlueDragon.url

9. Need copy of Adobe Illustrator, and copy of Aladdin Ghostscript v5.10 compiled with ttfont

10. --- copying a PostSctipt file with the DOS COPY command

11. Endless copies printed from printing a single copy