Apple LaserWriter printcap?
Author Message
 Apple LaserWriter printcap?

I have an original Apple LaserWriter (not a Plus),
version 23.0.  I am trying
to set up a printcap entry for Linux (Slackware 3.2) running
LPRng 3.1.2.  For a short file
        cat foo.ps > /dev/ttyS2
works.  I can also talk to the printer in interactive mode
with kermit.  But files get truncated--a 2 page file to 1
page, an 11 page file to 9 pages.
Ken Yap provided me with a patch posted by Ed Taft of
Adobe in 1986, which I have applied, but which has not helped.

As suggested in the Linux Printing_HOWTO, I have extended
the closing wait time for the serial port.  It was 0.5s,
and is now 100s.  No help.  setserial -a -g /dev/ttyS2 returns:
/dev/ttyS2, Line 2, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 5
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 10000, divisor: 0
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test

Here is the printcap entry as it now stands:
apple|Apple LaserWriter postscript:\
        :lp=/dev/ttyS2:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/apple:\
        :br#9600:\
        :ty=-parenb -parodd cs8 hupcl -cstopb cread clocal -crtscts
         -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr
         icrnl ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel opost -olcuc -ocrnl
         onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
         isig icanon iexten -echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase
         -tostop -echoprt echoctl echoke:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lpderrs.apple:\
        :if=/usr/spool/lpd/apple/input_filter:sh:sf

(I've broken the single line ty entry here.)

A printcap, or any ideas, would be appreciated.

--
Chris Evans

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Apple LaserWriter printcap?

Quote:
>I have an original Apple LaserWriter (not a Plus),
>version 23.0.

You can upgrade it to a Plus by simply switching ROMs.  Mine is an original
LaserWriter that's been upgraded (although it had been upgraded when I got
it).

Quote:
>I am trying
>to set up a printcap entry for Linux (Slackware 3.2) running
>LPRng 3.1.2.  For a short file
>    cat foo.ps > /dev/ttyS2
>works.  I can also talk to the printer in interactive mode
>with kermit.  But files get truncated--a 2 page file to 1
>page, an 11 page file to 9 pages.
>Ken Yap provided me with a patch posted by Ed Taft of
>Adobe in 1986, which I have applied, but which has not helped.

I don't know how to read printcaps, but I do know that the LaserWriter
requires Xon/Xoff handshaking.  Is that what you're trying to use?

-----
Marc Wilson
SD Comic Con '97 Volunteer Co-Coordinator

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1148

Sun, 07 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. printcap entry for apple laserwriter to Sun4

2. ... looking for printcap for apple laserwriter (I)

3. Apple Laserwriter Driver 8.3 is broken for Apple Laserwriters

4. Disk drive for Apple LaserWriter II NTX

5. Configuring an Apple LaserWriter for 8-bit postscript

6. Apple postscript to non-apple postscript -- laser-not-apple

7. problems with apple laserwriter

8. Apple LaserWriter II NTX & HP Emulation

9. Printable Area Adjustments On Apple LaserWriter?

10. Printing Envelopes on Apple Laserwriters

11. ditroff to postscript (apple-laserwriter)

12. Apple LaserWriter Select 310: Image area too small?