Binary PS sizes verses ASCII? PS
Author Message
 Binary PS sizes verses ASCII? PS

Some of my color PS files are *hugh* (e.g. 20MB per page).  Can anyone
tell me how much binary PS options saves in file size over non-binary PS?

BTW, sacralige that it is, the PCL driver produces virtually the same
results with print files 5% to 10% the PS file size.

What am I printing you ask?  Thumbnails out of Corel.

Thanks.

Without Change                          *David C. Barber*

Sat, 22 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Binary PS sizes verses ASCII? PS

Quote:
>Some of my color PS files are *hugh* (e.g. 20MB per page).  Can anyone
>tell me how much binary PS options saves in file size over non-binary PS?

At best, binary PS files are around 50% of the size of the
corresponding ASCII file. The trick, of course, is printing them.

Quote:
>BTW, sacralige that it is, the PCL driver produces virtually the same
>results with print files 5% to 10% the PS file size.

Using a printer driver that supports level 2 properly can produce tiny
postscript files. Not from Corel, at present, I think.

Quote:
>What am I printing you ask?  Thumbnails out of Corel.

Corel Mosaic, in the release I used, would send the FULL image to the
printer, to allow it to scale down. All other printers will have to
have the data pre-scaled.  I once printed 6 pages from Mosaic that
took 28 hours. What fun.

Quote:
>Thanks.

Sun, 23 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Binary PS sizes verses ASCII? PS

Quote:
>Some of my color PS files are *hugh* (e.g. 20MB per page).  Can anyone
>tell me how much binary PS options saves in file size over non-binary PS?

Often images are stored with each byte coded in hexadecimal. So the
size of the image would be half, if the image would be stored
binary. There are other options to compress the PostScritp code. I
often use the LZWEncode filter to compress an entire PostScript
job. When printing photographic pictures, the DCTDecode filter is able
to decode jpeg baseline encoded data. These filters can be combined
with the ASCII85Decode filter and the resulting file will be ASCII
again, but often much smaller :-). And prinable only on a level 2
printer :-(.

73, Mario
--

Institut fuer Robotik und Prozessinformatik der TU Braunschweig
Hamburger Strasse 267, 38114 Braunschweig, Germany

Sun, 23 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. ASCII-PS to binary PS

2. Difference Between PS files in ASCII vs Binary format

3. PS chips and ASCII -> PS filters

4. Need ASCII-->PS program (in PS) that does ** TABs **

5. PS->ASCII conversion: a PS solution

6. converting A4 sized PS files to US letter size

7. Need to split D size ps to many letter size sheets

8. Binary Object Sequence encoded PS

9. Any experience with Binary Object Sequence encoded PS?

10. Binary data for PS Printer

11. help with handling ps-docs in either text or binary fomat

12. PS binary files