Trying to get old PS printer working from Windows NT 4.0
Author Message
 Trying to get old PS printer working from Windows NT 4.0

I got my first taste of postscript back in 1988.  I played around with
an Apple LaserWriter printer and was delighted to find I could do
things like interact with the printer through a computer (was a SUN
workstation then) in TTY fashion.  After that I always thought I
wanted to have my own PS printer. Well, quite a few years ago the
company I was working for was throwing out their old LaserWriterIINT
printer and I asked if I could have it.  I had someone fix it up and I
am just getting it working (trying to get a cable for it).  I have
printed lots of things through my old Windows 95 box, and except for
the fact that it is incredibly slow and it makes a lot of stupid fan
noise, it works great.  Now I want to use it on my Windows NT 4.0
machine.  There is a printer driver called "Apple LaserWriter II NT
v47.0" that comes with NT that I would think would work (the printer's
PS interpreter reports Version 47.0) but it doesn't for some reason.
Even though after adding the printer, the test page does print.  The
PostScript this driver produces is different than that produced under
Windows 95.  The Win95 PS is smaller and all the lines end with CRLF I
suppose, whereas some lines in the WinNT PS end with \nl.  I just
installed GhostScript which is great!  I wonder if there is someway I
could get this printer working on my Windows NT machine.  Any ideas?

Ben.

Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:35:31 GMT
 Trying to get old PS printer working from Windows NT 4.0
Apple does not seem to have any LaserWriter drivers at their site that
work on an MS operating system except for these printers:  LaserWriter
8500, Color LaserWriter 12/660 PS, Color LaserWriter 12/600 PS,
LaserWriter 12/640 PS, LaserWriter 16/600 PS, LaserWriter Pro 600,
LaserWriter Pro 630, LaserWriter Select 360
Its like as far as they are concerned, the LaserWriter II NT never
existed (oh, but I keep forgetting that this printer was marketed as
an Apple printer and not for a PC).
I cannot find any WinNT print drivers in the jungle that is the MS
website.
At Adobe, I was temporarily elated to find universal PostScript
drivers for all MS operating systems, but upon further investigation I
see it is for PostScript versions 2 or later printers, sigh...

I wonder if the current Windows NT driver is outputting version 2
PostScript.  Does anyone know if there is anyway to determine
PostScript version from the Printer Driver output?

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:25:14 GMT
 Trying to get old PS printer working from Windows NT 4.0

Quote:

> Apple does not seem to have any LaserWriter drivers at their site that
> work on an MS operating system except for these printers:  LaserWriter
> 8500, Color LaserWriter 12/660 PS, Color LaserWriter 12/600 PS,
> LaserWriter 12/640 PS, LaserWriter 16/600 PS, LaserWriter Pro 600,
> LaserWriter Pro 630, LaserWriter Select 360

Why would you need one from Apple?  As early as Windows 95, and late
as Windows 2000 (I don't have XP handy to check, but I'd assume it was
the same), Microsoft was including drivers from the original
LaserWriter up through the 8500, the last laser printer Apple ever
produced.  If you can't even bother looking...

Now... *Adobe* doesn't have an easy-to-find freely available PS driver
for any of the Apple level one printers... is *that* perhaps what you
were looking at?

Quote:
> Its like as far as they are concerned, the LaserWriter II NT never
> existed (oh, but I keep forgetting that this printer was marketed as
> an Apple printer and not for a PC).

Apple has drivers for the NT on their ftp site... not that you need
them.  It's a null-modem serial connection to the printer.  Three
wires are all that's required.  The connection to the printer is 9600
bps unless someone's sent it a Postscript program to change it.  The
startup page the printer outputs when you turn it on will tell you
what the serial port is set to.

Oh, and if it was only marketed as an Apple printer, why is all this
extra stuff in the manual about connecting it to a PC?  Or all the
Unix boxen that had LaserWriters connected to them?

Quote:
> I cannot find any WinNT print drivers in the jungle that is the MS
> website.

There's no reason for them to be there... everything MS has is on the
Windows CD.  Apple's printers haven't changed significantly since
Windows 95.

I ran a LaserWriter IIntx for several years off an NT4 Workstation box
via 56k serial with nothing more for drivers than what MS shipped in
the box... then put it on ethernet with a localtalk-to-ethernet bridge
and *still* talk to it that way today (via NT4 Server and its
appletalk support).

Quote:
> At Adobe, I was temporarily elated to find universal PostScript
> drivers for all MS operating systems, but upon further investigation I
> see it is for PostScript versions 2 or later printers, sigh...

Well, v4 of the Adobe driver can talk to the level one printers... but
I don't know if they still distribute it from the ftp or not.  In any
case, as above, you don't need it.

Quote:
> I wonder if the current Windows NT driver is outputting version 2
> PostScript.  Does anyone know if there is anyway to determine
> PostScript version from the Printer Driver output?

Simple inspection of the PS output will tell you what it is.  The
"Generic Postscript" driver should output level one PS, while
printer-specific drivers may well be outputting level two.

Thu, 04 Aug 2005 02:43:54 GMT
 Trying to get old PS printer working from Windows NT 4.0
Dear Carl,
    Thank you so much for responding to my post in
comp.lang.postscript!
Will you help me to get my LaserWriter II NT working off my Windows NT
4.0 workstation?

Quote:

> > Apple does not seem to have any LaserWriter drivers at their site that
> > work on an MS operating system except for these printers:  LaserWriter
> > 8500, Color LaserWriter 12/660 PS, Color LaserWriter 12/600 PS,
> > LaserWriter 12/640 PS, LaserWriter 16/600 PS, LaserWriter Pro 600,
> > LaserWriter Pro 630, LaserWriter Select 360

> Why would you need one from Apple?  As early as Windows 95, and late
> as Windows 2000 (I don't have XP handy to check, but I'd assume it was
> the same), Microsoft was including drivers from the original
> LaserWriter up through the 8500, the last laser printer Apple ever
> produced.  If you can't even bother looking...

Did you see my original post?  I have tried using the "Apple
LaserWriter II NT v47.0" driver that was supplied with Windows NT 4.0
but it doesn't work.  I have also done a search through Google's
Groups and found about half a dozen other people making a similar
complaint.

Quote:
> Now... *Adobe* doesn't have an easy-to-find freely available PS driver
> for any of the Apple level one printers... is *that* perhaps what you
> were looking at?

> > Its like as far as they are concerned, the LaserWriter II NT never
> > existed (oh, but I keep forgetting that this printer was marketed as
> > an Apple printer and not for a PC).

> Apple has drivers for the NT on their ftp site... not that you need
> them.  It's a null-modem serial connection to the printer.  Three
> wires are all that's required.  The connection to the printer is 9600
> bps unless someone's sent it a Postscript program to change it.  The
> startup page the printer outputs when you turn it on will tell you
> what the serial port is set to.

Where can I get the Apple driver?  What's the address of the ftp site?
By the way, today I have been trying to do just that, change the BAUD
rate via a PostScript program, but it simply will not work!  Maybe you
could help me do that too.

Quote:
> Oh, and if it was only marketed as an Apple printer, why is all this
> extra stuff in the manual about connecting it to a PC?  Or all the
> Unix boxen that had LaserWriters connected to them?

Oh, I WISH I could find a used manual for this printer.  Anyone?

Quote:
> > I cannot find any WinNT print drivers in the jungle that is the MS
> > website.

> There's no reason for them to be there... everything MS has is on the
> Windows CD.  Apple's printers haven't changed significantly since
> Windows 95.

> I ran a LaserWriter IIntx for several years off an NT4 Workstation box
> via 56k serial with nothing more for drivers than what MS shipped in
> the box... then put it on ethernet with a localtalk-to-ethernet bridge
> and *still* talk to it that way today (via NT4 Server and its
> appletalk support).

Please, please tell me how you did this!  What driver did you use (for
the 56k serial, not the appletalk)?  Did you use the "Apple
LaserWriter II NTX 47.0"?  Because I tried that and it seems to output
the same code as the "Apple LaserWriter II NT 47.0".

Quote:
> > At Adobe, I was temporarily elated to find universal PostScript
> > drivers for all MS operating systems, but upon further investigation I
> > see it is for PostScript versions 2 or later printers, sigh...

> Well, v4 of the Adobe driver can talk to the level one printers... but
> I don't know if they still distribute it from the ftp or not.  In any
> case, as above, you don't need it.

> > I wonder if the current Windows NT driver is outputting version 2
> > PostScript.  Does anyone know if there is anyway to determine
> > PostScript version from the Printer Driver output?

> Simple inspection of the PS output will tell you what it is.  The
> "Generic Postscript" driver should output level one PS, while
> printer-specific drivers may well be outputting level two.

There are three entries under "Generic" when I run the Add Printer
Wizard:  "Generic / Text Only", "Generic IBM Graphics 9pin", and
"Generic IBM Graphics 9pin wide".  There is no "Generic PostScript" as
far as I can tell...

Thanks for your help!

Ben.

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 01:27:23 GMT

1. PostScript Printer Driver AdobePS 5.0 for Windows NT 4.0 - U.S. English

2. Problems Installing Windows Script 5.0 and Windows Script Host 2.0 Beta on Windows NT 4.0

3. PS fonts and Windows NT 4.0

4. PS to PDF under windows NT 4.0 ?

5. PS printer emulation on Windows 95/NT

6. How do I get Shell.Application to work in NT 4.0

7. it's work with windows NT not with Windows 95

8. WSH works with NT 4.0

9. WSH is not working under NT 4.0

10. page setup with CorelDraw 6.0 under Windows NT 4.0

11. Font quality from Postscript on Windows NT 4.0

12. DeskJet 1000C and Windows NT 4.0