Postscript Newbie -- Please Help ! ROLL problem 
Author Message
 Postscript Newbie -- Please Help ! ROLL problem

Hi Guys

I have a legacy CAD package called ISIS Supersketch which runs under DOS
that I am very fond of.

I runs find on my office machine in a DOS box under Win 98

I want to be able to output drawings in postscript format to files so
that I can run them through Distiller to get .pdf's or alternatively
send them to my postscript printer.

The ISIS package is set to output in Postscript as one of it's print
options and uses a file called psdvc.ps (supplied with ISIS) as part of
that process.

I end up with a postscript file (test.ps) which when I run through
Distiller gives me an error message (test.log) which seems to indicate a
definition or macro called "/line" or "line" in psdvc.ps containing ROLL
is causing a problem with a stack.

I have put the files in question in this directory, here:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

I was hoping somebody could help me to fix psdvc.ps so that I can get
postscript outputs that will Distill or print on my printer.

When I send the file produced (test.ps) to the printer it is just
ignored.

Thanks in advance.
--
My Sig is on holiday in France..



Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:05:12 GMT  
 Postscript Newbie -- Please Help ! ROLL problem

Quote:

>Hi Guys

>I have a legacy CAD package called ISIS Supersketch which runs under DOS
>that I am very fond of.

>I runs find on my office machine in a DOS box under Win 98

>I want to be able to output drawings in postscript format to files so
>that I can run them through Distiller to get .pdf's or alternatively
>send them to my postscript printer.

>The ISIS package is set to output in Postscript as one of it's print
>options and uses a file called psdvc.ps (supplied with ISIS) as part of
>that process.

>I end up with a postscript file (test.ps) which when I run through
>Distiller gives me an error message (test.log) which seems to indicate a
>definition or macro called "/line" or "line" in psdvc.ps containing ROLL
>is causing a problem with a stack.

What is the exact, full, error message? It is never a good idea to
paraphrase a PostScript error, as it usually leaves out all the
important parts. (See also http://www.*-*-*.com/ )

Quote:

>I have put the files in question in this directory, here:

> http://www.*-*-*.com/

>I was hoping somebody could help me to fix psdvc.ps so that I can get
>postscript outputs that will Distill or print on my printer.

>When I send the file produced (test.ps) to the printer it is just
>ignored.

Probably not ignored; probably produces the same error. You may find
there is a way to have your printer print an error sheet, but most do
not.
----------------------------------------

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.  


Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:51:15 GMT  
 Postscript Newbie -- Please Help ! ROLL problem


Quote:

>>I end up with a postscript file (test.ps) which when I run through
>>Distiller gives me an error message (test.log) which seems to indicate a
>>definition or macro called "/line" or "line" in psdvc.ps containing ROLL
>>is causing a problem with a stack.

>What is the exact, full, error message? It is never a good idea to
>paraphrase a PostScript error, as it usually leaves out all the
>important parts. (See also http://www.quite.com/ps/errors.htm)

Thanks for your response.

From test.log produced by Distiller:
-------------------------------------------------------
%%[ Error: stackunderflow; OffendingCommand: roll ]%%

Stack:
2
4
11000
16000
0

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
--------------------------------------------------------------

So the problem appears to be the word "roll" which looking at psdvc.ps I
see is invoked in /line or line

Problem is I don't know enough about PS to know why that the use of
"roll" is but I do know enough Forth to see that PS appears to be very
Forth-like.

Thanks for your response.

David
--
My Sig is on holiday in France..



Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:17:16 GMT  
 Postscript Newbie -- Please Help ! ROLL problem

Quote:




>>>I end up with a postscript file (test.ps) which when I run through
>>>Distiller gives me an error message (test.log) which seems to indicate a
>>>definition or macro called "/line" or "line" in psdvc.ps containing ROLL
>>>is causing a problem with a stack.

In PostScript terms, the file is simply wrong. Finding out why is
harder.

The definition of the line procedure is

% Purpose: draw simple line
% Usage:   x1 y1 x2 y2 t line
/line
 { setlinewidth
   4 2 roll
   moveto
   lineto
   stroke
 } def

So, 5 arguments. 2 pairs of endpoints, and (in this case) a line
thickness.

But if we look at this being used in the actual code we see

0 16000 11000 16000 line
11000 16000 11000 0 line
11000 0 0 0 line
0 0 0 16000 line
1160 3600 1140 3590 line
...

and many more. Clearly four arguments. There are other examples
waiting if this is fixed: the quadrant procedure expects 10 arguments
but only gets 9.

I rather suspect that the program generating the PostScript was
enhanced at some point, and the header updated, but somehow the old
program is now in use. In other words, the header and program are out
of step with each other, and incompatible.
----------------------------------------

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.  



Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:26:55 GMT  
 Postscript Newbie -- Please Help ! ROLL problem


snippity-snip

Quote:
>and many more. Clearly four arguments. There are other examples
>waiting if this is fixed: the quadrant procedure expects 10 arguments
>but only gets 9.

>I rather suspect that the program generating the PostScript was
>enhanced at some point, and the header updated, but somehow the old
>program is now in use. In other words, the header and program are out
>of step with each other, and incompatible.

That figures. I did not have psdvc.ps on my machine when I tried a print
run and got it by digging out my original floppy discs.

It is very possible I got out an earlier version by mistake, so what you
are saying sounds quite correct.

Thank you for your time and patience.

I will look for the correct file at the weekend and let you know how I
get on.
--
My Sig is on holiday in France..



Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:31:08 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. newbie at wits end - please help simple problem

2. Please Help Newbie with VBSCRIPT Problem

3. Newbie stuck with really simple problem - Please help.

4. ASP Newbie - User Login Problem - PLEASE HELP!

5. PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP

6. fonts in postscript -- a problem -- please help

7. postscript problems... please help

8. HELP! Please, Postscript font problem

9. Help Please - Problem with JetPage PostScript emulation cartridge

10. newbie help please - update a record in a database

11. Syntax error - please help Newbie

12. Please help a newbie

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software