PS Level 3 support? 
Author Message
 PS Level 3 support?


Quote:

>How widespread is support for postscript Level 3?  The laser printer I just
>got only supports Level 2 (HP LJ 6/MP).

Alwasy Ask Before You Buy....

Quote:
> Is it likely that printers will be upgradable to Level 3?

It Depends On The Printer.  To be more accurate and depressing, it probably
depends on decisions made by non-technical managers at the printer
manufacturer...

Quote:
>  I ask
>because Illustrator 8.0 has a gradient mesh feature that is only natively
>supported by Level 3 PS interpreters.

The various level-converter tools will undoubtedly acquire the ability to
convert LL3 to L2 before long.  Of course, at the moment, getting our
mainstream OEMs up to speed on LL3 is a priority for all of us:-)  After that,
glitzy things like converters come next.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ian Kemmish                   18 Durham Close, Biggleswade, Beds SG18 8HZ, UK

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Behind every successful organisation stands one person who knows the secret
of how to keep the managers away from anything truly important.



Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PS Level 3 support?

Quote:

>How widespread is support for PostScript Level 3?  The laser printer I just
>got only supports Level 2 (HP LJ 6/MP).  Is it only for high-end stuff, or
>what?  Is it likely that printers will be upgradable to Level 3?  I ask
>because Illustrator 8.0 has a gradient mesh feature that is only natively
>supported by Level 3 PS interpreters.

The chance that the HP 6MP (actually, quite an old printer, I think -
a year or so), will be upgradeable must be close to zero. It was about
the last printer before HP stopped using Adobe interpreters.
----------------------------------------

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.  


Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PS Level 3 support?

Quote:
> The various level-converter tools will undoubtedly acquire the
> ability to convert LL3 to L2 before long.  Of course, at the moment,
> getting our mainstream OEMs up to speed on LL3 is a priority for all
> of us:-) After that, glitzy things like converters come next.

Well, converters... the question interests me too, because what do I
do if someone tells my code to print a partially transparent image
(like those from transparent gifs)?

I can require L3 (which a converter can't), or I can pretend the thing
is the usual sort of opaque rectangle on L<3 printers, or I can scan
for transparent pixels and build the mother of all clippaths.

It seems to me that converters can't always do the job.

--Arnt (slightly irritated)



Sat, 31 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PS Level 3 support?

Quote:


>> The various level-converter tools will undoubtedly acquire the
>> ability to convert LL3 to L2 before long.  Of course, at the moment,
>> getting our mainstream OEMs up to speed on LL3 is a priority for all
>> of us:-) After that, glitzy things like converters come next.

>Well, converters... the question interests me too, because what do I
>do if someone tells my code to print a partially transparent image
>(like those from transparent gifs)?

>I can require L3 (which a converter can't), or I can pretend the thing
>is the usual sort of opaque rectangle on L<3 printers, or I can scan
>for transparent pixels and build the mother of all clippaths.

Actually, that one isn't too bad. The image becomes a series of images
in strips, blocks or even single pixels. Indeed, the code to do that
has appeared here.

Emulating /DeviceN is possible, though the results may not be as
expected (though they could be legal).

Converting gradient fills, now, that's an interesting one.
----------------------------------------

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.  



Sat, 31 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. PS Level 1 vs. PS Level 2

2. how to print PS level 3 on PS level 2 printer

3. Level 3 ps -> level 2 ps

4. ps level I and ps level II

5. How to convert PS Level 2/EPS to Level 1

6. PS Level 2: How many setgray levels?

7. ps level 1 vs level 2

8. Level 2 PS vs Level 1 vs PCL + PP XL

9. Ghostscript 5.50 binary for Win32 including level 3 support

10. ISO: Tools for determining printing level support

11. Support for extended character sets in Level 1

12. Looking for Distillery w/ Level 2 support

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software