ps to tif change
Author Message
 ps to tif change

I have graphics in postscript documents which I want to change to tif
format are there any utilites doing this favour?

Michael Gassner
mg(at)syria-net.com

Thu, 28 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ps to tif change

Hi!

Quote:
> I have graphics in postscript documents which I want to change to tif
> format are there any utilites doing this favour?

You asked the same question in a German newsgroup? :-)
For all, who are interested in the solution:

gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -r300x300 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=xxx.tif -sDEVICE=tiff24nc xxx.ps

Stephan.

--

http://www.leo.org/~loescher/
Try the new LEO-Search: http://www.leo.org/archiv/leo-search.html

Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ps to tif change

Quote:

> I have graphics in postscript documents which I want to change to tif
> format are there any utilites doing this favour?

If you are interested in commercial solution you might want to have a
look at our product The Graphics Connection. It does PostScript
conversion into bitmao (tiff, gif) and vector (wmf, mif) formats.

Check our web-site for more info: http://www.square1.nl

--
Square One B.V.
Willemsparkweg 52-1        tel:    int+ 31 20 673 11 02

Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ps to tif change

Quote:

> Hi!

> > I have graphics in postscript documents which I want to change to tif
> > format are there any utilites doing this favour?

> You asked the same question in a German newsgroup? :-)
> For all, who are interested in the solution:

> gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -r300x300 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=xxx.tif \
> -sDEVICE=tiff24nc xxx.ps

Err, no.
If I understand him correctly, he wants to get the _embedded_ picture in the
PS-File, not an image of the full page.
As for the answer:
No, there is no general way.
You can, however, copy the image bits out of the PS-file and convert them into
an image proper, since PS has basically three image-formats:
- 256 greylevel bitmap
- 24 bit color bitmap
- 24 bit color JPEG (Level 2 only, /DCTDecode filter needed)
The JPG is easy, simply copy the bits (might need further decoding if
additional filters are used, eg /ASCII85Decode) to a file and off you
go.
The bitmaps require some more work; you need to figure out the actual
image size of the bitmap. After you have done that, you can create a
PGM/PPM header and again copy the image bits that.

So the answer in principle would be yes.
(Not counting any answers from Radio Yerewan).

Cheers,

Hannes
---
Not having a .sig is considered weird these days. Weird.

Mon, 02 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ps to tif change

I'm looking for a DLL based method of converting from PS to TIFF, I'd like
to use this in a VB program.

This is for a conversion program that reads Postscript files, converts them
to TIFF and then passes them to a FAX server which faxes them out. The
conversion program processes about 1500 files per day and this is likely to
increase.

I'm currently using Image Alchemy which is a DOS based (command line)
program that requires a child process that actually does the conversion but,
as it can take a minute to convert a single file, I want to lose the
overhead of that child process and speed up the conversions.

Any ideas?

Regards

Mike
--
Mike Lacey, Open Systems Engineer
Cargill PLC, UK

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ps to tif change

We make a DLL which converts PostScript to WMF, WPG, CGM
and MIF. We are preparing versions of it for TIFF and GIF
which should be ready in June. I'll keep you posted.
Are you interested in beta-testing in May?
jean haney
--
The Graphics Connection (tm)
Converts PostScript to WMF, MIF, CGM, HPGL, GIF, TIFF & more!

SQUARE ONE BV              tel:    int+ 31 20 673 11 02
Willemsparkweg 52-1        fax:    int+ 31 20 675 78 44

The Netherlands            www:    http://www.square1.nl

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ps to tif change

Quote:

>I'm looking for a DLL based method of converting from PS to TIFF, I'd like
>to use this in a VB program.

>This is for a conversion program that reads Postscript files, converts them
>to TIFF and then passes them to a FAX server which faxes them out. The
>conversion program processes about 1500 files per day and this is likely to
>increase.

>I'm currently using Image Alchemy which is a DOS based (command line)
>program that requires a child process that actually does the conversion but,
>as it can take a minute to convert a single file, I want to lose the
>overhead of that child process and speed up the conversions.

I don't understand the argument...if it takes a minute to do the
conversion, then the overhead of starting a separate program is a
very, very small part of that minute.

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ps to tif change

Aandi is quite right - the overhead of actually starting that child process
is a small element of the overall conversion time.

What I'm really after here is more control of the process. I want to end up
with a multi-threaded PS->TiFF server and I see moving to a DLL based
conversion method as a first step to that. The process is very IO intensive
at the moment which, if that's true as we move to an InProcess and then an
OutOfProcess OLE server,  gives some considerable scope for multi-threading.

Regards

Mike

Quote:

>>I'm looking for a DLL based method of converting from PS to TIFF
>>This is for a conversion program that reads Postscript files, The
>>conversion program processes about 1500 files per day and this is likely
>>increase.

>>I'm currently using Image Alchemy which is a DOS based (command line)
>>program that requires a child process that actually does the conversion
but,
>>as it can take a minute to convert a single file, I want to lose the
>>overhead of that child process and speed up the conversions.

>I don't understand the argument...if it takes a minute to do the
>conversion, then the overhead of starting a separate program is a
>very, very small part of that minute.

Sat, 07 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ps to tif change

Why not use the ghostscript DLL directly?  There are instructions on how to use
it in the dll.txt file in the distribution.

Dave.
--

David Meeker, Ph.D.

http://members.aol.com/dcm3c

Sat, 07 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ps to tif change

: I'm currently using Image Alchemy which is a DOS based (command line)
: program that requires a child process that actually does the conversion but,
: as it can take a minute to convert a single file, I want to lose the
: overhead of that child process and speed up the conversions.

: Any ideas?

Hello, there. As a user of the DOS version, and also a beta tester for it,
I may not be the most impartial person to ask <grin>, but I do understand
that for Windows users, there is now a Windows 95/NT version available.

Also, while the DOS version supports internal threading, at least the UNIX
version has supported multiple processors since around late 1996. I'm not
sure whether this multiprocessor support has been extended yet to NT,
although it would certainly make sense.

For more information, you might check

http://www.handmadesw.com

Of course, I should add that Image Alchemy PS is only one alternative in
this area, and that Windows users might be better able to judge the range
of choices for that environment.

Most respectfully,

Margo Schulter

Sat, 07 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT