Times Greek boldface/italic and Times vs Symbol
Author Message
 Times Greek boldface/italic and Times vs Symbol

1) Are there any Greek boldface, italic, and boldface italic postscript
   fonts available, designed to match Times Roman?

2) Why are the characters in the Symbol font just similar to the ones in
   the Times Roman font, and not identical to them?  (At least, that's
   the way things are on our Apple LaserWriter II NTX running PostScript
   version 47.0.)  The following program illustrates the differences.

%!
/fontsize 30 def
/times /Times-Roman findfont fontsize scalefont def
/symbol /Symbol findfont fontsize scalefont def
/Hheight gsave times setfont newpath 0 0 moveto (H) false charpath flattenpath
  pathbbox 4 1 roll pop pop pop grestore def
/line {gsave exec grestore 0 fontsize neg rmoveto} def
/diff {
  {timestext ( (Times Roman)) show} line
  {symboltext times setfont ( (Symbol)) show} line
  {gsave timestext ( (Times Roman minus Symbol)) show grestore 1 setgray
    symboltext} line
  {gsave symboltext times setfont ( (Symbol minus Times Roman)) show grestore
    1 setgray timestext} line

Quote:
} def

90 rotate 72 -72 Hheight sub moveto
/timestext {times setfont (ABEHIKMNOPTXYZ) show} def
/symboltext {symbol setfont (ABEHIKMNORTCUZ) show} def
diff
{} line
/timestext {times setfont (!#%&()*+,.0123456789:;<=>?) show} def
/symboltext {symbol setfont (!#%&()*+,.0123456789:;<=>?) show} def
diff

showpage

Department of Numerical Analysis        If you can't fully handle domains:

Royal Institute of Technology,          UUCP: {uunet,mcvax,...}!nada.kth.se!jmr

Sweden.                                 Phone: +46-8-7906288

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 17:38:00 GMT
 Times Greek boldface/italic and Times vs Symbol

Quote:
> 1) Are there any Greek boldface, italic, and boldface italic PostScript
>    fonts available, designed to match Times Roman?

> 2) Why are the characters in the Symbol font just similar to the ones in
>    the Times Roman font, and not identical to them?  (At least, that's
>    the way things are on our Apple LaserWriter II NTX running PostScript
>    version 47.0.)  The following program illustrates the differences.

> %!
> /fontsize 30 def
> /times /Times-Roman findfont fontsize scalefont def
> /symbol /Symbol findfont fontsize scalefont def
> /Hheight gsave times setfont newpath 0 0 moveto (H) false charpath flattenpath
>   pathbbox 4 1 roll pop pop pop grestore def
> /line {gsave exec grestore 0 fontsize neg rmoveto} def
> /diff {
>   {timestext ( (Times Roman)) show} line
>   {symboltext times setfont ( (Symbol)) show} line
>   {gsave timestext ( (Times Roman minus Symbol)) show grestore 1 setgray
>     symboltext} line
>   {gsave symboltext times setfont ( (Symbol minus Times Roman)) show grestore
>     1 setgray timestext} line
> } def

> 90 rotate 72 -72 Hheight sub moveto
> /timestext {times setfont (ABEHIKMNOPTXYZ) show} def
> /symboltext {symbol setfont (ABEHIKMNORTCUZ) show} def
> diff
> {} line
> /timestext {times setfont (!#%&()*+,.0123456789:;<=>?) show} def
> /symboltext {symbol setfont (!#%&()*+,.0123456789:;<=>?) show} def
> diff

> showpage

> Department of Numerical Analysis   If you can't fully handle domains:

> Royal Institute of Technology,             UUCP: {uunet,mcvax,...}!nada.kth.se!jmr

> Sweden.                                    Phone: +46-8-7906288

You can create these fairly easily.  What you have to do is create a new
font.  The Blue book gives some examples.  The trick is to manipulate the
scaling entry for the base font.  When you create the new font, say GreekItalic
you compute the angle to slant the font, like the examples in the red and
blue books (the Alice Carrol example).  Change the fontmatrix entry in the
font dictionary to incorporate the change.  Register the font, and it wil be
an obliqued Greek Font.  By scaling the characters a bit wider, you can get
a bold effect as well..  It is about the best you can do....

Cheers

Woody

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 13:01:00 GMT

1. data modules

2. Sound in win95 from Tp 7.0?

3. loop index question

4. Object Time Out vs. Session Time Out

5. ASP Time vs. VB Client time

6. Making Italic, Bold, and Bold-Italic versions of Symbol font

7. Boldface math/greek font?

8. Printing a DBGrid

9. B.A.T.P.U.G.

10. ISO Latin2 (Central Europe) Times Italic font is buggy on Solaris 7

11. GS3.53 Problem with Times-Italic font